The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Earth’s Magnetic Field Long Overdue for a Reversal

nucklehead

By the way, within minutes, I found a much more compelling argument in favour of disorientate than anyone else has provided!

But for the fun of it, here are some words that sound fake but are not. And be honest, if you ever heard someone use a word from the list below, you would probably look at them a little funny, no?

1. Erinaceous

Like a hedgehog

2. Lamprophony

Loudness and clarity of voice

3. Depone

To testify under oath

4. Finnimbrun

A trinket or knick-knack

5. floccinaucinihilipilification

Estimation that something is valueless. Proper pronunciation based on Latin roots: flockə-nowsə-nəkələ-pələ-fək-ation.

6. Inaniloquent

Pertaining to idle talk

7. Limerance

An attempt at a scientific study into the nature of romantic love.

8. Mesonoxian

Pertaining to midnight

9. Mungo

A dumpster diver – one who extracts valuable things from trash

10. Nihilarian

A person who deals with things lacking importance (pronounce the ‘h’ like a ‘k’).

It really tickles me that the person so vehemently defending slang has such atrocious grammar and, apparently, reading comprehension. I conceded the validity of bling, even if I personally dislike it. Disorientated, on the other hand, has not yet been linked to your beloved (I can barely type that with a straight face) Merriam's, as it is a misuse of another word and not a valid, grammatically correct word in its own right.

I don't make the linguistic rules, I simply have an understanding and appreciation for them. And I'm certainly not always correct. Having a BA in English does not make me an expert, but I certainly have a very strong grasp of its structure and uses. So, unless you feel it necessary to argue that language abides no rules or structure, I think you'll have to admit that I have a valid point.

That okay with you, tips?

Actually I saw that one as well from the thread that was discussing disorient vs disorientate, and I was going to go all etymological on you, but I figured Cambridge University was the better card to pull versus a post in the discussion thread.

Ah, I see. I think I just prefer the etymology explanation because it shows how we ended up with the variation in that word. Pretty interesting stuff. Besides, it's always more fun to know the how or why, rather than just whether or not it's a rule.

And hey, at least you took me tongue in cheek (oh man, that sounds so wrong). But you get my poi ... nevermind.

Employee, your Christopher Walken sig has never looked quite so fitting. It's exactly the face I imagine you making as you type that. But hey, I appreciate that you think I'm a champ. You know, I never won much of anything, but I guess it's like a figurative kind of champ, right? Like, to you, you think I'm a real winner? I don't know, but that's a nice sentiment, you're alright.

You seem like this whole thing has really had an affect of you. You mentioned earlier about give and take with Sharp or something along those lines; you're doing a poor job. Sharp makes it fun; you've made it sad.

Ho ho, a joke about questionable sexuality. Almost slipped under the radar, you clever fellow, you.

It's funny, seems like you're the one that had their cage rattled. I can handle a little ball busting, that's no big deal. But you? Jumped out of nowhere to pick a fight with me, over a discussion about grammar! Now, you want to talk about sad. Sheesh. I don't even know you, pal, no reason to have a tiff over nothing. If you can't see the humour in it then we're definitely having different conversations here.

Makes sense for you now? Advise I should have taken, got it. How charitable of you. I do apologize for being so misguided that I didn't recognize your profoundly generous offer. Employee, it's my bed time as well, so fair enough, but you seem to have a real you-know-what up your you-know-where and if you can't comprehend my attempt at humour (hey, no one ever accused me of being Louis CK over here, to be fair), then that's your issue. And if you're attempting to be funny and I've missed, which I may well have, then my bad. Jerk.

Makes sense for you now? Advise I should have taken, got it. How charitable of you. I do apologize for being so misguided that I didn't recognize your profoundly generous offer. Employee, it's my bed time as well, so fair enough, but you seem to have a real you-know-what up your you-know-where and if you can't comprehend my attempt at humour (hey, no one ever accused me of being Louis CK over here, to be fair), then that's your issue. And if you're attempting to be funny and I've missed, which I may well have, then my bad. Jerk.

OK, I can't even begin to clean up the slop here by deleting but, from here on in, please refrain from any further in thread arguing and insults. All future posts are to be directed ONLY toward the topic at hand, which is not grammar, etc.

Warnings to be issued to anyone not abiding by this....

Archived