The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

I actually suggested something along those lines early on in the Luongo saga.

I think I was looking for both Schenns in return, but I was giving the Flyers a defenseman as well. It was kind of tongue in cheek, but I was suggesting the Flyers bury Breezy in the minors like the Rags did with Redden. Unfortunately, the new CBA will likely do away with that option.

Thinking outside the box a bit, I wonder what Homer would say to Luo and Edler for the Schenns? Don't get me wrong, I love Eddie, but as a pending UFA, I don't know if we can keep him...

Being a Homer, I don't like that deal.  I wouldn't give Luongo one for one for Luke when he was in Toronto, so that aspect doesn't look any sweeter now, which is what would hang up that deal from my perspective.   I'm sceptical about Schenn's mobility and awareness - yes, he is young, but those are two things that are difficult to simply develop.   I'd consider the Brayden/Edler part of the deal, but I don't like the idea of moving a top 4 blueliner with definite top 2 potential for a young forward - simply harder to come by defensemen of that quality.

I would not be surprised at all, however, if Philly does whatever it takes to move Bryz.

I think a deal with Philly without a blueliner going their way would have to involve their wealth of young forwards.  If Edler were going their way, I'd want something more along these lines in return:

Luongo, Edler

Couturier, Simmonds, Coburn

I almost forgot part 2:

Bryz to Toronto for Bozak if they don't like the Kadri deal :bigblush:

A problem for us here in the Luongo thread is that the complications of an extended lockout are making it difficult to come up with reasonably informed proposals.  With the UFA status of Edler approaching, and the uncertainty of the future salary cap, it's difficult to know what the unknown possibilities/necessities will be.  It could be that moving Luongo for prospects/picks alone will be very necessary to create cap space - it could be that looking for another top 4 will be necessary, if Edler is lost to UFA status, or that packaging Edler will be necessary if a lockout ends and he remains unsigned.  The one positive thing that I'd be willing to bet is that Gillis is tracking strategic changes day by day however, and that when there is movement, the Canucks will be prepared out of the gate...

Normally, I'd agree regarding Eddie. However, the fact that he would be a UFA factors into my belief that we couldn't get as much for him.

I've seen estimates of 6 million plus for Edler on a new contract and I don't think that it's too far off the mark. The question is, can the Canucks afford him? Or is it better to trade him for a younger, cheaper player who while certainly a downgrade offensively, was top 5 in hits last season and might just blossom into the player he was expected to be coming out of junior, while playing in the Canucks' system?

Don't get me wrong. I love Eddie and would be loathe to trade him, but with the new CBA on then horizon, I'm not convinced that we will be able to re-sign him.

Archived