86 replies to this topic

#61 Sbriggs

Sbriggs

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

Why people do this is beyond reason, Hank is our captain period and even when he retires I doubt very much we want a flopper like Kesler as our captain. Bieksa would make a good captain but were not there yet so quit waisting our time with this.

#62 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

Why people do this is beyond reason, Hank is our captain period and even when he retires I doubt very much we want a flopper like Kesler as our captain. Bieksa would make a good captain but were not there yet so quit waisting
our time with this.

Okay Debbie downer. With the lockout it was merely a discussion with little to know impact on u.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#63 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,957 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

Okay Debbie downer. With the lockout it was merely a discussion with little to know impact on u.

Well, you created a thread to suggest Bieksa was doing charitable things, raising a family and being funny on twitter and in interviews to try and supplant Henrik as captain. That's arguably a pretty suggestive thread that really isn't about a discussion - unless it's a discussion about how you're applying to become Tony Gallagher's replacement when he retires.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#64 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

No. I was making a discussion thread that had a topic of Bieksa having the merits to become captain if Henrik were to retire in a few years with Bieksa still actively contributing on the roster. Never did I mention usurping the throne.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#65 MisterShipwreck

MisterShipwreck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Lets not forget what he said about money on the radio. "How much money does someone really need? Come on..." about Ehrhoff lol

Bieksa is my favourite Canuck

Sho nuff. Big Bieksa fan, even though he doesn't seem to get enough respect from some on this forum... :)

Posted Image

Sig by RK17

#66 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

Well, you created a thread to suggest Bieksa was doing charitable things, raising a family and being funny on twitter and in interviews to try and supplant Henrik as captain. That's arguably a pretty suggestive thread that really isn't about a discussion - unless it's a discussion about how you're applying to become Tony Gallagher's replacement when he retires.

He didn't say anything about overthrowing hank. It's a discussion about his leadership qualities and if he would be a good replacement after henrik.

If you do not want to take part in that discussion there's plenty of other threads that may have topics you like. No need to call a guy out for things he's never said, if your not interested in what he actually had to say, then check out another thread.

#67 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

I could see Juice rocking the C...for a season..
Posted Image

#68 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,957 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

No. I was making a discussion thread that had a topic of Bieksa having the merits to become captain if Henrik were to retire in a few years with Bieksa still actively contributing on the roster. Never did I mention usurping the throne.

He didn't say anything about overthrowing hank. It's a discussion about his leadership qualities and if he would be a good replacement after henrik.

If you do not want to take part in that discussion there's plenty of other threads that may have topics you like. No need to call a guy out for things he's never said, if your not interested in what he actually had to say, then check out another thread.

Don't get your panties in a knot people, it's not unreasonable that people would think that's the reason for the thread. If you don't like me discussing that part of it, that is people's feeling on why the thread was created, then perhaps you should not bother replying yourself.

And by the way, supplant has more than the meaning you're negatively reacting too:

sup·plant (Verb) Supersede and replace

Fell free to look up supersede if you're still confused.

I'd already said on the first page how I don't believe he's doing anything with a mind for future aspirations. He's not planning his ascension to become the next mayor of Grimsby, just being a nice guy and giving back to the community considering the wealth he has, and being a good teammate and open to the media in the process.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#69 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,025 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Don't get your panties in a knot people, it's not unreasonable that people would think that's the reason for the thread. If you don't like me discussing that part of it, that is people's feeling on why the thread was created, then perhaps you should not bother replying yourself.

And by the way, supplant has more than the meaning you're negatively reacting too:

I'd already said on the first page how I don't believe he's doing anything with a mind for future aspirations. He's not planning his ascension to become the next mayor of Grimsby, just being a nice guy and giving back to the community considering the wealth he has, and being a good teammate and open to the media in the process.

Personally I think he's simply showing why he's one of the team leaders.
Posted Image

#70 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

@Biznow

I'm pretty sure manny deserves to be on there.

One of the leagues best leaders.

I say:

1. Henrik Sedin
2. Daniel Sedin
3. Manny Malhotra
4. Kevin Bieksa
5. Ryan Kesler

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#71 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

Hank is the leader of the team. It's apparent he's got the role.

Bieksa's a great guy. Good for the A though.
Posted Image

#72 JRSJ

JRSJ

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

I have a feeling that when Manny retires he will become part of the Canucks organization.

Gut feeling entirely.

As for KB3 for the C? I wouldn't mind. I'm satisfied with Hank however.

Edited by JRSJ, 05 October 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#73 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

Nucks future staff:

European Scouts: Sedins

Coach: Malhotra

Assistant Coaches: Bieksa, Burrows

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#74 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:40 AM

Ehrhoff > Bieksa... The market has spoken! haha

#75 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:58 AM

I know that Hank is our current captain and behind him most people believe Kesler is the next best choice but lets look at Kevin as the next leader of the team.

Kevin most likely has a fair few seasons left in him, even if he is pushed to a bottom 4 role he will most likely still be around when the twins retire.

- He is probably the best Canuck at handling press, and even during the lockout is constantly on radio stations doing interviews
- Had to deal with several seasons of terrible scrutiny, dealt with it maturely.
- Started mindcheck
- remains charitable even during the lockout
- is already a leader as an away alternate captain
-Is a fan favourite, a family man, and exudes the qualities of a true Canuck.

So, what do you think, should Kevin be the next captain of thhe Vancouver Canucks even if for onky 2-4 seasons?

