The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Just when I thought it wasn't possible, you manage to trump yourself.

The "obvious target"? Another left winger - who if falling off the charts in Edmonton - (after three Luongo threads, hundreds of pages, and as many arguments, you are still oblivious to what the Canucks need?) - and Luongo alone isn't enough to land him?

Beyond facepalm.

Yes, the "obvious target". Yours might be Jordan Eberle, but I prefer to live on this planet called Earth. MPS is a good player who was sent down last year for seasoning - and maybe to help make sure that Edmonton was as bad as they were (possible).

He's younger than Kassian, yet he's somehow "falling off the charts" in Edmonton. That's rich. He had 15 goals and 34 points as a rookie, had an injury-plagued sophomore season, and you're now writing him off? He's also averaged nearly a point per game in the AHL since being there.

Go ask Oiler fans if they'd give up MPS for Luongo. Some might, which is why this trade is fair. Others would think that we're crazy.

Soft goal from behind the goal line is Luongos nightmare, Richards knew where to shoot on him if Lou kept that out and the Canucks beat the 5 on 3 the outcome of that game would have been probably different. The team did in fact deflate and played like crap after that goal. I have been a big Luongo supporter but those weak behind the net goals he lets in are game killers. Smart players know if you shoot at his feet from bad angles you have a good chance it will go in. Enough is enough.

Of course they wouldn't. He was the 10th overall pick 3 years ago. He's younger than Zack Kassian, and oldnews has already written him off (even though he's currently gotten more points in less games than Zack in the AHL). I seem to recall another 10th overall pick from 2008, who some said was "falling off the charts" in Vancouver (not strong numbers in the AHL), who then broke out in 2011 - and then we traded him.

Edmonton would have to really, really want Luongo for them to give us MPS straight-up - don't forget that acquiring Luongo would also force them to either move Dubnyk or Khabibulin.

King of ES thinks Oilers wouldn't trade MPS straight-up for Luongo?

That's nothing short of bat-s*** crazy. Of course they would - and of course we wouldn't.

Although, he'd be a good piece as part of a package. And with Oilers' other forwards, he's a virtual afterthought to him.

I am also in favour of moving Ballard - and Edmonton may actually be a destination that would value him. I could see a smaller trade involving KB4 over Lu going to a division rival.

King of ES thinks Oilers wouldn't trade MPS straight-up for Luongo?

That's nothing short of bat-s*** crazy. Of course they would - and of course we wouldn't.

Although, he'd be a good piece as part of a package. And with Oilers' other forwards, he's a virtual afterthought to him.

I am also in favour of moving Ballard - and Edmonton may actually be a destination that would value him. I could see a smaller trade involving KB4 over Lu going to a division rival.

I'm pretty sure at some point, Steve Tambo spoke to MIke Gillis, as they are pretty close friends, in regards to Luongo in a business stand point. Obviously, MIke Gillis has said in the past, if a trade makes sense he will do it, wether it's a division rival or not, he even offered up Hodgson to Division Rival Colorado for Landaskogg. Anything can happen. For me, I just want Mike Gillis to make the right trade. I don't really give a damn if Luongo ends up to a division rival if a good deal is coming our way. No question about it.

I'm pretty sure at some point, Steve Tambo spoke to MIke Gillis, as they are pretty close friends, in regards to Luongo in a business stand point. Obviously, MIke Gillis has said in the past, if a trade makes sense he will do it, wether it's a division rival or not, he even offered up Hodgson to Division Rival Colorado for Landaskogg. Anything can happen. For me, I just want Mike Gillis to make the right trade. I don't really give a damn if Luongo ends up to a division rival if a good deal is coming our way. No question about it.

MPS and Kassian - both drafted in 09. Both born in 91, MPS in April while Kass in January. Now 3 months is a significant factor in judging age?

As per Kassian for Lecalvalier, it's not exactly a fair comparison. MPS value has sharply dropped, while Lecalvalier's contract has a significantly higher cap hit of 7 mil than Lu's 5.3m.

Archived