86 replies to this topic

#31 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

Bieksa could be Captain of this team, no doubt. But Kesler is not Captain material. He doesn't have the personality to be Captain of an NHL team.

Assistant Captain is Kesler's ceiling as far as a leadership role on the team goes.

#32 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

I could see him as captain if the Twins moved to another team.
Posted Image

#33 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

As much as I like Kevin i don't think he should wear the "C". I think that he should receive an "A" for sure. But there are other players on the team that I think should wear the "C" before Kevin.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#34 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

As much as I like Kevin i don't think he should wear the "C". I think that he should receive an "A" for sure. But there are other players on the team that I think should wear the "C" before Kevin.

He already does wear an 'A' on the road.

Who should wear the 'C' according to you and why?

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#35 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,926 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

I don't know, I always got the feeling he was kind of immature.

#36 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,088 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

None of us are in the locker room so we really don't know who truly should be the captain. I'll leave that to the coaching staff and management.

15yezck.jpg

@Chel24Seven

#37 Exarch

Exarch

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

If being Captain would mean Bieksa would have to tone down his commentary in the least, I vote no. Same with Kesler.. I wouldn't want to mess with his personal style.
Posted Image

#38 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

Kevin is quality. He is a driven leader and can turn games around on his own from time to time. The only thing stopping him from being captain is that fact that we have so many quality people/players in the locker room. He and the other Canucks have way too much respect for one and other for anyone to challenge for the C barring an extreme injury, trade or retirement. Given his play since Hank became captain I would slot him in a tie for second with Kes. He has proven he can carry the load and would consider the C a tremendous honour. I would be a proud fan with Juice as our captain, but no more or no less than I am with Hank now.

Quality People + Quality Players = Quality Team
linden Vey Sig

#39 canucks10271999

canucks10271999

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Lets not forget what he said about money on the radio. "How much money does someone really need? Come on..." about Ehrhoff lol

Bieksa is my favourite Canuck

but your name is henrik sedin

#40 Puck'nAnimal

Puck'nAnimal

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

Oh, geez, if KB was captain. I'd love the after-game interviews. Wouldn't know what the hell would come out of Juice's mouth in terms of after game commentary. Yep...a "tagline" every night. :blink: :huh: :P :towel:

HistoryVisionDrive-HeartofaCanuck_rs.jpg

#41 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

I think that the role of captain should be left for someone who is less of the rah-rah type, who instead leads by letting his play do the talking. Dan Hamhuis gets my vote.

Excellent idea, give preference to a less vocal guy who wouldn't chirp and smash the faces in of enemy players who go after our stars.... also a guy who's been here for just over two years... :picard:

#42 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Excellent idea, give preference to a less vocal guy who wouldn't chirp and smash the faces in of enemy players who go after our stars.... also a guy who's been here for just over two years... :picard:

When was the last time Bieksa did any of that?

Leadership and locker room presence is nice, but a captain also needs to be a top tier player. It's hard to look up to and take any kind of mentoring from a player who isn't as good as you. I would look at what some of our prospects have become when the time comes for a new C.

#43 KB_3

KB_3

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

I would love to so bieksa getting the C

#44 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,970 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

It's no secret that Bieksa has assumed a leadership role without having to make it official with a badge. He's considered the spokesman of the team and I like the fact that this team can share the load and allow for others to step up in different capacities. Hank's obviously the on ice "Captain" and, in the community, Bieksa is the one who is always available for comment and accessible.

Posted Image

#45 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

It's no secret that Bieksa has assumed a leadership role without having to make it official with a badge. He's considered the spokesman of the team and I like the fact that this team can share the load and allow for others to step up different capacities. Hank's obviously the on ice "Captain" and, in the community, Bieksa is the one who is always available for comment and
accessible.

I agree Totally. I mainly started this thread as a scenario that sees henrik retire in 2 or 3 seasons. I am very happy with Henriks leadership.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#46 Mcfly

Mcfly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

S'tuff to say.
I don't see it on our team, but if he went somewhere else, I bet he'd make great captain material.

Then again, I don't want him to go anywhere's.

Dank2013_zps1833a257.jpg

#47 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

I love Bieksa I am a huge fan of his and I feel that he is a major cog more so than Kesler and one of the most important members of our team that said I'm not sure he has the talent level to be a captain. I would probably vote for Hamhuis to be captain before him of our current roster players. But of course the Captaincy belongs to Henrik and rightfully so I can't see that changing for quite some time. Bieksa surely deserves to be a full time ass cap tho.

Edited by honey badger36, 04 October 2012 - 06:57 PM.

#48 10Bure14Burrows

10Bure14Burrows

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

Yeap
Juice forsure
Forever Canuck !

