The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

I live in Edmonton, and watch a lot of Oilers games, so I feel pretty qualified to talk about their players.

This is the Oilers' depth chart for defence going into next season:

Smid-Petry

Whitney-N.Schultz

Sutton-J.Schultz

EXTRA:Peckham-Potter

Petry averaged the most minutes per game last season. He also played the second hardest competition last season as well. He also got the most points on defence. He is one of the Oilers best defencemen.

Whitney was recovering from ankle surgery last season. He was nowhere close to the level he was before.N. Schultz is a not overly physical defensive defenceman. He's a #4 or a #5 on a good team.J. Schultz is tearing it up in OKC but that's mostly on the PP. He will have sheltered minutes 5 on 5 next season.Smid was the Oilers go to defenceman paired with Petry.Sutton has to go for a 2nd surgery this off season. I out him on the depth chart put he will likely retire.Petry would be on the right side because he's a right hand shot defenceman.Look at NHL.com and behindthenet.ca and loook up the stats on Oilers defencemen. You will see Petry was one of Oilers best defencemen last season with Smid.Trading Petry FOR Luongo would make the Oilers slightly better in goal but much worse on defence.

Boo hoo.

I wonder how Luongo felt having to split time with Schneids last year? But he didn't whine about it and niether will Schneids.

Both know Lu will be gone eventually, they are good friends, and they will both get enough playing time to remain content, so there really aren't any issues, especially if the Schedule is compressed.

The idea was to showcase and eventually trade Schneider, remember? Gillis just never got around to doing that, evidently. The whole "Luongo trade" scenario was not even fathomable until Schneider was put in for Game 3 and stayed in until the beatdown series was complete. It was only at that point that the "Luongo trade" came into existence.

Schneider had played his way into the top spot, which I am pretty positive that Gillis didn't want to see happen, given what he's left to deal with now. Luongo didn't whine because he probably thought (like the rest of the fanbase) that Schneider was going to be traded, sooner or later.

And what will it be in 2013, as a 34 year-old coming off a season where he was the backup? An even worse cap dump/lower return? Yup.

The idea was to showcase and eventually trade Schneider, remember? Gillis just never got around to doing that, evidently. The whole "Luongo trade" scenario was not even fathomable until Schneider was put in for Game 3 and stayed in until the beatdown series was complete. It was only at that point that the "Luongo trade" came into existence.

Schneider had played his way into the top spot, which I am pretty positive that Gillis didn't want to see happen, given what he's left to deal with now. Luongo didn't whine because he probably thought (like the rest of the fanbase) that Schneider was going to be traded, sooner or later.

And what will it be in 2013, as a 34 year-old coming off a season where he was the backup? An even worse cap dump/lower return? Yup.

Whitney was recovering from ankle surgery last season. He was nowhere close to the level he was before.N. Schultz is a not overly physical defensive defenceman. He's a #4 or a #5 on a good team.J. Schultz is tearing it up in OKC but that's mostly on the PP. He will have sheltered minutes 5 on 5 next season.Smid was the Oilers go to defenceman paired with Petry.Sutton has to go for a 2nd surgery this off season. I out him on the depth chart put he will likely retire.Petry would be on the right side because he's a right hand shot defenceman.Look at NHL.com and behindthenet.ca and loook up the stats on Oilers defencemen. You will see Petry was one of Oilers best defencemen last season with Smid.Trading Petry FOR Luongo would make the Oilers slightly better in goal but much worse on defence.

Dude, my smiley face was a representation of what Steve Tambellini's face would look like if Mike Gillis called him up and offered him that deal.

They would NEVER even consider for more than two seconds a trade that would send us RNH. Somebody else mentioned Yakupov, which was equally laughable. The obvious target, if we're dealing with Edmonton, is probably Paajarvi. A realistic deal might be something like Luongo + Ballard for Paajarvi. But you've gotta think that Gillis will be very, very reluctant in dealing with Edmonton. Give a team like that Roberto Luongo, and they might well win the division as early as next year - and then the next 5.

I live in Edmonton, and watch a lot of Oilers games, so I feel pretty qualified to talk about their players.

Whitney is Edmonton's best defensemen, although he is always injured. Nick Schultz is their top stay-at-home guy. Smid is a poor man's Edler, and seemed to improve last season, but he has never been a favorite of mine. He was possibly rushed in to the NHL. We all know Justin Schultz, and what he's been doing in OKC this year, so no need to talk about him. Sutton is a frick'n pylon that is really only there as a big body on a small team. Peckham is exciting and frustrating at the same time. He is like a young Kevin Bieksa that will likely never be as good as KB3. Potter played well last year when injuries forced him in to the top 4, but is still developing. Petry looked decent last year, but hadn't in previous years. He is nothing to salivate over, and definitely not at the top of the Oilers D charts.

Your proposed deal is terrible. I would be chapped. Even Lu for Paajarvi would suck. Paajarvi doesn't do it for me.

He has motivational issues. He is awesome in one game, and then invisible for the next 5. He is not tough enough to be a 3rd liner, and not consistent enough to be a 2nd liner. He needs development.

Archived