The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Chicago: Trading him there without getting a big piece back (Hossa, Sharp, exc.) would be a career killer for MG. And I dont see any chance of them giving up a big piece. So what are we gunna get? Stalberg? They probably won't move Leddy, maybe Hjalmalsson but that's not a need we have a solid top 4, so what are we gunna get? Nothing, it won't work. if we give that core a star goaltender, then Idk how we will be able to beat them in the playoffs. This doesn't seem likely at all.

Tampa Bay: Stevie Y was interested in Schneider, the only way he wants Lu is if Lecavalier goes the other way, that's the only way. and No thanks to that, even if we only do have to eat up 3.5-4 million of it, (which might not even be the case, who knows what will be in CBA) but either way he isn't worth it, he isn't the 100 point player he was, he isn't even the 70 point player, who knoe's if he is even a 60 point player, I would say his best now is 40-50, he's aging, hes not worth the contract, I would rather just get Bozak rather than him. And they won't give us anything else that is really appealing.

New Jersey: If there playoff run proved anything it is that Marty Brodeur can still play at a high level, and with the contract they just signed him too there is no chance they will want Lu, and what are they gunna give us? They lost a few big pieces from there run, Parise, Ponikarovsky. So now that there line-up is greatly weaker what can they afford to give us? Nothing, it's not a likely scenerio at all.

Edmonton: Idk why Botch had to bring this up, there not going to give us anything big, and they dont really have alot that they could give us, plus it's probably not a huge priority for them, Dubnyk has been getting better and better, he has shown he can give them a chance to win and improving there defense is probably a much bigger priority for them as apposed to improving there goaltending. Very unlikely aswell.

Columbus: Lu won't waive his NTC to go there, and even if he would somehow, when you really think about it. why would they want him? sure a goalie like Luongo would be nice for them for sure but why would they want to do it at the price MG will want? They are a young team, they just lost there star, they aren't really in playoff contention, they are just building to a better future, why would they want to trade assets for a 33 year old goalie like Luongo. when those asset's could pay off in a much bigger way in the future when they are a good team? Unlikely aswell.

San Jose: They have Niemi, who is a starter and what are they gunna give us? Clowe. That's maybe it, but I dont know if they would do it and idk if I even want him, we wouldn't be able to get the same value and I highly doubt they even want him, Niemi has been fine, it's not Luongo is gunna be a huge difference maker, he's not gunna do a ton more than Niemi already has, that team has a decent goalie, they need to start getting younger and fix up some area's of there team, and right now I don't think goaltending is huge priority for them, not to mention there isn't alot they would be willing to part ways with. Again probably not likely.

Washington: They have 2 young goalies there, both played well (Neuvirth in the season, Holtby in the playoffs) those two can carry that team just fine as a tandem, then they can focus there assets on improving there forward group, and the rest of there skaters. There goaltending has been fine, it's not an issue at all as we saw in the playoffs, if anything it iss a strong point right now, they have other things to focus on.

Ottawa: Why? Anderson is fine for the time being and they have two good young goalies up and coming in Bishop and Lehner, then behind them Driedger isn't bad either. There team isn't ready to contend, last year was just a pleasant surprise, not saying they won't make the playoffs but right now they just have to go through this transition period where all there good young talent develops and replaces the old talent. This isn't them building into a cup contender. so since there not a contender, there is no reason to waste assets that could be better served later on.

NY Islanders: Similar thing to Columbus, they are young, they are waiting for there young talent to develop and the goaltending they have right now is good enough to hold the fort until Poulin can take the torch, and why would they want 2 goalies on lifetime contracts cause there is no way Dipietro is coming back our way.

Again, I dont see the same fit in any of these other teams like I do in Florida or Toronto, and right now Toronto seems the best.

from bad to worse

now some people here willing to take a 4.75 million waste of cap space in Connolly...

Those people who think he will waive his NTC to go to Columbus have no clue what they are talking about.

Yes he made those comments but that was more directed at the notion that he wouldn't go to Toronto.

He earned his NTC, and why would he want to waive it to go to Columbus, think about it? He would rather stay here then go there.

You make some good points, but at the same time quoting from what I said earlier

" I think people are underestimating how quickly a teams situation can change. If Luongo does end up starting the season with the Canucks there are numerous scenarios that can take place over a relatively short period of time."

