The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Whatever does happen I am sure that Gillis will do the best he can for the makeup and chemistry of the team. Roberto has served us well, but his time here is done.

It is good to see that all parties involved have chosen the high road of respect and silence now.

Now if we could find a way to get Thing of the ES to disappear.....that would be great.

Whatever does happen I am sure that Gillis will do the best he can for the makeup and chemistry of the team. Roberto has served us well, but his time here is done.

It is good to see that all parties involved have chosen the high road of respect and silence now.

Now if we could find a way to get Thing of the ES to disappear.....that would be great.

Let's keep it active. A few questions

Who here thinks that Roberto Luongo will be able to win a Stanley Cup after he is traded from Vancouver?

Now considering the teams possibly in the mix for him, who would be improved dramatically enough to become a contender?

Luongo is an excellent goalie and would change the dynamic of any team he joined.

I say Chicago. However, I have a hard time seeing a team that hounded his psyche so much in the last few seasons be a place he would want to go.

Final question. What do you think was the reason for his decline in Vancouver?

1. Pulling his groin one to many times.

2. Hard ass, unforgiving Vancouver media and fans.

3. Losing his mental edge during playoff contention.

I am not interested in beating whatever remains of the dead horse, merely interested in what fellow Canuck fans think.

Who here thinks that Roberto Luongo will be able to win a Stanley Cup after he is traded from Vancouver?

Now considering the teams possibly in the mix for him, who would be improved dramatically enough to become a contender?

Luongo is an excellent goalie and would change the dynamic of any team he joined.

I say Chicago. However, I have a hard time seeing a team that hounded his psyche so much in the last few seasons be a place he would want to go.

I am not interested in beating whatever remains of the dead horse, merely interested in what fellow Canuck fans think.

I dont think Luongo will win a Stanley Cup anywhere unfortunately. Unless of course whatever team he ends up on goes on some kind of magical run while facing 4 inferior opponents.

I get on Luongo's case quite often which is no secret but I only say that he wont win because I believe his playoff issues are a pattern with him, which I am not convinced he will be able to break.

I think the reason for Luongo's decline is a combination of

- The groin problems

- Age and constant butterfly style taking it's toll

- The playoff meltdowns and the resulting disappointment of them

- AV never pulling him from the net in time to save his remaining confidence when he's off his game

I also think Luongo's decline is amplified in appearance by Schneider's ascent.

Luongo certainly has the ability to win a Cup after Vancouver. With that said, an argument can be made that he hasn't been the same since the first meltdown in Chicago. All of this recent crap on Twitter isn't exactly encouraging, either, IMO. Strikes me as a guy who's realized that there are far more important things in life than hockey; which is nice, and true, but he's not the same cold-blooded goalie that single-handedly took this team to a division championship and the second round in '07.

A lot of teams could benefit: Chicago & Washington being the two most obvious and immediate ones, IMO. Lu would probably push both Edmonton and Toronto into the playoffs, barring otherwise reasonable health amongst key players. And if Huberdeau's as good as advertised, the Panthers might also be pushed into new territory, but I still don't think they're all that good at the moment.

As you all know, I would've preferred keeping Lu and moving Schneider for more immediate help. I think it's a huge risk for this team to go with a new goalie at this stage. We don't know how Schneider will respond to this fanbase when they turn against him, which will happen, probably pretty quickly. Lu - in relation to the change in his personality referenced above - appears to have just been becoming comfortable with it, which was the one benefit of being more aloof.

Archived