The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thinking about a tattoo

Salter

First of all, I'll let you know that I am 15 and turn 16 in a few months (would obviously wait for 16).

My dad passed away when I was 8 and I've always wanted to get something like this in memory of him.

I was looking though my old baby stuff and saw this birthday card. It is from my first birthday.

img575.jpg

I wanted to get a small/medium sized truck somewhere and underneath have "Love Dad" written, but what he wrote on the card pretty much just enlarged and tattoo'd on me.

It's kind of a personal thing but I just want to have people opinions. It's not just a dumb impulse tattoo like a lot of people get, but its something with a personal connection. I was thinking somewhere on my chest, or a pec or something. I'll listen in on what you all have to say but obviously in a few months it will come down to what I think will be best. Thanks!

P.S.

I know it will hurt, but any clue how bad? haha (it would be worth the pain in my opinion)

**EDIT

I would only have the "Love Dad" written. But it would have the "Love Dad" he wrote on the card enlarged and on me

I always caution 'young' people to avoid getting tattoos - as they will likely regret them.

But - in this case, you won't.

Personally - ask the artist to add his own touch when it comes to cursive or a 'surrounding' part of the piece.

I have my entire calf covered - it didn't hurt per say, but it was uncomfortable for the entire time.

Thats a great idea, man! I lost my mom a few years ago to MS, so not long after I got an MS ribbon tattoo on my forearm with her initials and dates. I found that getting ink done can be a little theraputic.

And yah, it hurts but it's not intolerable. I find that it kinda goes numb after a little bit.

I got one in memory of my dad as well earlier this year. It's just part of his name on the back of my shoulder. You're probably not getting it in the same place but I'm going to be honest and say that I didn't think it hurt much at all. You know how sometimes you want to write a note to yourself on your hand and the ink won't come out but you press a little harder anyway? That's essentially what I thought it felt like. It stung a bit but nothing too bad. Then again I guess everyone's experiences are different. I guess the best is to prepare for the worst and you'll be pleasantly surprised =)

Before inking my tattoos I waited a year between the idea of what and where I wanted it. If you feel the same way about it today as a year from now than you probably won't regret it.

Also keep in mind that visible tattoos can be a make or break for some jobs. Sure its cool in junior high or whatever grade school you are in but you may never get that dream job because you visually appear out of character for the company or business.

I'm not saying don't get it but just keep that in mind. Also check this site out.

http://failblog.chee.../ugliesttattoos

Before inking my tattoos I waited a year between the idea of what and where I wanted it. If you feel the same way about it today as a year from now than you probably won't regret it.

Also keep in mind that visible tattoos can be a make or break for some jobs. Sure its cool in junior high or whatever grade school you are in but you may never get that dream job because you visually appear out of character for the company or business.

I'm not saying don't get it but just keep that in mind. Also check this site out.

http://failblog.chee.../ugliesttattoos

To answer OP's question on the pain that comes with getting a tattoo there's a few factors to consider:

1. Most important is the tattoo artist's skill. This includes how hard they press the needle onto your skin and if the rip/drag as they draw or if it is a smoother process. A skilled artist is more important than anything

2. The area of your body. The more flesh/fat on the area of the body that is being tattooed, the less painful it will be. If it's something like a foot or hand where its basically just skin and bone, it's going to hurt more.

3. Your state of mind. If you walk in and you are uncomfortable, freaking out or overly stressed about it, you are going to focus on the pain and it will hurt more. Stay calm. Your body's endorphins will kick in and you will actually start to go numb in the area you are being tattooed rather quickly.

Side note - Awesome tattoo idea. Sounds like you've given it a lot of thought. Waiting 'til you are 18 isn't really going to change much except for not needing your guardians permission legally. Good luck bud. I know some great artists and shops if you want some recommendations. Just let me know!

The worst thing is when someone wants to get a tattoo just for the sake of getting one. Then they go to the place and spend forever looking at every type with no idea what to get. That person has no business being there. But the OPs idea is solid.

I came in here and read the first sentence and got ready to give you a piece of my mind about how bad of an idea this was...

Then I read the rest.

Solid idea. I like it a lot. You won't regret it that's for sure.

My only advice would be to look around and find a quality, skilled, reputable tattoo artist who will do a good job. The last thing you want is to have an excellent tattoo idea and have it ruined by in imbecile with a tattoo gun. Don't cheap out.

Archived