Just so we're clear, I was just laying out random scenario's... not saying that they are likely to happen, but just saying there is a chance that anything could happen.

from bad to worse

now some people here willing to take a 4.75 million waste of cap space in Connolly...

Who thinks Luongo will wind up in Columbus? I must have missed that post.

Regardless, there are more possibilities than Toronto or Florida, even if they are the most likely.

I don't like Chicago or San Jose as options and New Jersey may be the least likely of all.

I think you are underestimating what Edmonton could have to offer - and Washington might make more sense than you suggest. Florida also has an elite prospect - why would they be more interested than Edmonton or Washington? Because Luongo is a veteran proven quantity.

Really, as long as there are two or three teams in the mix there is enough demand that there will be a reasonable return - and no need to take back a garbage cap dump in a deal. If unwanted salary is going to come back I could see someone like Upshall (who has a reasonable chance of actually contributing) being a concession to get Bjugstad included in the deal. Toronto's assets are not attractive enough to warrant taking back dead wood like Connolly.

In the spirit of repetition:

Luo and a depth player/pick for Bjugstad, Petrovic and Upshall (who can play either wing / can be used at RW).

Theodore to Toronto for (who cares).

I agree; the market is a bit bigger than is necessarily "actively looking." Any of these teams could surface.

And somehow I believe Lou's pledge to "do whatever is best for the team" is also well rooted in a desire not to be a Pavel Bure and holdout. He has a $6.7 mill paycheque to collect after all!

:frantic:

Too many people here forget this fact. He will go virtually anywhere, mark my words!!!

Chicago, Tampa Bay, New Jersey, Edmonton, Columbus, San Jose, Washington, Ottawa to name a few.

I think people are underestimating how quickly a teams situation can change.

Don't reiterate that crap about "well Luongo won't waive his no trade clause to go there....." If we're testing Luongo's pride vs Mike Gillis' patience I put my money on Mike Gillis' patience everytime. I can see Luongo waving his no trade clause even for a place like Long Island or Columbus if it meant he was the number 1 guaranteed starter ( and assuming they had a decent chance at the playoffs at the time Luongo was to be traded)

That is a truly pathetic attempt king

Luongo also went from .931 to .914 in 2003/4/5. Oh, decline!!!

The same logic applies to your silly claims about year to year production of the Sedins.

Your ridiculous arguments rest on the basis of one year - which you claim indicates "decline".

Again, Luongo - BETTER THAN CAREER AVERAGE NUMBERS LAST YEAR.

Chart the same kind of rankings for Lecavalier and get back to us.

DERP!

This thread is hilarious I'm going to laugh so hard at everyone debating about the Laffs fragile core if MG doesn't even deal him to the Laffs.

I'm going to say that if we do deal Luongo with the Laffs you're seeing this coming back AT LEAST...

Colborne + Kulemin +

Colborne + Grabo +

Colborne + Carter + 1st

Kadri + Kulemin +

Kadri + Grabo +

Kadri + Carter + 1st

Gardiner + 1st + Cap dump.

That's all.

Chicago: Trading him there without getting a big piece back (Hossa, Sharp, exc.) would be a career killer for MG. And I dont see any chance of them giving up a big piece. So what are we gunna get? Stalberg? They probably won't move Leddy, maybe Hjalmalsson but that's not a need we have a solid top 4, so what are we gunna get? Nothing, it won't work. if we give that core a star goaltender, then Idk how we will be able to beat them in the playoffs. This doesn't seem likely at all.

Tampa Bay: Stevie Y was interested in Schneider, the only way he wants Lu is if Lecavalier goes the other way, that's the only way. and No thanks to that, even if we only do have to eat up 3.5-4 million of it, (which might not even be the case, who knows what will be in CBA) but either way he isn't worth it, he isn't the 100 point player he was, he isn't even the 70 point player, who knoe's if he is even a 60 point player, I would say his best now is 40-50, he's aging, hes not worth the contract, I would rather just get Bozak rather than him. And they won't give us anything else that is really appealing.

New Jersey: If there playoff run proved anything it is that Marty Brodeur can still play at a high level, and with the contract they just signed him too there is no chance they will want Lu, and what are they gunna give us? They lost a few big pieces from there run, Parise, Ponikarovsky. So now that there line-up is greatly weaker what can they afford to give us? Nothing, it's not a likely scenerio at all.

