The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Bieksa making a case for captaincy?

zombieksa

Even if Bieksa makes a good case, I don't think anyone will usurp Hank as captain. It's like Lidstrom and Yzerman, even though Lidstrom made a strong case for the captain he couldn't take it over Yzerman.

There will always be a core group of leader on any team, that doesn't necessary make it right to give it to the guy, who you suddenly feel should be leader because he is being more vocal in the media. The leader should always be the best player on the ice because he'll be the guy to count for, when you're down with a few minutes left in the third. He's the guy, people group around. Don't mess with this guy, or we'll get you back type of rah rah. Guy represents the team.

Unfortunately. One, even if our Captain knew how to fight, there isn't enough toughness for the team to defend him. We've seen it time and time again, that our best players get beat up because there isn't anyone stepping up. We've gotten a few more guys but because they haven't reach potential or are just enforcers that they aren't effective enough for anyone to care about them.

Needless to say, Bieksa would make a terrible captain. If he was a skilled, bigger, and can hit harder. Then, maybe but this guy is ineffective at best. He's at best when he isn't noticed and playing a defensive game. Throughout his career he hasn't been able to carry his own defensive pairing, so much that he's had Mitchell and Hamhuis pretty much carve a career for him. Even from playing two of the top defensive players in the game, he's still had trouble and we've been about his butt about it every year. You really think he's going to stay longer than Hank? Bieksa will probably have 2-3 decent years and we'll either force him out of town or he'd continue on the team as a 5-6 because while, he starts to decline. They're guys that will be better. The Corrado will be similar or better than Bieksa by then.

You need to make a consistent player's Captains. You really can't have the mindset of a "Kesler should be captain" and "Kesler shouldn't be Captain" opinions after 1 season. Bieksa is sure as hell isn't one of those players in the play consistently category. One, who might top the list? His Partner, who should get more consideration. Vocal players shouldn't be Captains. They become over confident and do stupid things. Kesler is a huge example. Unless you are the best player in the game, the greatest leaders are the quiet ones that let their game on the ice do the talking.

There will always be a core group of leader on any team, that doesn't necessary make it right to give it to the guy, who you suddenly feel should be leader because he is being more vocal in the media. The leader should always be the best player on the ice because he'll be the guy to count for, when you're down with a few minutes left in the third. He's the guy, people group around. Don't mess with this guy, or we'll get you back type of rah rah. Guy represents the team.

Unfortunately. One, even if our Captain knew how to fight, there isn't enough toughness for the team to defend him. We've seen it time and time again, that our best players get beat up because there isn't anyone stepping up. We've gotten a few more guys but because they haven't reach potential or are just enforcers that they aren't effective enough for anyone to care about them.

Needless to say, Bieksa would make a terrible captain. If he was a skilled, bigger, and can hit harder. Then, maybe but this guy is ineffective at best. He's at best when he isn't noticed and playing a defensive game. Throughout his career he hasn't been able to carry his own defensive pairing, so much that he's had Mitchell and Hamhuis pretty much carve a career for him. Even from playing two of the top defensive players in the game, he's still had trouble and we've been about his butt about it every year. You really think he's going to stay longer than Hank? Bieksa will probably have 2-3 decent years and we'll either force him out of town or he'd continue on the team as a 5-6 because while, he starts to decline. They're guys that will be better. The Corrado will be similar or better than Bieksa by then.

You need to make a consistent player's Captains. You really can't have the mindset of a "Kesler should be captain" and "Kesler shouldn't be Captain" opinions after 1 season. Bieksa is sure as hell isn't one of those players in the play consistently category. One, who might top the list? His Partner, who should get more consideration. Vocal players shouldn't be Captains. They become over confident and do stupid things. Kesler is a huge example. Unless you are the best player in the game, the greatest leaders are the quiet ones that let their game on the ice do the talking.

if god forbid henrik got traded tomorrow, Bieksa would hands down be my number 1 choice.. If i were on the team, theres nobody i'd want more to lead me into battle at the stanley cup finals.. just on his manlyness alone lol(no homo) but seriously with him at the helm, he would feel a bigger obligation to set the precedence that we as a team would not and i mean NOT be pushed around. Go ahead thornton put your finger in Kevin Bieksas face.

As much as I like Kevin i don't think he should wear the "C". I think that he should receive an "A" for sure. But there are other players on the team that I think should wear the "C" before Kevin.

Kevin is quality. He is a driven leader and can turn games around on his own from time to time. The only thing stopping him from being captain is that fact that we have so many quality people/players in the locker room. He and the other Canucks have way too much respect for one and other for anyone to challenge for the C barring an extreme injury, trade or retirement. Given his play since Hank became captain I would slot him in a tie for second with Kes. He has proven he can carry the load and would consider the C a tremendous honour. I would be a proud fan with Juice as our captain, but no more or no less than I am with Hank now.

Quality People + Quality Players = Quality Team

Archived