The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Uh, I live in Edmonton, watch a lot of Oiler games and follow the team.

First of all, look up the stats. Nevermind, I'll do it for you.

2011-2012 - Regular Season - Edmonton Oilers - Defenseman - Summary - Points Player Team Pos GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW OT S S% TOI/G Sft/G FO%

1-12 of 12 results.

1 1 Jeff Petry Corey Potter Ryan Whitney Ladislav Smid Andy Sutton Nick Schultz MIN, EDM D 82 1 6 7 -12 40 1 0 0 0 51 2.0 19:42 28.5 0.0 7 Theo Peckham Cam Barker Colten Teubert Alex Plante Taylor Chorney STL, EDM D 5 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 2 0.0 14:08 20.4 0.0 12 Bryan Rodney EDM D 1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 13:17 21.0 0.0

That post looked a lot better when I was writing it.

Petry led the Oilers defence in pints and time one ice per game. He was paired with Smid as the Oilers top pairing and faced the opponents best forwards.

Petry was the best or 2nd best defenceman for the Oilers last season. 3rd place wasn't even close, probably N. Schultz. Sutton was better than Whitney last year. That's how much worse Whitney has gotten after his foot surgery.

Dubnyk was decent in the second half of the season but that's when the games didn't even really matter for the Oilers. The question around Dubnyk isn't his ability but consistency, can he be a #1 goalie through the entire season?

That's why Luongo is an upgrade, he has proven he is a #1 goalie. Luongo hasn't proven he can carry teams on his back to the next level. If anything, he looks to play worse in pressure situations, not better.

If the Oilers can acquire Luongo without paying with a main contributor to the team then I'm sure they would try but if was going to cost them a key member of their already weak defence or a key forward to their future, they are going to pass.

That post looked a lot better when I was writing it.

Petry led the Oilers defence in pints and time one ice per game. He was paired with Smid as the Oilers top pairing and faced the opponents best forwards.

Petry was the best or 2nd best defenceman for the Oilers last season. 3rd place wasn't even close, probably N. Schultz. Sutton was better than Whitney last year. That's how much worse Whitney has gotten after his foot surgery.

Dubnyk was decent in the second half of the season but that's when the games didn't even really matter for the Oilers. The question around Dubnyk isn't his ability but consistency, can he be a #1 goalie through the entire season?

That's why Luongo is an upgrade, he has proven he is a #1 goalie. Luongo hasn't proven he can carry teams on his back to the next level. If anything, he looks to play worse in pressure situations, not better.

If the Oilers can acquire Luongo without paying with a main contributor to the team then I'm sure they would try but if was going to cost them a key member of their already weak defence or a key forward to their future, they are going to pass.

One thing is for sure, adding the likes of Pajarvi or Gagner does absolutely nothing for us. The first ain't no better than Higgins or Jansen, to say nothing of producing in a top 6 role. The second, come playoff time, as we all know, would loose his 3rd line centre spot to a beefed up Lapierre on any AV coached team. Can't see MG bringing in any of these guys.

I don't see Luongo going to Vancouver, for numerous reasons.

For one, there's the danger of dealing stars within your division. Giving that young corps in Edmonton an all-star goalie for a reasonably low cap hit may solidify them as a contender for years to come. The optics of that situation to the public would be terrible. On the other hand, Edmonton would not want to send one of their top young guys to us for the same reason. If Lu doesn't pan out for them, and the return for him ends up being a superstar that helps us beat them for the next 10 years, the Edmonton fans will go nuts.

Secondly, there is Lu's no-trade clause. Although I suspect he'd like the idea of playing for a potential contender, the key word is "potential". There is no guarantee that the Oilers can suddenly turn it around, and go from 29th-30th to a powerhouse. And soon they'll have to cut ties with some of their young guns, because they won't be able to afford all those flashy kids when they all hit their next contract. So in the end, I just don't see Luongo waiving his clause to go there.

And lastly, I don't think goaltending is Edmonton's primary concern. Their defense is simply downright TERRIBLE. Even if Schultz can perform at an NHL level, they still have the worst D-corps in the league. They'd be better off using their assets to shore up their D, and sticking to Dubnyk, then making their big acquisition Luongo, and then hanging him out to dry behind that D.

So no...not happening.

I do not see why Edmonton would put themselves in the exact same position we are now by dealing for Luongo.

Dubnyk was is 26 years old and had a 2,67GAA and .910 on a freaken lousy Edmonton team.

Lu would certainly not been any better on that team, and I would guess Dubnyk would have done better than 2.41 and .919 on the Canucks.

In sports they say you are only good as your last game, and in Lu's case his 2011-12 season was not good. Every player has an expirary date and it comes and at different times for everyone. The 2 best pevious goalies we ever had in Van were Richard Brodeur and McLean who were all but done at Lu's current age. Please do not refer to Martin Brodeur as an example of a goalie playing well late into their career because Martin has won everything and proved himself and has never been labeled a career choker and plays in the East where the travel is much less.

Not saying that I agree with the guy, but have you looked at Dubnyk's numbers from last year?

Dubnyk: 20-20-3, 2.67, .914, 2 SO

Luongo: 31-14-8, 2.41, .919, 5 SO

In theory, given that Dubnyk is 7 years younger, it's also reasonable to assume that one guy should probably be headed up, another guy probably headed down.

So I'd like to hear why you're so wound up over this "massive upgrade" comment. Or do numbers only count when they favour the Canucks' side?

So you're saying Dubnyk is better than Luongo based off of stats from last year that weren't even as good as Lu's? You're as dumb, if not dumber than smurf. Get back to me when Dubnyk gets an Olympic Gold, multiple Vezina nominations, a Jennings trophy and a trip to the Stanley Cup Finals.

No I'm not, and you're again adjusting the question.

You asserted that Lu was a "massive upgrade" over Dubnyk. The stats don't support this, so what does? History? OK, but all that means is that Lu has likely seen his best days already, while Dubnyk has not.

What's your argument? Why is he a "massive upgrade"?

Archived