Edmonton: Idk why Botch had to bring this up, there not going to give us anything big, and they dont really have alot that they could give us, plus it's probably not a huge priority for them, Dubnyk has been getting better and better, he has shown he can give them a chance to win and improving there defense is probably a much bigger priority for them as apposed to improving there goaltending. Very unlikely aswell.

Columbus: Lu won't waive his NTC to go there, and even if he would somehow, when you really think about it. why would they want him? sure a goalie like Luongo would be nice for them for sure but why would they want to do it at the price MG will want? They are a young team, they just lost there star, they aren't really in playoff contention, they are just building to a better future, why would they want to trade assets for a 33 year old goalie like Luongo. when those asset's could pay off in a much bigger way in the future when they are a good team? Unlikely aswell.

San Jose: They have Niemi, who is a starter and what are they gunna give us? Clowe. That's maybe it, but I dont know if they would do it and idk if I even want him, we wouldn't be able to get the same value and I highly doubt they even want him, Niemi has been fine, it's not Luongo is gunna be a huge difference maker, he's not gunna do a ton more than Niemi already has, that team has a decent goalie, they need to start getting younger and fix up some area's of there team, and right now I don't think goaltending is huge priority for them, not to mention there isn't alot they would be willing to part ways with. Again probably not likely.

Washington: They have 2 young goalies there, both played well (Neuvirth in the season, Holtby in the playoffs) those two can carry that team just fine as a tandem, then they can focus there assets on improving there forward group, and the rest of there skaters. There goaltending has been fine, it's not an issue at all as we saw in the playoffs, if anything it iss a strong point right now, they have other things to focus on.

Ottawa: Why? Anderson is fine for the time being and they have two good young goalies up and coming in Bishop and Lehner, then behind them Driedger isn't bad either. There team isn't ready to contend, last year was just a pleasant surprise, not saying they won't make the playoffs but right now they just have to go through this transition period where all there good young talent develops and replaces the old talent. This isn't them building into a cup contender. so since there not a contender, there is no reason to waste assets that could be better served later on.

NY Islanders: Similar thing to Columbus, they are young, they are waiting for there young talent to develop and the goaltending they have right now is good enough to hold the fort until Poulin can take the torch, and why would they want 2 goalies on lifetime contracts cause there is no way Dipietro is coming back our way.

Again, I dont see the same fit in any of these other teams like I do in Florida or Toronto, and right now Toronto seems the best.

First off I just want to Address this part of your post.

I've said it before and I will say it again, if Florida was willing to Bjugstad in the deal, it would have been done a long time ago. Tallon isn't willing to throw Bjugstad in and that's why the deal didn't get done before the CBA expired.

Now. Edmonton's offer would be (if they even want him which they probably don't) Gagner + or maybe at the most Paajarvi + and those +'s wouldn't be a 1st, it would be either a 2nd, 3rd or lesser prospect.

Now Washington has two good goalies, they dont need one, Goaltending isn't there issue so why would they trade for a goalie.

And I Toronto's are but it depends what that is, if it's Gardiner and Connolly (which will never happen but I',m just saying if) then we would have to do it. I think there is a better chance we get a better offer from Toronto rather than Florida and if we have to take a cap dumb back, aslong as the return is worth it them I'm fine with that depending on the return and the CBA.

Last thing, I explain why Florida would be more interested than Edmonton.

Because Florida doesn't have Stars like Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yakupov who are ready to step in, Huberbeau is now ready, but other than that all there top prospects are still as ways away and they won't be stars when they step in right away, they won't be ready to carry the team right away, like Eberle, RNH and Hall do.

So they want as good of goaltending as possible so they can remain as competitive as possible when these young guys step in so that they don't lose alot, and in turn start accepting losing like they did before in Florida, when they had Horton, Booth, Weiss, Ballard and so-on, they had a pretty decent team when you look on there roster but they begain to accept losing and once that happen's your hope less with that group. So they dont want that to happen again with this young core that they have worked so hard and went through so much to get in place.

Doug McLeans explains it well when he speaks in this video (he mention's my point at about 3:20):

Archived