I love Bieksa, I think he's part of our core and I wouldn't trade him for the world. Henrik is our captain now though, I'd rather have this discussion in a few years when the Sedins are exiting their primes. Who knows, much can happen in a few years and maybe some other great candidate will present himself.

#76 James van Riemsdyk

James van Riemsdyk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

I don't think making Kevin Bieksa would make a good captain, Bieksa is only one year younger than Henrik Sedin, so when Henrik does retire I think it would be about the same time Bieska retires too. As well, I think Henrik is good with the general public as well as he is a fan favorite so there would not be a need to make him captain over Henrik.
Posted Image
Edmonton Oilers CHL AGM
Edmontion Oilers SRHL Commissioner/GM

#77 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

PUHLEEZE! Bieksa....the guy is such a pout dog on the ice its almost as embarrasing as Kes's diving...and yet people wanted him to be Captain...laughable~!

If he had the balls to go after Keith or Runty in Boston ya maybe. If that happened in Smyl's day he would have waited for the next shift, or next game they met and gone right after them. That's what a captain does. By no means is Bieksa not a very good player and an important part of the team, but he just doesn't bring the grit he used to when he started in the league and I think the next captain on the nucks needs that. Henrik is so elite that it doesn't matter but we don't have an elite guy to fill that spot then you need a guy who leads the team with emotion. One could argue Hammer is elite on D and could play that role and I could see that.

My thought, groom Kassian. He will have 5 years with the Sedin's still around, by that point he will be 26. Develop his offensive game by letting him play top 2 lines. Allow him to unleash his temper, AV tried to keep it in check, its an asset, it intimidates, thats part of the game. And have Henrik, Daniel, Hammer coach him on how to lead in the room, off the ice, and on.

My hope is that Zack is the next captain of this team, and if he is, it will mean he has turned into a beauty.

#78 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

If he had the balls to go after Keith or Runty in Boston ya maybe. If that happened in Smyl's day he would have waited for the next shift, or next game they met and gone right after them. That's what a captain does. By no means is Bieksa not a very good player and an important part of the team, but he just doesn't bring the grit he used to when he started in the league and I think the next captain on the nucks needs that. Henrik is so elite that it doesn't matter but we don't have an elite guy to fill that spot then you need a guy who leads the team with emotion. One could argue Hammer is elite on D and could play that role and I could see that.

My thought, groom Kassian. He will have 5 years with the Sedin's still around, by that point he will be 26. Develop his offensive game by letting him play top 2 lines. Allow him to unleash his temper, AV tried to keep it in check, its an asset, it intimidates, thats part of the game. And have Henrik, Daniel, Hammer coach him on how to lead in the room, off the ice, and on.

My hope is that Zack is the next captain of this team, and if he is, it will mean he has turned into a beauty.

So by your reasoning Gretzky and Lidstrom were bad captains because they wouldn't go after guys and fight? Uh huh... and your suggestion that Hamhuis would be the candidate to replace Henrik as an "emotional" captain is also bizarre. I love Hamhuis but one thing he's not is emotional.

#79 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

Yes. I'd choose him over Hamhuis and Kesler. But, Hamhuis makes a strong case, he definitely always needs an A.
Posted Image

#80 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

I'd like to see KB3 with the "C". But only if Kesler wasn't here, and after the Twins have retired.

/=S=/

#81 ilovekevinbieksa

ilovekevinbieksa

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

I SUPPORT HIM 100% :bigblush: :bigblush:
Posted Image (One duplicate gif removed by mod to meet size limitations)

#82 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

i think hammer would be ahead of him in that race.

but i say in three years E.Lack for captain that guy is pure awesome.. never mind if he is a goalie or heck even the back up he should be our captain

or that Hank guy who ever he is....
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

#83 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,140 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

Is it just me, or is your point mundane?

I think you are off base Elvis. You can patronize people all you want about the meaning of supplant - what you said was "try to supplant" which implies a meaning that wasn't what the OP appeared to be suggesting. I'm not a fan of threads attempting to replace Henrik, but that's not how I read the OP.

It looks to me like someone has a habit of expressing their inner control-freak here - so there is no confusion, what I mean by that is you clearly have a tendency to try to appropriate (verb) discussions.

The rest about panties and others objecting to what you are discussing is simply ironing.

I would like to see Henrik retire the captain, at age 40ish...but I agree that Bieksa has great leadership qualities, as does Hammer.

The other guy I (from my remote armchair) could imagine would make a great captain would be Higgins - I simply love the way the guy plays the game.

Edited by oldnews, 06 October 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#84 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,025 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

The simple answer: coaching. AV told him during his first 40+ point season he didn't have to fight everybody that looked at him wrong. That he was more valuable on the ice than in the box for five minutes. He's just far more disciplined than when he first came into the league.
Posted Image

#85 .Naslund

.Naslund

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

Hamhuis?
Posted Image

#86 Linden Legend

Linden Legend

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

Good point. I could see Kassian, Guance, or Jensen make a case for the "C"

Is this a joke? I cant stand it when people make comments like this! Whats the combined NHL games between these three? Crap responses like this needs to stop!
"He'll play! You know he'll play! He'll play on crutches!"
"Adams shoots...SCORES!!! Greg Adams!!! Greg Adams!!!"
"They've slayed the dragon!!"

#87 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

well if you follow your history Lack and Schneids are the front runners :rolleyes:

all kidding aside Kevin Bieksa would make a awesome captain

but why try to fix something that is not broken?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.