The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

That certainly is a blockbuster!

If you're going that big, I think Detroit is gonna want Edler, in which case it simply becomes a gigantic deal.

I'm not sure there is a lot of need or room to upgrade on Howard, but if he is dealt, I don't think it woud be necessary to add four pieces to land Gardiner or Reilly - Howard is a legit starter in the top half of his class - if anything, he's worth than one of those guys straight up.

It's certainly an ambitious proposal.

Filpulla and Howard are both UFAs and due for significant raises.

My preference would be to simplify it...

To Van:

Brendan Smith, Darren Helm, Matt Frattin

To Detroit

Luo, Gardiner

To Toronto

Howard

That certainly is a blockbuster!

If you're going that big, I think Detroit is gonna want Edler, in which case it simply becomes a gigantic deal.

I'm not sure there is a lot of need or room to upgrade on Howard, but if he is dealt, I don't think it woud be necessary to add four pieces to land Gardiner or Reilly - Howard is a legit starter in the top half of his class - if anything, he's worth than one of those guys straight up.

It's certainly an ambitious proposal.

Filpulla and Howard are both UFAs and due for significant raises.

My preference would be to simplify it...

To Van:

Brendan Smith, Darren Helm, Matt Frattin

To Detroit

Luo, Gardiner

To Toronto

Howard

Not terrible, but I don't think Detriot and Toronto would be on board, Detriot would rather stick with Howard than get Lu, Toronto doesn't wanna give up Gardiner and for us it's all gravy. Even Smith isn't that much worse than Gardiner skill and upside wise, and they love Helm. I see both Detriot and Toronto saying no.

I don't think Detriot wins badly.

Lu for Howard really doesn't interest them enough to pull the trigger and aside from that Smith is really good, he's possibly just as good as Gardiner people in Detriot have been saying and Helm is one of those players teams highly covet.

As for Toronto it's all about Gardiner, They don't wanna give him up, Burke already said that, And Frattin isn't garbage either he could get them something nice, earlier there were rumour of Frattin 2nd for Bernier which shows he's no choppped liver either.

How do you think Detriot wins badly?

Smith, Helm, and Frattin is a decent return for Luongo

Detroit is absolutely thrilled they get Luongo and Gardiner for only Howard, Smith, and Helm

But Toronto...... They have to give up Gardiner and Frattin for Howard? Burkie not Happy!

Edit- Not that Howard is bad, I just think Burkes whole plan is to get a goalie without giving up Reilly or Gardiner, as they are part of his "fast track" rebuild and are needed now and in the immediate future. I think the whole point is to get a goalie while giving up secondary prospects.... which they have alot of.

Detroit is not as wary as Toronto is of long term contracts.

They have Zetteburg, Franzen, and Kronwall signed til 2021, 2020, 2019...

In Howard Toronto gets a guy they can sign to a term they are comfortable with - they might be able to agree to terms with Howard as part of the deal.

On a tangentially related note the Blue Jays have traded for a veteran all star pitcher for what is being reported as possibly two of their best prospects to the Mets. Particulars are still unknown as the deal is contingent on Jays being able to extend Dickey (the pitcher with 1 more year on his current deal) by two or more years. Suffice to say Jay fans are having quite the fit and much of the baseball world agrees, viewing the return as somewhat heavy, but their GM is going for all the marbles this year.

The pitcher is 38 but in baseball years he’s viewed as 33-34 on account of being a knuckleballer. The prospect(s) rumored to be going to NY are, in hockey terms, of the Rilley, Bjugstead or Gardiner type. One is a rated as top 10 in all of MLB.

The parallels with Luango are intriguing. Assuming the CBA gets settled and Lou type contracts are either grandfathered or a buyout is allowed as an option at some point; really, any outcome other than the new team being stuck with the cap irrespective of the player’s active/retirement status, the 5.3 cap makes the contract golden for whoever acquires him.

Note to Gillis: keep reaching for those stars. Don’t be like GM Sutter and trade away a star player for scraps or 2nd rate prospects. Burkie is no Anthopolous but he too, in his own way, is going for it in trying for a playoff spot.

