The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

I would not be surprised as it is the more logical choice. Buy low (draft), sell high (sound development). There are, however, an extended amount of emotion involved regarding the Luongo fiasco which makes a Luongo trade more probable than a Schneider trade, though a Schneider trade is not impossible.

What irks me is the refusal to discuss this possibility which is in effect, related to the Luongo affair.

I would not be surprised as it is the more logical choice. Buy low (draft), sell high (sound development). There are, however, an extended amount of emotion involved regarding the Luongo fiasco which makes a Luongo trade more probable than a Schneider trade, though a Schneider trade is not impossible.

What irks me is the refusal to discuss this possibility which is in effect, related to the Luongo affair.

Not trolling you but why keep luo? He's put some trophies in the cabinet for us sure, but I (like many on here) believe schneider is more valuable to us on this team rather than a nice trading chip. Luongo's value is enough that we can get the few pieces we need to take a couple shots at the cup in the next few years. I'd say the Luo situation has been mishandled pretty severly. Our ownership tries to play things close to the chest all the time, then when they really should have, they kinda blew it. I think that has a lot to do with everyone saying ship him out. Do you think he would really want to stay after all the drama that has played out?

You're clearly not seeing the risk in even that taking place. Consider the outcomes:

-Luongo clearly outplays Schneider. That makes it pretty difficult for us to trade Luongo, then, does it not?

-Schneider clearly outplays Luongo. This obviously has a further negative effect on demand for Luongo.

The only outcome that would be ideal would be a 50/50 split (roughly) in playing time, and practically equal stats. That's possible, but not likely. In addition, I would suspect that in doing this, you've pissed off both goaltenders, because both will be under unbelievably heavy pressure to perform (Schneider to assert himself as #1, Luongo to assert that he's also still a #1). Bad situation all-around.

Playing 60 games in a short period of time will be hard on players, particularly goalies. There will be increased risk of injury. I think unless MG gets a offer he can't refuse Luongo will stay a Canuck for this season.

He might even take the starting job back and win a cup.

Playing 60 games in a short period of time will be hard on players, particularly goalies. There will be increased risk of injury. I think unless MG gets a offer he can't refuse Luongo will stay a Canuck for this season.

Thoughts? How about being vindictive and still, after some rare posters dare share their thoughts on the matter, still rehashing the same vindictive thoughts...

Thoughts?

Even you, goaltending guru of all time can see how having two bonafide elite goaltenders for a 60 game shortened season would benefit any team.

I don't see too many goalies going over to Europe. Lundqvist is the only high profile one and he's playing for his former club Frolunda in Sweden. There have been many reports about European clubs being unwilling to take in NHL goalies to replace their own. The reasons are they don't want to lose their own goalies for bringing in a goalie who could be gone after a hand full of games. Euro clubs don't want to waste a import roster spot on a goalie. Even Schneider had trouble finding work, he was able to get around the import player tag because of his Swiss heritage and he's only played 2 games so far.

Another prohibitive measure would be cost of insurance. Luongo has a pretty big contract and it would cost a hefty sum to insure. Crosby was unable to find work because Euro clubs have been unwilling to pay his $400 k insurance cost. Luongo doesn't have the injury history of Crosby but his insurance cost would be significant. European clubs just don't have the budgets for these types of costs.

It's so ruff on goalies that they are hauling around their equipment all over North America just to get good practice in. I recently read a article on Devan Dubnyk going to Dallas and PHX and back to Edmonton just to get good practice. Dubnyk also gave above mentioned reasons for not being able to find work.

Where do you think Luongo should be playing?

I'm not going to take the ES route and discredit Luongo's value. What I will say is that he is 33, he will be 34 after a shortened season. Goalies sometimes play into their 40s, and I'm sure Luongo would be good for the next 5 or so years. His accomplishments that you listed certainly benefit us in a trade.

The most important thing we get back in this trade is YOUTH, we get a 26 y/o Bozak who put up 47 points last year and some highlight reel goals. We get a young top prospect in Kadri, who could very well benefit without the constant Toronto spotlight playing for either the Marlies/Leafs. The numbers don't lie with Kadri, who has been a ppg forward in the AHL in his first two years. I'm not over the moon with Kadri either, and even in my post I said he probably wouldn't crack our lineup. What he does do is give us insurance down the road, for when the Sedins retire and Kesler/Booth move past their prime. We would ideally require someone with raw offensive instincts like Kadri to take the reigns. With our team being deep and our core being set the Kadri development curve could be a little longer than the Leafs frequent pressure on a KID to be their saviour. I'm surprised he hasn't been institutionalized. The pick is of course a bonus.

Luongo is on his way out, and I'm not sure why some people still think a Schneider trade is a possibility. The fact that other teams know Luongo HAS to be moved significantly impacts what teams are willing to pay for Luongo. I'm of the opinion that a Petrovic/Bjugstad return for Luongo would be magnificent. Neither of these two players would even be an option to play for the Canucks this year. With that said I think the rumoured Kadri/Bozak trade would be a decent return.

I live in Toronto and have watched Kadri many times. He is junk. He will be a career AHL'er or a guy who bounces around and around. Alot of players put up points in the AHL and can't convert that to the NHL here's a few:

Josh Holden - remember him? Probably a good comp almost a ppg in the AHL over a number of years never did anything

Jason Krog - remember him? what has he done, that guy lights it up in the AHL

I could go on and on.

There is a big step from the AHL to the NHL and some of the most important factors are:

1. Either size or speed, preferably both, but you can't have neither. Kadri has neither. He is a tweener

2. Intensity and desire to make it. The kid was called fat by Burke this year when he showed to camp. Is that commitment? Not to mention as I said prior, 6th overall, supposedly offensively talented center, can't make one of the worst teams in the league in need of an offensively talented center in three years? really? and you think he can make the jump? Just because the Hockey News said he was ranked high doesn't mean he's capable of playing at the NHL level.

3. You say pressure? He has been given every oppty to show he can play at the NHL level, they are trying their best to ensure he isn't a bust as he was Burke's first draft pick as the Lafs GM...Maybe he's just not good, and see the fat comment above again..

4. Defensively responsible, kind of ties into number one, which he is not. Which we know = AV's doghouse

5. Courage. Courage to go to the hard spots, to take a hit, to get manhandled to make a play to drive to the net knowing you're going to get smoked by a dman. He plays on the fringes like Raymond, we don't need a slightly larger MayRay without the speed. That works in the AHL, you can't play on the fringes in the NHL and put up numbers, ie the reason along with his committment to the game that he hasn't in three years shown any hints of being even capable of being not only a second line nhl'er but even an nhl'er at all.

Kadri is junk and will be a rape from the Leafs.

Archived