The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

I doubt it. If he has so little value, he maybe doesn't even get claimed and we pay his salary (and maybe still have his cap hit if that makes it into the new CBA). If he does get claimed we get nothing. Even a 2nd tier pick would be better than either of those options.

It won't come to that though, since we wouldn't have 5 teams in the discussion prior to the lockout if they were all offering their cap dumps and nothing else.

Why on earth would Gillis put him on waivers and lose him for nothing? That's one of the stupidest ideas I've heard.

Gillis: "If you don't accept this trade to Toronto, I'll put you on waivers. Maybe Columbus would like to pick you up?"

Luongo: "I call your bluff. You'd never put me on waivers and lose me for nothing."

as cryptic as MG is being I agree with everything hes saying. I also agree with what Burke is saying when he says the leafs are prepared to roll forward with Reimer and Scrivens. Making trades is a waiting game, and as far as I'm concerned the canucks have two great assets locked up for the next 3 years. If the demand isn't there right now then we wait. Teams like Edm, Tampa, Fla, Tor, Chi, Wash are all teams that could be contenders, and i use that word lightly, in the next 2-3 seasons. They are also teams that have goaltending issues that could go either way depending on how their prospects turn out. If no one wants to budge now, then why force a trade. Luongo and Schneider can play 50 50 until one team jumps. I don't want to deal Lu to Toronto for a guy like Bozak. I'd rather trade him for someone old and great that can help us win a cup. We have enough fringe 3rd liners, or decent enough prospects in the cupboard. I'm not saying our future is bright by any means, but why trade a future HOF goalie for someone who will play 3rd line centre. Get a Hossa or a Danny Boyle before we trade for a Bozak. Get a stud dman for Schneider and keep Luongo. Gamble on a potential lottery pick early in the season like Washington did for Varlamov. We have Cannata and Lack who will be ready to take over when Lu's done in the next 5-10 years if need be.

Dreger floated waivers last week.

It's the contract. Sheldon Souray and Wade Redden were put on waivers, too. Not that they're not good enough for the NHL, but because nobody wanted to touch those contracts.

It is an option, and it's actually probably Gillis' best leverage piece in this deal, since I can't imagine Luongo wanting spend the next decade in Columbus. This being a potential scenario is probably so severe that he'd accept a trade to a place like Toronto, even though he'd clearly rather be in FLA.

Under the NHL's proposed CBA moving Luongo will be easier then finding a date in Surrey. His salary cap will drop to 4.7 million. If he retires, we take on the rest of his salary cap = no risk at all for new owners. AND we can even hold back a portion of his contract. Under the NHL's proposal, Luongo just turned more valuable then Shane Doan was this summer.

Haha at this point whatever he says just makes him seem more embaressing, I unfollowed him so long ago.

But I dont think they can ask alot, and they have treated him terribly, they have guys go 20 games without a goal and are huge minus's and then he comes up and gives them a big offensive boost, last time he was a + and they still send him down, I agree with everything Don Cherry says, it just doesn't make sense.

Under the NHL's proposed CBA moving Luongo will be easier then finding a date in Surrey. His salary cap will drop to 4.7 million. If he retires, we take on the rest of his salary cap = no risk at all for new owners. AND we can even hold back a portion of his contract. Under the NHL's proposal, Luongo just turned more valuable then Shane Doan was this summer.

It really doesn't make sense, he's a young guy, plenty left to show. For being in the top 10 I think the leaves were hoping he'd have shown more than he has so far, but that's how she goes.

I've noticed a few times you mentioning kadri's name in passing. Now i'm not a hater or a fan of his I'd like to think I'm being realistic on the situation. Where would he fit in with our line up? In my opinion to be an effective player kadri would have to be a top 6 player. Do we really have a top 6 spot availible for him full time? Even if we did would he fit?

I dont think he has been giving enough opportunity, and right away they buried him, he should have been on that team a few years ago, he provides more offense then some of the players on there team and he still gets sent down.

On our team I think he could play 3rd line center, like Coho, center the 2nd unit PP, and Im sure he can play wing so he could also slot into the top 6 when needed, he has been working on his two-way game, so he could help us out in a 3rd line role.

I'm of much the same mind that he hasn't been well utilized in to, but I really think Lappy should get a look at 3C this year, He's put on a few pounds this year and could take some of the hard minutes of Kes (when he comes back. If the season even starts in before he's back) It almost seems like he's just itching to make a big impression. I do agree some depth at C would help. I'm not a huge fan of his but what about Colbourne if we sent him down to the wolves for a season or two to develop properly unlike with the marlies and being rushed back while being hurt

Archived