Also first round picks outside the lottery are overrated. Nothing should be off the table.

I don't think your Detroit proposal was far off in value exchanged.

I also don't think they'd want to move their top two centers - and I'm also fairly certain they would gun hard for Edler.

I'm also don't see Filpulla as a third line center.

I'm not keen on trading Kesler for a guy 6 years older, even if Datsyuk is currently the player he is - I think you balanced values well there, but I think the Canucks aim is to remain younger.

I think the second proposal is a large overpayment for Gardiner - he (and Franson's rights) are not worth a top 15 starting goaltender and 4 other pieces imo - Luo alone is worth Gardiner and UFA Bozak (would not be interested in Connolly).

The Canucks do have an offensive defenseman in the prospect pool - Connauton is a 22 yr old who moves the puck very well, is a powerplay qb with a big shot, and a bit of mean streak mixed in - played in the AHL all-star game last year and won the hardest shot competition.

I also think both Edler and Garrison have too much offensive upside to say the Canucks have no offensive defensemen on the roster (and 81 points from the shutdown pairing isn't bad either).

On a tangentially related note the Blue Jays have traded for a veteran all star pitcher for what is being reported as possibly two of their best prospects to the Mets. Particulars are still unknown as the deal is contingent on Jays being able to extend Dickey (the pitcher with 1 more year on his current deal) by two or more years. Suffice to say Jay fans are having quite the fit and much of the baseball world agrees, viewing the return as somewhat heavy, but their GM is going for all the marbles this year.

The pitcher is 38 but in baseball years he’s viewed as 33-34 on account of being a knuckleballer. The prospect(s) rumored to be going to NY are, in hockey terms, of the Rilley, Bjugstead or Gardiner type. One is a rated as top 10 in all of MLB.

The parallels with Luango are intriguing. Assuming the CBA gets settled and Lou type contracts are either grandfathered or a buyout is allowed as an option at some point; really, any outcome other than the new team being stuck with the cap irrespective of the player’s active/retirement status, the 5.3 cap makes the contract golden for whoever acquires him.

Note to Gillis: keep reaching for those stars. Don’t be like GM Sutter and trade away a star player for scraps or 2nd rate prospects. Burkie is no Anthopolous but he too, in his own way, is going for it in trying for a playoff spot.

Also first round picks outside the lottery are overrated. Nothing should be off the table.

I think I've heard this song before however... the one that goes like this - Burke would never trade Schenn, not for 10 1st round picks...

They can keep their Gardiner if they are so obstinate - the problem being that he'll be playing in front of the young goaltenders the Leafs have conceded they do not want to move forward with - they showed their cards - they want a veteran.

Detroit may get Lu and Gardiner, but they have given up Smith - who is not a B prospect by any stretch of the imagination, Helm who is an excellent third line center, and Howard, a young, experienced, legitiimate starter with some very good numbers to show for it. They are giving up their share of value.

I think there has been a tendency in these past few pages to significantly undervalue Howard. I am going against the grain here - Gardiner is a quality young player/prospect, but he is not as valuable as hyped. They retain Reilly, who as far as I'm concerned will make them forget about Gardiner.

Toronto may not want to give up a decent young player but they are pipe-dreaming if they think they are going to land a goaltender in the top half of the starting field by only giving up B assets and throwing cap dumps in to boot. They'll get what they pay for - and if they want to land a goaltender for Komisarek and a spare part, Byrzgalov might be on the market.

I like the deal and think it's reasonable - the Canucks get a prospect blueliner, a young RW, and a third line center.

Detroit doesn't win as significantly as suggested. Aside from Smith and Howard, Helm is a very speedy, aggressive, hard working third line center who, while he may not light up the scoresheet, makes a lot of good things happen - I would love to see this guy between Higgins and Hansen.

By "B level" prospects I just meant that thhey are not at the top of the list on Toronto's depth chart, but it doesn't necessarily mean their skill is considered B level. They still have the likes of Nazem Kadri, Carter Ashton, Joe Colborne, Matt Finn, Tyler Biggs, Stuart Percy, and of course draft picks. More than enough to get a deal done without moving Reilly or Gardiner.

Archived