The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

I expect Kassian to be intense, to eventually score goals on the first line, and to have the odd fight. Burrows will not defend the Twins and if he's as good as people make him up to be, he can score goals on the second line playing with Kesler and Booth, giving an extra jolt of energy to that line. If I'm the opposition and I have to play against a BURROWS - KESLER - BOOTH line, I'm tentative and therefore make mistakes which in turn that line capitalizes on.

Removing Burrows from the top line will not make a dent in the Sedins' play one bit. Kassian could in theory, score as many goals as Burrows, Carter and Klatt playing an intense game beside the Twins while bringing an intangible Burrows cannot compete with; toughness and defending the Twins.

Imagine the opposition know they would have to answer to Kassian if they roughed up the Twins; the Sedins would most likely bring their game to a totally new level knowing they are backed by Kassian if thing get too rough and that in itself is an extremely scary thought for 29 other teams.

Had this structure been played out since Kassian's trade to the Canucks, I would think Keith would have second guessed his blatant elbow to Daniel, which might have meant a Cup for Vancouver instead of an early 1st round exist to the eventual SC winner and the demise of one of the greatest goaltender to play the game in a Canucks uniform.

Hopefully we get Kadri through trade then draft Carrier with out 1st.

Carrier - Kadri - Jensen, could be a great scoring line for us in the future, there is a great combination of size, speed and skill, then style wise Kadri and Carrier are in theory more playmaking type players (Who can still finish) and Jensen seems to be a pure finisher so it could be a great line in the future.

Hopefully we get Kadri through trade then draft Carrier with out 1st.

Carrier - Kadri - Jensen, could be a great scoring line for us in the future, there is a great combination of size, speed and skill, then style wise Kadri and Carrier are in theory more playmaking type players (Who can still finish) and Jensen seems to be a pure finisher so it could be a great line in the future.

Yeah I think we should give him a good shot on the 2nd, him Booth and Kes played really well against Buffalo then for some reason AV never really gave that line a shot together for some reason.

Kass playmaking ability is better than he is given credit for too, he controls the puck well and makes good plays, recently he has been doing it, hasn't always resulted in goals but from watching the games you can tell his playmaking and puck protecting ability is good.

But don't put him with the twins right away, no reason to ruin a good thing.

Kadri is there to generate offense. He's gotten 25 points in 25 games; he's doing his job. You're just looking for excuses as to why his offensive production should be discounted, not unlike what Mike Gillis said about "manipulating" Cody Hodgson's situational play (bollocks) and not unlike what so many of those in denial are saying about Justin Schultz, that his ridiculous numbers in the AHL thus far are solely attributable to the people that he's playing with (even though he leads them all).

If Kadri were not generating offense, I would also be concerned. Kinda like I am with Zack Kassian and Jordan Schroeder, two guys who are underperforming. In 30 AHL games last year, Kassian had 15 goals and 26 points; this season, 24 games in, he's gotten 6 goals and 14 points. He's also gotten 55 PIMs (roughly double what he had last year at this point), which suggests that he's either slow, lazy, or stupid. I really hope that we didn't trade Cody Hodgson for a 4th line "enforcer".

Are you concerned about either Kassian or Schroeder? Schroeder's even smaller than Kadri, as I assume you know. 15 points in 25 games.

nope not concerned about kassian whatsoever. and schroeder will depend on how he can compete vs. bigger guys.

your view is overly simplistic and like many others on here actually very incorrect in your analysis of what it takes to make the jump from ahl to nhl.

I have stated it numerous times and you can choose to disagree/discount what I am saying about what it takes and simply focus on points and that's your choice but i view it as very wrong, and also much of the reason why Kadri has not been able to make the jump despite a black hole in the position he was drafted to fill in Toronto with the big club.

Players have roles and within those roles, have to excel and have certain additional assets to make the jump or else they turn into AHL superstars who never quite crack the next level - and there is a whole boatload of great AHL point producers who never make it...so clearly points aren't the only thing that matter.

As I mentioned with Kadri, he is a tweener. He is great at the AHL level bc his weaknesses aren't exposed but they are in the NHL.

1. His skating is at best average. He does not have NHL speed and is not strong on his skates

2. He has no size and as a result number one impacts him even more so at the NHL level

3. He plays on the outside - if you want a comparable to what happens when you can't or won't go to dirty areas look at Raymond (Mayray is challenged by number 2 as well..however Raymond has number 1, great speed but look at his production?)

4. Won't even talk about committment again (weight)

5. Defensive positioning - which is effectively effort/determination/drive, is poor, and add in 1 and 2 and you have alot of issues here as well.

So when you add it up...he won't transition well, he hasn't transitioned well, he is a throw in that Burke will try to Pawn off as a potential 2nd line center when in actual fact he is now Leaf baggage.

Simple way to prove it. If he was a potential 2nd line center, a team void of offensive centers would have played him.

I pray the Nucks aren't stupid enough to take this bag of pucks back and you'll see in time. Just like I called Schnieds, I am calling the fact that this kid will never stick as a 2nd line center in the NHL.

Archived