The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Would You Choose To Replace Gary Bettman?

Derp...

What a joke! Ken Dryden??? A washed up Libel hack who has done nothing since playing goal for the Habs. What creditials does he have for running a multi-billion $ enterprise. Like most Libels he would have trouble understanding a balance sheet.

As Baggins states Bettman has done a decent job for the NHL. Increased revenue from $400 mil to $3.3 billion. It is not his job to make either the fans or players 'love' him. If you need a father figure to idolize then tune in that all time favorite HNIC rube Ron Maclean.

One thing I don't understand is how people give credit to Bettman for "increasing" revenue from $400 million to now $3.3 billion.

Just prior to Bettman arriving, the NHL had 22 teams. To make things simple, I'm gonna make the example that each team earned the same revenue and the expansion teams came all at the same time. $400 divide by 22 team is about $18 million each. Add in the extra 8 expansion teams from 1992-present, it'll be an extra $144 million, totaling to $544.

With inflation of 3% (could be argue to be more) per year for 20 years, revenue in 1990's dollar to present dollar would be $982 million.

Without including factors like a very weak Canadian dollar during the 90's and now a very strong CAD, all in all, he tripled the revenue of the NHL. Not bad, but David Stern increase NBA revenue by 500% in roughly the same time period and with less expansion teams too.

One have to consider that the revenue increase has to do with each team's management rather than a direct by Gary Bettman. Canadian teams being money-makers depends on the dollar. The Rangers, Red Wings, Bruins, Flyers, etc.... they all earn more money due to their own regional TV contracts, merchandising, etc.

In short.... Bettman's "business acumen" is over-rated.

Burke could do decent possibly. Although we all hate Bettman, you can't say he didn't do a good job in expanding the league. I mean in the 90's at least the NHL expanded into the 30 team league it is now. Sure some of them expansion teams haven't really succeed but I'm pretty sure the NHL is a lot bigger now with al 30 teams.

---> I don't like Bettman but you must appreciate what he did in the 90's to bring 30 teams in this league. That opened up a lot of jobs for young player, in which some maybe would have not been given a chance in a smaller league.

Burke could do decent possibly. Although we all hate Bettman, you can't say he didn't do a good job in expanding the league. I mean in the 90's at least the NHL expanded into the 30 team league it is now. Sure some of them expansion teams haven't really succeed but I'm pretty sure the NHL is a lot bigger now with al 30 teams.

---> I don't like Bettman but you must appreciate what he did in the 90's to bring 30 teams in this league. That opened up a lot of jobs for young player, in which some maybe would have not been given a chance in a smaller league.

this is one reason I hate him, the league is overexpanded, lowering the overall quality of the product, instead of having great teams, good teams, mediocre teams and bad teams we now have 30 average teams. He turned it into the corporate America Hockey league which just made the revenue gap between the haves and have nots wider, so forcing in a salary cap is just a way of trying to fix a problem he created in the first place. I grew up with great teams like the 70's Canadians, 80's Islanders and Oilers, we will never see teams like that again. Not having an "Evil Empire" can be bad for the game, every sport needs a villain, a team the fans of non playoff teams can unite to cheer against, like the Yankees, I bet tons of fans of teams who didn't make the MLB playoffs watched the Tigers sweep with great joy. I used to watch NASCAR, but since Dale Earnhardt died it just isn't the same although Tony Stewart is doing his best to be the force of evil.

It is only in the sense of making the owners happy. The fact that Bettman got a lenghhy extension with a rather nice raise would indicate he's doing exactly what the owners want. Something that goes way over the heads of far too many. Being the commissioner is all about making the owners happy. That's how you keep your job.

True. But you would think there was a way to get the job done without everyone hating you. He comes across like a smug bastard and when you act like that people you are dealing with will pull back. Hes not that great really. the owners could do better.

Archived