The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Earth’s Magnetic Field Long Overdue for a Reversal

nucklehead

Do you think planet Niribu is on the way yet? Youd think the telescopes would have picked it up by now.

Oh right, its got a cloaking device. We had better get ready to bow down to our reptilian alien overlords, if we grovel enough they might keep us as pets rather then eat us.

We're here because of natural processes.

And no, just because planets line up with the sun, or the center of the galaxy, or with each other, it doesn't mean anything other than the meaning you or anyone wants to give it. We are a species that has always tried to give things meaning in order to help our understanding. This is how sun/moon worship started in our species infancy. These calenders and religious books and sacred texts, are all part of this desire to make sense out of senseless patterns in nature. Why does the sun come out during the day and the moon at night? Must be something acting on them. There must be some meaning to this, since other things around us that have a pattern have some meaning too. There must be something that is making this meaning for us to understand.

Do you see how this line of thinking make it easy to attach meaning?

That's all this is. The Mayans were able to keep accurate star charts, as other societies that had no connection to the Mayans were able to as well. The Mayans keep a chart or a calender based on their accurate recordings and thus their predictions, since their was a cyclical pattern to when certain stars or star formations appeared at certain places in the sky, at certain times of the year. They assumed there was some meaning, and after agreement they attached a meaning to it, and voila, you now have this 'Awakening' from their own myths taking center stage today, because their calender ran out, because they didn't continue making more calenders, because their civilization ended.

There's no 'end of the world' coming this year. There is no mass 'Age of Awakening' happening this year. This is nothing that will affect your life substantially as a result of this calender. Believing that it has the ability to tell you your future moves the burden of you(us) affecting your(our) own future by working/studying/investing in our shared prosperity today, that will help you(all humans) in the future, onto some tablet, or book, or parchment or scripture or calender such as this, made by people who were in almost every 'stupider' than us today in understanding the nature of things, just as we will be compared to those who may be alive 1000 years from now.

You know what would ironically move us to an 'age of awakening'? If we collectively stopped buying into mythologies of ancient civilizations, or the notion that the ancient civilizations knew more or were advanced or superior, or more knowledgeable, or smarter, or whatever, than we are today, because they aren't. Their ignorance and those today that attach meaning from their ignorance are polluting our civilization today in many ways. We need to keep these throwbacks of pattern seeking and meaning attachments out of our current lives and civilization. They're holding us back from evolving as individuals, as an inter-connected society, and as a now inter-connected species.

This is the same fear and rumour mongering that happened with the turn of the millennium. There were predictions made, both good and disastrous, that were supposed to occur, and nothing occurred. It's because it's just another day, in our own arbitrary calender. Even our own calender, aside from keeping somewhat accurate track of the Earth's annual trip around the sun, the equinoxes, doesn't really have much meaning....at least not the spiritual kind that the Mayans were attempting to attach to their own present day calender.

Some of us embrace change and some of us fear it. The future is always and will always be about change. We can assign meaning to that change, or accept it as a natural part of everything, because everything does, has, and will eventually change/transform..... everything. It's more productive, imo, to affect some positive changes proactively in our collective lives while we still have the ability to, instead of wasting that time, pondering the 'meanings' of mythology, which again, imo, has the ability especially with our pattern seeking brains, to slow us down, get in our way, and stymie that change and progress.

That's a nickel's worth, since I seemingly tossed in a bit more than my two cents.

Thank you for your response and I really like your elaboration.

We're here because of natural processes? That's such a vague explanation.

We can sit here and go back and forth all day on what we think was ultimately the beginning of life, but realistically, no one knows, and in a way I think that's how religion began.

The reason the aligning of the Sun, Earth, and Center of the Galaxy is considered to have some sort of importance is because that's what the Mayans (for example) used as their template for an astronomical calender. I believe it takes around 26,000 years to go full circle and complete the cycle. So they started the calender with this alignment and continued it until completion.

I believe that we have existed on this planet for a very very long time, and in this time, I certainly don't believe we are presently the smartest we have ever been. Think about it, if the calender is 26,000 years old (from as far as we know), how could they not be intelligent if they made such an accurate calender with beautiful carvings that long ago? Or how could the great pyramid be built 11,000 years ago without the tools that would clearly be needed?

My point is we really don't know anything about this planet, culture or even ourselves. Like you said, we try to put understandings upon things, but they really aren't understandings. I wasn't implying that something of an awakening is for sure going to happen, that's just one prophecy. No one knows what exactly will happen, and like I said before, the most shocking thing will be that nothing happens.

I think it's ignorant to say the "end of the world" or "a mass awakening" won't happen. Who are you to say that, just like who am I to say it will. I feel humanity is headed in a direction of awareness, lots of people are already starting to see the governing system is broken and are preaching for change. I don't think on this day everyone will just "suddenly wake up" so to speak, but maybe instead it's a process, but then again who knows.

All I'm trying to say is why not be open-minded about things like this? I think it would speed up our evolutionary process much more then shutting things like this down. Ancient cultures like the Mayans weren't exactly stupid, maybe we as a culture today should stop boasting our egos and accept that we aren't the ones in control of this life. We may think we have a grasp on reality, but we really don't.

Sorry if I missed any of your points but I gotta get going for an appointment.

I look forward to your response :)

I'm a little disappointed that I seemingly didn't get through to you. Not really sure which one of us to be more disappointed in though.

Perhaps I could elucidate by using someone's else's verbosity in a second attempt to save you from the dangerous jaws of an irrational mind.