#49 Green Goblin

Green Goblin

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

Bieksa would be an awesome captain! But I think based on talent and if re-signed, Edler could become a great (Lindstrom type: humble) captain AFTER the Sedins retire.
Posted Image

#50 GloveSaveLuongo

GloveSaveLuongo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

bieksa seems like a great choice to me:) not the best player, but defniitely one of the leaders on the team.
Go Canucks Go!

#51 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

FIRST OF ALL, I'm SURE it was mature to facepalm me for making PERFECTLY valid points that you just didn't end up liking:

Posted Image

SECONDLY, having a player with the personality and boldness to antagonize opponents as the leader will SURELY bode well for team success (good luck leading from the penalty box, Mr. Lapierre!)

Look, it's not the leader's job to do headhunting, smart guy; why would you necessarily want the leader, a valuable member of the team, to be someone so polarizing and volatile? (It's not like my recommendation won't stand up for himself or make pivotal physical or defensive plays, just as Mr. Lucic who he flipped; at least he has the sense to not jeopardize his team's chances by being an utter GOON when he knows that he's more valuable making plays than sitting in the box for slashing or mouthing off).

Edited by g@m3b0i, 04 October 2012 - 09:43 PM.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#52 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Edited by Mother Russia, 04 October 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#53 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

FIRST OF ALL, I'm SURE it was mature to facepalm me for making PERFECTLY valid points that you just didn't end up liking:

Posted Image

SECONDLY, having a player with the personality and boldness to antagonize opponents as the leader will SURELY bode well for team success (good luck leading from the penalty box, Mr. Lapierre!)

Look, it's not the leader's job to do headhunting, smart guy; why would you necessarily want the leader, a valuable member of the team, to be someone so polarizing and volatile? (It's not like my recommendation won't stand up for himself or make pivotal physical or defensive plays, just as Mr. Lucic who he flipped; at least he has the sense to not jeopardize his team's chances by being an utter GOON when he knows that he's more valuable making plays than sitting in the box for slashing or mouthing off).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d99hWKrbwzE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZQRomZalhk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I-J5yig7nY

Shane Doan does a pretty good job :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard:

Edited by Mother Russia, 04 October 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#54 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,532 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

I'm hoping that when the Sedins retire or leave town and a new captain is to be named that we will have a top notch star quality young player ready to take over this team's leadership. Get on it Gillis......;)

#55 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 71,017 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

I don't want this team switching captains every 2 years or so. What's wrong with Henrik? I could see Kesler being the next captain after Henrik.

307mg00.jpg

#56 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

I think Jensen is going to be the man for the job when Hernrik retires. I'm all for Juice as captain though.

Henrik is by far my favorite Canuck, I'm glad that he's the leader of our team.

#57 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,358 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Bieksa over Kesler any day of the week. You don't want a guy with such ridiculous diving antics being your captain, because you dont want your young players thinking its ok. Bieksa seems to be held in high regard inside the dressing room, he is a team first guy, and just a general beauty all around. That being said, if something crazy happened, and we lost Henrik to injury or something, Daniel Sedin is my next choice for captain, with Bieksa sitting in 3rd. Malhotra would be right up there if not for his decline following the injury.

My rankings:

1.Henrik Sedin
2.Daniel Sedin
3.Kevin Bieksa
4.Alex Burrows
5.Dan Hamhuis

Burrows is more useful as an agitator and is useful at getting under opponents skins, I'd put Hamhuis over him.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#58 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:21 AM

Obviously he is worthy.

When you have a likeable personality in the room, that person is going to be respected and listened to. That is Bieksa. Throw on top of that he plays any role for us and is a big contributor on the back end.
Posted Image

#59 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:12 AM

I'd support it as he is a great spokesperson for the Canucks but not while Hank is Captain of the team.

#60 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

I would heavily respect Bieksa as Captain. He probably would be odd's on favorite followed closely by Hamhuis.

But my pick, and around the league (in Boston anyway) it would raise eyebrows, is Burrows!

Who else epitomizes the Rocky Balboa we all see in ourselves; who can come from the ECHL and work his way all the way up as the surprising but now steady workhorse on one of (if not) THE most productive lines of NHL in the last 5 years? Burrows slays dragons, and is the first to take on the Duncan Kieth's of the world despite being 185 lbs. He also clocked Tim Thomas regardless of how many goons were coming into the scrum. He is amongst the best teammates anybody else remember his ongoing tributes to Luc Bourdon? And has fun, remember him busting his stick, signifying breaking Detroits ridiculous home win streak? That makes him less politically correct, but a guy you love to have on your team. I want him as captain.

Last year, he was our difference maker and always makes the effort to step up. When we were in the post deadline doldrums; it was Burr who went down to the 3rd line and single handily rejuvenated their work ethic. Then moved up and got Booth and Kess going. And we know what he does for the Twins and our PK. Nobody, not even Hank, nor Bieksa, can say they lead by example and put it ALL on the line at any time like Burr!

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 05 October 2012 - 03:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.