The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Bieksa making a case for captaincy?

zombieksa

i think hammer would be ahead of him in that race.

but i say in three years E.Lack for captain that guy is pure awesome.. never mind if he is a goalie or heck even the back up he should be our captain

or that Hank guy who ever he is....

Well, you created a thread to suggest Bieksa was doing charitable things, raising a family and being funny on twitter and in interviews to try and supplant Henrik as captain. That's arguably a pretty suggestive thread that really isn't about a discussion - unless it's a discussion about how you're applying to become Tony Gallagher's replacement when he retires.

If he had the balls to go after Keith or Runty in Boston ya maybe. If that happened in Smyl's day he would have waited for the next shift, or next game they met and gone right after them. That's what a captain does. By no means is Bieksa not a very good player and an important part of the team, but he just doesn't bring the grit he used to when he started in the league and I think the next captain on the nucks needs that. Henrik is so elite that it doesn't matter but we don't have an elite guy to fill that spot then you need a guy who leads the team with emotion. One could argue Hammer is elite on D and could play that role and I could see that.

My thought, groom Kassian. He will have 5 years with the Sedin's still around, by that point he will be 26. Develop his offensive game by letting him play top 2 lines. Allow him to unleash his temper, AV tried to keep it in check, its an asset, it intimidates, thats part of the game. And have Henrik, Daniel, Hammer coach him on how to lead in the room, off the ice, and on.

My hope is that Zack is the next captain of this team, and if he is, it will mean he has turned into a beauty.

Archived