I`m not being irrational, I`m simply pointing out that there may be more to life than just of what we presently know.

You, myself, and the rest of the world don't know everything. We as humans discover knew things everyday, and I'm sure we will continue quenching our thirst for knowledge forever.

If you don`t feel you've reached me, then please explain your point again. :)

Pointing out that there are things that we don't know that we don't know in order to leave the door open for the legitimizing of prophecies such as the Mayan Doomsday, or a Mayan 'Age of Aquarius', isn't what I would call the pinnacle of being rational.

Tystick, your general theme seems to be "we know nothing, but we do know that the earth's axis spins at a slow rate, and that this means a big change starting in December".

Predicting the future is imossibly hard, and I can not think of anyone who had long term success predicting any sort of future. So if you start off by insisting that we know nothing, on what basis do you presume that you can claim to anything about the future? Yes the mayans were smart, and really good at astronomy. Not as good as we are, but for their time they were great.

You ask "who is to say it won't happen". But that is a generic argument that can be used on any belief. Who is to say that we all don't have invisible raccoon spirits by our sides at all times? Who is to say that Jack the Ripper won't descend from heaven to rid the world of hockey fans?

For this reason, big claims require big support. By default we have no reason to believe that a wobble in the earth's axis will have any impact on anything. So in order to separate this idea from an infinite amount of BS that anyone could make up, there needs to be a positive reason besides "a mayan told an author who told me".

I believe that we have existed on this planet for a very very long time, and in this time, I certainly don't believe we are presently the smartest we have ever been. Think about it, if the calender is 26,000 years old (from as far as we know), how could they not be intelligent if they made such an accurate calender with beautiful carvings that long ago? Or how could the great pyramid be built 11,000 years ago without the tools that would clearly be needed?

Tystick, your general theme seems to be "we know nothing, but we do know that the earth's axis spins at a slow rate, and that this means a big change starting in December".

Predicting the future is imossibly hard, and I can not think of anyone who had long term success predicting any sort of future. So if you start off by insisting that we know nothing, on what basis do you presume that you can claim to anything about the future? Yes the mayans were smart, and really good at astronomy. Not as good as we are, but for their time they were great.

You ask "who is to say it won't happen". But that is a generic argument that can be used on any belief. Who is to say that we all don't have invisible raccoon spirits by our sides at all times? Who is to say that Jack the Ripper won't descend from heaven to rid the world of hockey fans?

For this reason, big claims require big support. By default we have no reason to believe that a wobble in the earth's axis will have any impact on anything. So in order to separate this idea from an infinite amount of BS that anyone could make up, there needs to be a positive reason besides "a mayan told an author who told me".

There is no galactic alignment occurring on that day or any other. It is an invented phenomonon.

The great year is not starting over, its only about 65% done.

The mayan calendar is about 2500 years old, not 26000. The great pyramids are anout 4500 years old.

People have been around for hundreds of thousands of years, but there is no reason to believe that they were anything other than hunter gatherer groups until 10000 years ago. There are no signs of any civilisations greater than ours. We can find trash from an ancient culture the size of a small band. And yet these advanced cultures leave no traces? If thats the case, why are they any less ridiculous than an ancient race of pogo riding leapord men?

Apocalypse never: Newly discovered Mayan calendar further disproves doomsday myth

2291801787.jpg

Scientists have uncovered the oldest-known Mayan calendar ever discovered — and it further shows that all this December 21, 2012, apocalypse talk is a bunch of hooey.

The world is not going to end on December 21. No, not even according to the Mayan calendar. And especially not according to the awesome newly uncovered Mayan calendar — the oldest known Mayan calendar in existence — which was recently discovered by Boston University archeologist William Saturno.

First glimpsed by an undergraduate student of Saturno’s in 2010, this new Mayan calendar was found buried at a well known Mayan archeology site in Guatemala. After first dismissing the value of the bit of paint spotted by his student, Saturno later went back to record the discovery, regardless of whether it had value.

What Saturno found turned out to be a well-presevered mural that includes the oldest known Mayan calendar to date. And just like the Maya Long Count calendar, which serves as the basis for the apocalypse myth, this calendar extends indefinitely into the future.

“The Mayan calendar is going to keep going for billions, trillions, octillions of years into the future,” University of Texas archeologist, author, and Maya expert David Stuart told LiveScience. “Numbers we can’t even wrap our heads around.”

In case you’re stumbling upon the Mayan doomsday nonsense for the first time, here’s the gist of it: The Mayan calendar is broken down into “baktuns” (or “b’ak’tun”), each of which equals 400 years, or about 146,000 days. According to Mayan legend, the current world — the one in which we are all currently living — was created over 12 baktuns ago. At the end of the 13th baktun, the world as we know it will cease to exist. December 21, 2012 — the winter solstice — is that day.

Of course, many scientists with real understanding of ancient Mayan culture and language have for decades tried to explain that, no, the end of the 13th baktun does not literally mean the end of the world. In fact, they say, not even the Mayans themselves believed such silliness. The end-of-world myth was actually concocted by Christian missionaries. And some experts say that the end of the 13th baktun is actually December 23, not December 21.

The newly discovered Mayan calendar has cycles of time recording 17 baktuns, rather than the standard 13. This and other details, which Saturno describe in this week’s issue of the journal Science, should be all anyone needs to stop their urge to stock up on canned food and ammo.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/international/apocalypse-never-newly-discovered-mayan-calendar-further-disproves-doomsday-myth/

Archived