Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Templeton Peck

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

3,003 posts in this topic

Please, you are reaching. Somehow I don't think that a single NHL player will have any hesitation about going into a corner with Steven Stamkos hot on his tail.

Stamkos is a better player. Yes. But he's clearly not doing much besides providing offense, given Tampa's inability to make the playoffs. And again, I'll ask if John Tavares is part of the problem in Long Island, like you claim that Phil Kessel is in Toronto. Waiting for your answer on that one.

Please, you are reaching. Somehow I don't think that a single NHL player will have any hesitation about going into a corner with Steven Stamkos hot on his tail.

Stamkos is a better player. Yes. But he's clearly not doing much besides providing offense, given Tampa's inability to make the playoffs. And again, I'll ask if John Tavares is part of the problem in Long Island, like you claim that Phil Kessel is in Toronto. Waiting for your answer on that one.

Thoughts on this trade:

To Det:

Kesler, Lu, Ballard, 3rd

To Van:

Howard, Datsyuk and Filppulla

Kesler => Datsyuk. Datsyuk is a better player now but not by my much. Kesler is also 6 years younger and a Michigan boy.

Lu, Ballard, 3rd =< Howard, Filppulla.

To TO:

Howard, Sauve, Archibald, Alberts, 2nd

To Van:

Rielly or Gardiner and rights to Franson

TO gets a young starting goalie, 2 mid prospects, dman depth, a high pick.

Sign Vandermeer, Ellis and Brule

Sedins Burr

Booth Datsyuk Ray/Kass

Higgins Filpp Hansen

Lap Manny Ray/Kass

Brule

Ebbett

Pinz

Ham Bieksa

Edler Franson

Garrison Tanev

Vandermeer

Connaughton

Schneider

Ellis

Lack

Thoughts on this trade:

To Det:

Kesler, Lu, Ballard, 3rd

To Van:

Kesler => Datsyuk. Datsyuk is a better player now but not by my much. Kesler is also 6 years younger and a Michigan boy.

To TO:

To Van:

TO gets a young starting goalie, 2 mid prospects, a high pick.

Sedins Burr

Booth Datsyuk Ray/Kass

Higgins Filpp Hansen

Lap Manny Ray/Kass

Brule

Ebbett

Pinz

Ham Bieksa

Edler Fransin

Garrison Tanev

Vandermeer

Connaughton

Schneider

Ellis

Lack

Thoughts on this trade:

To Det:

Kesler, Lu, Ballard, 3rd

To Van:

To TO:

To Van:

Sedins Burr

Booth Datsyuk Ray/Kass

Higgins Filpp Hansen

Lap Manny Ray/Kass

Brule

Ebbett

Pinz

Ham Bieksa

Edler Franson

Garrison Tanev

Vandermeer

Connaughton

Schneider

Ellis

Lack

That first one would be declined. Datsyuk is there franchise player and they would probably rather have Howard over Lu anyways, Howard is very very underrated, maybe not that top notch ability Lu has, but he is still really good and consistent.

Then Toronto would probably decline the other one anyways.

I just don't see it.

Datsyuk is 34 and will be on the decline in the next year or two. Howard has had poor playoffs the last 2 years and still needs to improve.

Thx for not flaming.

That certainly is a blockbuster!

If you're going that big, I think Detroit is gonna want Edler, in which case it simply becomes a gigantic deal.

I'm not sure there is a lot of need or room to upgrade on Howard, but if he is dealt, I don't think it woud be necessary to add four pieces to land Gardiner or Reilly - Howard is a legit starter in the top half of his class - if anything, he's worth than one of those guys straight up.

It's certainly an ambitious proposal.

Filpulla and Howard are both UFAs and due for significant raises.

My preference would be to simplify it...

To Van:

Brendan Smith, Darren Helm, Matt Frattin

To Detroit

Luo, Gardiner

To Toronto

Howard

Detroit has never sold out their veterans; even though scoring a younger home town boy is compelling. The proposal is fun conversation! :) . But Datsyuk, called by some the best pure talent in the league (he can dangle like no other) and is still a defensive force, is one of few who are clearly better than Kesler.

