The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Bjugstad is a future 1st liner, bar none. If you've ever seen this kid play you would know that he dominates every time he's on the ice. He's a 6'5 centre, plays physical, skates like the wind and has a shot to top it all off. Bjugstad would take the reins when the Sedins eventually retire. Because of this Florida's not willing to move him.

Bjugstad is a future 1st liner, bar none. If you've ever seen this kid play you would know that he dominates every time he's on the ice. He's a 6'5 centre, plays physical, skates like the wind and has a shot to top it all off. Bjugstad would take the reins when the Sedins eventually retire. Because of this Florida's not willing to move him.

Funny thing with the Leaf rumours and yes I know this is silly but it happened.

On NHL 13 I made a trade for Lou to Toronto, where we got a couple of picks and Grabovski for Luongo.

Next trade made was one of those picks (3rd) to Col for Milan Hejduk

Got rid of Raymond for picks.

Brought up Sauve, Connaughton, Tanev, Schroeder. First Three spelled the 6th man role.

Then traded Ballard and a third to NYI for Matt Martin. Signed Klesla as a free agent. (not sure if he is but he was in the game)

Lines

Sedin Sedin Hejduk

Higgins Kesler Burrows

Booth Grabovski Kassian

Martin Lapierre Hansen

Bieksa Hamhuis

Edler Garrison

Klesla Tanev/Connaughton/Sauve

Schnieds

Lack

Nucks won the cup over Buffalo in 6. In GM mode, didn't play the game myself.

I thought about this some more and it made sense. Get a sniper with the Sedins, pure hands and that line becomes impossible to stop, even moreso than it is now.

Lou for for Grabo-on a line with Booth and Kassian, would be better than many first lines in the league. Size, speed, playmaker, shooter, and grit. Actually wouldn't mind that deal.

Second is solid as it gets with those three (Higgs/Kesler/Burrows). Chemistry to no end there.

And fourth Martin, size and a hitter with Lapierre, and grit /tenacity with Hansen.

Get'er done when the lockout is done MG!

Nice to see that someone besides me has thought of this.

Very possible that this could happen, and it would not be good. This is why I think there could be something to the rumors of Lou to Toronto already being done in principle. Can't expose the team to this potentiality.

At this point it is all about the CBA in regards to Lu and if there is a 2012-13 season.

If there is no 2012-13 season Lu will remain a Canuck well into whenever the next season starts to see if he can still be a difference maker because nobody is going to want an average goalie who will turn 35 in the next season(assuming that is 2013-14) that was horrid after the last lockout and would want to take on that insane contract, and coming off a poor season.

No, I said - in response to the question - that if Luongo plays FAR BETTER than Schneider, it would not be good. If Luongo's playing far better than Schneider, and we trade Luongo, suddenly, the pressure on Schneider would be immense - hard to bear. Counter-intuitive for an alleged contender to trade a better-performing player to make room for someone else - who is not as productive - though I guess Mike Gillis did that once already last year, at the deadline. And I know, I know, Schneider's "mature", "mentally strong", etc., but this fanbase is far stronger, and it would not be a good situation at all. Of course, none of you can see this, because you're all living on a planet where everything is always rosy, there are never any problems, never any controversies, and we'd have multiple Cups by now if it weren't for those evil referees.

That's why I believe that Luongo's probably played his last game as a Canuck; exposure to way too many negative outcomes if he's brought back.

Huh? Luongo was fine last year. Schneider had better numbers, but he was also the backup, meaning more rest, and (in general) easier opposition.

My point this whole time has been that Luongo's good enough. IF Schneider's the better goalie - big "if", in my opinion - the variance between the two in performance is probably a lot less than the variance of the quality of package that Schneider could bring us back versus what Luongo could/will. And keeping Luongo, signed until 2022, would've just added stability to this team.

Once again your premise is false. I believe we went at this 40 odd pages ago, and your assertion still doesn't bare any weight to the on lookers of this topic. I do give you credit for trying.

His value increases as the number of markets available to deal him increase. This number of markets opens as time increases due to these factors:

1. As Luongo theoretically gets benched behind Schneider to start the season, he becomes more anxious to start elsewhere. This opens up potential trade markets like Edmonton or Columbus that Luongo wouldn't previously consider. Sitting on the bench would make any starter want to play elsewhere.

2. As time goes on, the number of teams concerned about their ability to make the playoffs increase. Teams like Toronto, Washington or Tampa Bay would theoretically need assistance in net to get over the playoff bump. Burke and Yzerman at this point become concerned about their positions as GMs, as if these teams were to miss the playoffs yet again, their jobs would certainly be at stake. This would increase their likelihood to not only trade for Luongo, but to overpay.

3. With more time gone in the season, Luongo gets over those infamous early start jitters. He would be in top shape and possibly out play Schneider by mid February. This is about the same time teams outside the playoff picture would be looking for an upgrade in goal. A vintage Luongo by the trade dealine would certainly have teams foaming at the mouth.

I understand most of this is speculation, but that is all we can really do at this point. The one scenario which cannot be accounted for is the worst possible case, in which Luongo serves the entire season here as a 'backup' unwilling to waive his no trade clause. This decreases his value sharply. No team would want a player that self concerned, making him unattractive to any of his listed teams. At this point one would have to think that Luongo to salvage his career would have to either completely waive his no trade clause or accept any team that will take him. Once again all theoretical.

I do believe there is a timeline from which the best return for Luongo is possible. That would occur before the season starts and mid-February up to the trade deadline. I am making this case not on the basis of teams needs but on the basis of GM's panicking; which as history has shown GMs will overpay. The worst possible scenario is if Gillis pulls a Howson and deals Luongo in the dead of summer for next to nothing.

In the past I have mentioned that I wouldn't be completely against doing a trade with Tampa involving Lecavalier. However, that contract most certainly does suck.

But if there's a provision in the new CBA for a team to retain salary and cap for a player they are trading away, and Stevie Y is willing to keep 1/3 of it, does that make Vinny more acceptable?

...Just speculating...

Archived