Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

AHL Players are required to wear visors

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

rule 9.5 Protective Equipment
All players of both teams shall wear a helmet and clear protective visor of design, material and construction acceptable to the
Competition Committee at all times while participating in a game, either on the playing surface or the players’ or penalty benches. The helmet and visor must not be worn tilted back such that the protective capacity (integrity) of the visor is diminished. Improper positioning of the visor will result in a warning to the player with the second or subsequent violation resulting in the player being assessed a misconduct penalty. While the choice of visor model and manufacturer is left to the player, it is recommended that for optimal protection the bottom of the visor come to the tip of the nose.

http://cdn.rapidmana...AHLRuleBook.pdf

In case you didn't know.

#2 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Good rule.... does anyone know if visors are manditory or not in the CHL? if not, they should be.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Good rule.... does anyone know if visors are manditory or not in the CHL? if not, they should be.

they are, same with the ECHL

#4 meh_wassup

meh_wassup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

Cool

Charlotte-McKinney-21-155x160.jpg

#5 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,538 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

Where are they NOT mandatory? I'm talking European leagues here.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#6 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

they are, same with the ECHL

That is what i thought. I think the NHL should adopt the rule for players entering the NHL, so for players already in the league who do not wear one it isn't mandatory, but players who are coming from the minors or junior it is.
Posted Image

#7 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

That is what i thought. I think the NHL should adopt the rule for players entering the NHL, so for players already in the league who do not wear one it isn't mandatory, but players who are coming from the minors or junior it is.

agreed, make it like the helmet rule, all new players entering the league need to wear it, anyone who was in the league before has the option not to, after signing a waiver.

#8 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

This is good. I keep thinking of what happened to Malhotra's eye when it comes to our players not wearing visors.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#9 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

ya there are manditory.. in chl

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

i don't know if i would make them mandatory .. some guys don't like wearing them... i don't.. i tried about 5 years ago and i didn't like it... so i don't wear one... if guys ( and most do coming out of chl) want to wear one they will...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

i don't know if i would make them mandatory .. some guys don't like wearing them... i don't.. i tried about 5 years ago and i didn't like it... so i don't wear one... if guys ( and most do coming out of chl) want to wear one they will...

It seems like any league outside of the NHL wears them now. The "I don't like wearing it" excuse doesn't apply anymore. Grandfather it in.

Posted Image

#12 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

I see what you did there avalanch.

Edited by elvis15, 05 October 2012 - 10:28 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#13 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:39 AM

Seems like a fair amount of people didn't know. Thanks for posting.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#14 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

Why are they making people wear visors? Why is it even a debate? When it comes to choice vs. having to do something, I think the former should prevail. I'm all for keeping the games safe but nobody should be forced to do anything. If a player wants to risk an eye injury or whatever, that should be his decision and his decision alone.

Not a HUGE deal but I just felt like ranting. :)

2dgqi51.jpgfcvifc.jpg
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 and Discord for the signatures.

#15 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

I know some people find them uncomfortable. I tried one but just couldn't use it, it actually made me more scared than my helmet that didn't have one when playing beer league so I went back to my one without the visor.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#16 jeremy_cheung14

jeremy_cheung14

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

https://twitter.com/i/#!/Canuck_Pride/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FQikM1rHO
Kassian with visor! what u think?

#17 Mcfly

Mcfly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Was Manny's eye protected with a visor? I know the puck struck him at a weird angle from the stick... still though...
May have been a different season.

Dank2013_zps1833a257.jpg

#18 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

https://twitter.com/...er.com/QikM1rHO
Kassian with visor! what u think?

I think he should never cut his hair or shave his beard
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#19 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Exactly, grandfather in the rule.

Posted Image

#20 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

also, the rule went into effect in 2006, it is not new.

#21 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

NHL should do this I think.
Posted Image

#22 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

I know some people find them uncomfortable. I tried one but just couldn't use it, it actually made me more scared than my helmet that didn't have one when playing beer league so I went back to my one without the visor.

i know i couldn't get used to it... i found i ended up wearing my helmet tip so far up the the visor didn't cover my eyes... i thought whats the point.. so i took it off..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Why are they making people wear visors? Why is it even a debate? When it comes to choice vs. having to do something, I think the former should prevail. I'm all for keeping the games safe but nobody should be forced to do anything. If a player wants to risk an eye injury or whatever, that should be his decision and his decision alone.

Not a HUGE deal but I just felt like ranting. :)

If that's the case, the player should have to shell out for insurance, not the team or the government when they get hurt on the job because of their own foolishness ...

#24 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

also, the rule went into effect in 2006, it is not new.

lol Is your sig supposed to be like the thing with the cat, but with a woman instead? She looks like a mime, still funny all the same. :lol:

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#25 ilovekevinbieksa

ilovekevinbieksa

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

hopefully there wont be anything like the henrik/kopitar incident...
Posted Image (One duplicate gif removed by mod to meet size limitations)

#26 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

If that's the case, the player should have to shell out for insurance, not the team or the government when they get hurt on the job because of their own foolishness ...

Agreed, I've heard there are dangerous things they don't let you do as a player, just for the sake of asset protection. I think that really hit home after Bourdon's motorcycle accident as well. So why not visors too then?
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#27 Allt svartnar

Allt svartnar

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

I think he should never cut his hair or shave his beard

No one should :)

Edited by Allt svartnar, 06 October 2012 - 11:41 PM.

last.fm | "så kunde därav intet annat följa än allmogens och gemene mans ruin och undergång"

#28 Captain Can

Captain Can

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

Players are forced to wear visors (or cages) all the way up to the NHL, at least in north america, right? So I don't get the issue with grandfathering it in. It's not like its some brand new thing they have to get comfortable with.

I know it seems like it should be a matter of choice, but when your getting payed millions of dollars to play, the guys paying have every right to protect you. Wouldn't you want to protect your investments?

#29 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

Players are forced to wear visors (or cages) all the way up to the NHL, at least in north america, right? So I don't get the issue with grandfathering it in. It's not like its some brand new thing they have to get comfortable with.

I know it seems like it should be a matter of choice, but when your getting payed millions of dollars to play, the guys paying have every right to protect you. Wouldn't you want to protect your investments?

I think we could see that happen with the new CBA. According to avelanch, it wasn't mandatory in the AHL until 2006, after the last CBA.

Posted Image

#30 canucks_qc

canucks_qc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

I know it seems like it should be a matter of choice,but when your getting payed millions of dollars to play, the guys paying have every right to protect you. Wouldn't you want to protect your investments?

Well by now they don't seem to protect their investments by letting them play in Europe because they lock them out. You know playing here in North America if something happen to a player it will take a few seconds the medic staff will be on the ice and take care of him, they will take him out on a stretcher instead of taking him out like a dead deer. What the players was saying when the plane crash in Russia, "we all know it was a matter of time before it happen". Are they really protecting their investments that way to save hockey teams in cities that should never been an hockey team?

Rich teams should they back the control of their league, by now Bettman have too much power because he only need 8 teams on his side, including the Phoenix Coyotes, to do almost whatever he want.

We have more than we think in common with ''Le Canadien de Montréal''

Both have logo shapped in ''C''

Canadien and Canucks mean the samething

We both hate the Boston Bruins now

Alain Vigneault coached both teams

Rogers Arena, Centre Bell, it's phones company

We are blue white and green they are blue white and red

Our #1 goalie is from Qc, their #1 goalie is from BC

But we have one important thing different and I hope it will change after the next season, we don't have Stanley Cup banner

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.