The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

I am not sure why MG never resigned Wellwood, but either did SJ, so there may be something there. It would be intriguing to see him play with Booth and Kesler as he does have very good hands and creates plays. At that time it didn't work because Kesler was always playing with Raymond and having two soft/perimeter players would not have worked.

He's small, pudgy, soft, etc. That's solely why nobody signs him - he doesn't look like a hockey player. But the guy is unbelievably talented. I just hope he continues his ascent in Winnipeg. No reason that he can't annually get 50+ points, IMO.

Wellwood is fine on the wing. He played lots of wing on the Jets last year. He was also predominantly a winger on Toronto when he had 87 points in 129 games as a 22/23 year-old in the most scrutinized market there is.

Great hockey player, but only 5'10", not a fitness model, and looks like he's 16 years old. Better bench him!

MG never signed him because he was a 185 lb fat slow guy who was an easy target for opposing coaches setting up match up's to exploit.

If you watched us play San Jose with Wellwood, we also did exactly that as well; probably why SJ did not re-sign him. Who cares how talented he is?

I am not sure why MG never resigned Wellwood, but either did SJ, so there may be something there. It would be intriguing to see him play with Booth and Kesler as he does have very good hands and creates plays. At that time it didn't work because Kesler was always playing with Raymond and having two soft/perimeter players would not have worked.

Torres and Mitchell MG should have figure out as well. Two very good role players that could move up and down in the lineup.

Back to Lu. IMO the Canucks need to trade him for a young offensive dman that can carry the puck up. There is none in the system. The Canucks do have prospects at the centre, wing and goaltending position and some good 2-way dmen. Toronto has a couple of them.

Torres and Mitchell MG should have figure out as well. Two very good role players that could move up and down in the lineup.

Back to Lu. IMO the Canucks need to trade him for a young offensive dman that can carry the puck up. There is none in the system. The Canucks do have prospects at the centre, wing and goaltending position and some good 2-way dmen. Toronto has a couple of them.

Spare me. He played 74 and 75 games in two seasons in Vancouver. 48 and 59 the two previous years on the pathetic Leafs, and 35 the year after he left for San Jose (a half season before anyone other than the KHL showed interest).

The third line in Vancouver is not exactly the bench. It's a GD good gig.

Poor little Wellie didn't get enough opportunity in Vancouver. Give me a break. AV revived his career.

He is talented but not that talent.

He has great hands and great vision/playmaking/passing, but he doesn't have that great of a shot. Hands/playmaking wise he is unbelievable but he doesn't have the unbelievable shot to complete the entire skillset.

Are we actually talking about Wellwood? What are the Canucks; a bottom feeder?

Get what you can for Luongo,

Get Kadri at all cost,

Shouldn't have let Wellwood go,

Insanity or ignorance; pick one, because that's what I'm reading.

Luongo is our best chance to a Cup,

Kadri will have an excellent AHL career,

Wellwood is a thing of the past and thank God for that.

This team does not need to trade it's top 5 goaltender, it does not need to chaperone a Leafs' failure, nor does it need to get softer.

This team needs a 1D, some heavy toughness and some scoring; it relies too much on the Sedins to carry the load. Kesler needs to pass if he's going to center the second line and if not, this team needs a 2C to pass to Kesler and Booth.

Schneider needs to be traded at some point in order to bring in some much needed help as either a 1D, a 2C or a T6F.

Packaging Edler and Schneider together for a 1D is what I'm looking for.

Are we actually talking about Wellwood? What are the Canucks; a bottom feeder?

Get what you can for Luongo,

Get Kadri at all cost,

Shouldn't have let Wellwood go,

Insanity or ignorance; pick one, because that's what I'm reading.

Luongo is our best chance to a Cup,

Kadri will have an excellent AHL career,

Wellwood is a thing of the past and thank God for that.

This team does not need to trade it's top 5 goaltender, it does not need to chaperone a Leafs' failure, nor does it need to get softer.

This team needs a 1D, some heavy toughness and some scoring; it relies too much on the Sedins to carry the load. Kesler needs to pass if he's going to center the second line and if not, this team needs a 2C to pass to Kesler and Booth.

Schneider needs to be traded at some point in order to bring in some much needed help as either a 1D, a 2C or a T6F.

Packaging Edler and Schneider together for a 1D is what I'm looking for.

Lol another guy who brushes Kadri aside as a prospect cause he plays for the Leafs.

Luongo isn't top 5 anymore, I'ma big fan but sorry he just isnt.

And we were just talking about Wellwood, I don't want him here.

Trading Edler and Schneider would be bad for us, cause who are we going to get that he that big of an upgrade on Edler? Keep Schneider, Trade Luongo for Future assets (Mostly)

Then go from there.

He has been treated poorly, and our team generally (And Hodgson is proof of this) want to give top prospects as many chances as possible.

And Kadri can also play Wing, so he could slot in on the 2nd even after Kes returns, or else he could play on the 3rd and get the same treatment Cody got.

And he is also still only 22, so it isn't like he has to crack the line-up right away (even though it is best for him) as long as he shows he can play at this level which I think he already has.

Archived