The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Dude. Put your hate for the Leafs aside for a minute and just imagine this atrocious proposal became true.

Kessel - 1st line sniper, capable of 35-50 goals (he would get 50 playing with the Sedins)

Phaneuf - One of the best hitters in this game and arguably a top ten D man

Kadri - Former top ten pick, still has potential

Rielly - Future top 2-4 offensive D man

We all know Burke isn't dumb enough to offer this package but MG would be an idiot to not accept this in less than a heartbeat.

And look at what the Leafs have surrounded him with. Imagine how much worse off they'd be without him!

And your "one-trick wonder" comment is rich. What exactly does Stamkos do, besides score goals? Has he made Tampa better? They didn't even make the playoffs last year! If a guy can score 30 annually, that's a pretty valuable "one-trick", is it not?

I am not taking anything away from Kessel, but when you look at it they traded Seguin, Hamilton and I believe Knight. No matter which way you look at it that was a bold move so I don't see why trading a 4th round pick ( as in the example ) is so much more a risk to them.

I didn't edit my post. What I said was that it could work out for them, but it would be the gamble of all gambles that I doubt any GM would be "bold" enough to take.

Only way Philly gets rid of Bryz is by trading him to Columbus, and they'd probably have to take back Wisniewski in return and give Columbus a 1st round pick, as well. That could make them Philly buyers for Luongo.

Are you kidding? This is extremely uninformed, even for you.

Have you ever watched a Tampa Bay game or seen Stamkos play hockey?

Stamkos threw over 100 hits last year, and was 2nd best on the Lightning in plus/minus.

Kessel threw 12 (his average in three years in Toronto) and has been a -38 there.

There literally is absolutely no comparison between these players. Even if you isolate Kessel's lone strength, over the past three seasons Stamkos has taken 872 shots and scored 156 goals while Kessel took 917 shots, scoring 99 goals. By comparison, Burrows has scored 89 goals on 559 shots. Apparently Burrows is a far better sniper than Kessel, and in all other aspects of the game, is vastly superior - but that doesn't stop people like Mullet from suggesting that Kessel would belong on the top line in Vancouver. PPPPFFFFFTTTT!!!!

Read Elvis' revealing post King. Kessel has been 20th, 29th, and 20th on the Leafs (that's relative to his bad teammates) in plus minus his three years there. The whole "the Leafs are bad" but Kessel isn't, 'he's just playing for a bad team' argument is nonsense. The fact is that the Leafs have surrounded Kessel with 20 or more players every season who are better all around five on five hockey players than he is.

Yes - Kessel is a one trick pony, and without that trick, would have a hard time making the Icelandic Hockey League.

Question: who are the bad Leafs King?

Analogy: the L.A. Lakers are 2 and 11 when Kobe Bryant scores 30 or more points. They are 8 and 3 when he scores less than 30. What do you think that means?

Have you ever watched a Tampa Bay game or seen Stamkos play hockey?

Stamkos threw over 100 hits last year, and was 2nd best on the Lightning in plus/minus.

Kessel threw 12 (his average in three years in Toronto) and has been a -38 there.

There literally is absolutely no comparison between these players. Even if you isolate Kessel's lone strength, over the past three seasons Stamkos has taken 872 shots and scored 156 goals while Kessel took 917 shots, scoring 99 goals. By comparison, Burrows has scored 89 goals on 559 shots. Apparently Burrows is a far better sniper than Kessel, and in all other aspects of the game, is vastly superior - but that doesn't stop people like Mullet from suggesting that Kessel would belong on the top line in Vancouver. PPPPFFFFFTTTT!!!!

First - the name is not "Dude", Mullet, andI don't need a minute - I know what kind of players Phaneuf and Kessel are - the types the Canucks should avoid if they want to continue to contend.

Second - you throw the word "hate" around far too freely.

Third - The Sedins with Kessel = disaster. Most Canucks fans have probably noticed that Burrows is an outstanding two-way player, great backchecker, excellent all around pursuit of the puck, good on the boards and on the cycle, and goes to the dirty area at the front of the net - an all around great complement to the Sedins. Kessel would be an utter disaster - what you'd see is the 'top' line pinned in their own end of the ice - teams would forecheck them like gangbusters - not to mention that I don't consider Kessel a puck possession type of forward - five on five he would be a complete misfit playing with the Sedins.

Fourth - spare me the nonsense about Phaneuf being a top ten defenseman. It's already been done to death in this thread - but Phaneuf isn't even on the radar. He's been nowhere near the top 20 in Norris voting since arriving in Toronto years ago. You need hockey sense and the ability to skate in order to be considered a top ten blueliner.

Kadri - who cares. Bad fit.

If the Canucks cut a deal like this, they may as well offer paper bags, scissors and magic markers at GM Place concessions.

Just out of curiosity, are the people saying that Kadri, Bozak, plus...... (say rights to Franson or a 2nd) isn't worth it, are the same people who believe Luongo couldn't land us Bjugstad alone?

It seems a lot of people on these boards get caught up with the draft status of a player and what they do the immediate year after, only to completely change their opinion when they realize that player isn't a superstar the year after that.

For example...... Kyle Turris when drafted : This guy is the next Gretzky, it would probably take the Sedin's to get him! Then the same people 2 years later: Turris is a bust, Phoenix would be smart to trade him for a 3rd round pick just to get something in return.

My point though, people are saying Bjugstad is the next Rick Nash. He's not exactly setting the world on fire this year, with less than a point per game, something he achieved last season. So how long until people change their tune from Luongo couldn't get us Bjugstad alone, to Bjugstad alone couldn't land Florida Luongo?

Im glad MG is more patient than our fan base :)

Can't believe you actually think that Luongo, Raymond (nuck fans whipping boy), Ballard (6 dman), Edler (UFA) and 2 low draft picks have anywhere near the trade value of those leaf players? Really?

Your hate for the Leafs is shining through buddy. But so is your ignorance.

Archived