In fact they have done a better job than anyone in memory extending their careers, managing their roles and still finding some sizzle still left in their skills ; see Lidstrom, Yzerman, Chelios, Larry Murphy, Bertuzzi...

Thoughts on this trade:

To Det:

Kesler, Lu, Ballard, 3rd

To Van:

To TO:

To Van:

Sedins Burr

Booth Datsyuk Ray/Kass

Higgins Filpp Hansen

Lap Manny Ray/Kass

Brule

Ebbett

Pinz

Ham Bieksa

Edler Franson

Garrison Tanev

Vandermeer

Connaughton

Schneider

Ellis

Lack

To Det:

Kesler, Lu, Ballard, 3rd

To Van:

Derp.

I must have missed the 2012 Olympic hockey.

Here was Team Canada's blueline in the 2010 Olympics:

• Scott Niedermayer, 36 (Anaheim Ducks)

• Chris Pronger, 35 (Philadelphia Flyers)

• Shea Weber, 24 (Nashville Predators)

• Drew Doughty, 20 (Los Angeles Kings)

• Duncan Keith 26 (Chicago Blackhawks)

• Dan Boyle, 33 (San Jose Sharks)

• Brent Seabrook, 24 (Chicago Blackhawks)

Which one of those guys is named Dion Phaneuf?

Right.

In other words the Canucks are not getting back two Olympians - and I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Phaneuf will not be making Canada's Olympic team anytime soon. Our #1 on the other hand is a far better bet.

So we send the Olympic gold goaltender their way - and a defenseman who (another limb) will be playing on Sweden's next Olympic blueline - and a couple roster players, and a couple first round picks... forget it. Noob much? Noobs tend to buy Laffs hype about their "stars".

Spare me the Edler is a UFA line - have a look at what Boston paid for the aging UFA/rental Kaberle and have a rethink of Edler's trade value - assuming he is not signed here after the lockout, in which case this deal looks downright horrible.

Luongo, Edler, Ballard, Raymond, 1st, 1st (ie Jensen and Gaunce) - not much of a price to pay at all LOL.

The issue is that we would not improve in that trade. It's not that the values are more or less equal, it's that what we get back would not put us over the top for next year, or the year after.

The issue is that we would not improve in that trade. It's not that the values are more or less equal, it's that what we get back would not put us over the top for next year, or the year after.

Reilly shouldn't be a maybe on anyone's list. The kid is amazing.

I was actually responding to Higgyfan, not you sampy.

I am not a huge fan of a trade with Toronto, because unless they decide to trade us some awesome prospects (Reilly/Khadri), then I don't see us improving. We need one or two guys in return for Lu that can make an impact now.

Your hate for the Leafs is shining through buddy. But so is your ignorance.

You initiated this conversation with "buddy" - "ignorance" -and then "fanboy" - and here you are taking a 180 and the 'high road' against name calling.

Carry on - your 'conversation' - with someone else.

True. I just really like Datsyuk and I'm not the biggest fan of all the drama Kesler brings.

The Canucks NEED an offensive dman as they don't have any in the lineup or in the prospects pool. The Canucks have plenty of forward prospects trying out for very few positions, Lack and Cannata look to be good goalie prospects and a couple dman prospects that may be good journeyman but no offensive dman. It is obvious to everyone in the hockey world that Burke desperately needs a goalie and Burke is quoted as saying his teams are built from the goalie out. MG should be asking for Gardiner or Rielly and if Burke doesn't want to pony up then make a deal with another team.

My ideal trade would be:

Lu, mid prospect, draft pick

For

Gardiner/Rielly and Connolly/Bozak

If Biggs or Kadri could be had in a bigger trade great, but Gardiner or Rielly is who the Canucks really need.

This loclout has seriuosly hampered the abilty of the Canucks to trade Lou and to get what they feel hes worth ! Another year older, rusty as all get out ! Not a good scenario.