The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Im thinking if Phaneuf is coming to Vancouver via Luongo, then it won't be just Luongo, but a package. Maybe something like this

To Vancouver: Dion Phaneuf + Matthew Lombardi

To Toronto: Roberto Luongo + David Booth + Mason Raymond + Chris Tanev + maybe a pick (2nd-4th)

Luongo, Booth, Tanev = Phaneuf

Raymond, pick = Lombardi

Edler - Phaneuf

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Garrison

I only ever comment on goaltending, its what I know. I don;t profess to know about good or bad trades for Lou and don;t pass comment on prospective trades. Goaltending is a numbers game, have never said Lou can;t play or is a backup goalie, just that he has some bad habits that translate into game to game inconsistancies. Had he continued(last season) with Melansons recommendations , he probably would not be on the trading block, but he regressed to Francois allaire teachings which are no longer a fit for Lou. As for Dubnyk, I watched him a few times last season and see a lot of upsides . He was a first round pick for a reason and my opinion had nothing to do with that ! some people obviously saw him as a talent. His SP was only .005 behind Lou. playing on bottom feeding Oilers while Lou was on President Cup winning team. Because I'd pick him over Lou is not a diss on Lou but an endorsement on Dubnyk. I'm willing to bet, of all my critics, not one is a goaltender, goaltender coach or has any real understanding of the position. Teams have goalie coaches because, even NHL coaches don;t understand the science. Its taken me a lot of years to gain my knowledge and a lot many more how to apply it to my students.

While Luongo may have dropped off and Schneider may have had good outings, the sample sizes are just too small to make sweeping projections that Schneider's already better than Luongo. Luongo could bring up his play again after a trade and Schneider could falter under a higher workload. You can't discount how the team was playing in front of each goalie as well.

I'm not saying it won't be the case in future, as it could be, just that we don't know for sure yet. What we do know is Luongo is much more accomplished to this point, and my opinion is he'd handle a tough situation better than Schneider at this point in their careers.

I'd rather keep Schneider, Tanev, Ballard and the 1st than take on Phaneuf and Lombardi - even if it does get us Rielly.

While Luongo may have dropped off and Schneider may have had good outings, the sample sizes are just too small to make sweeping projections that Schneider's already better than Luongo. Luongo could bring up his play again after a trade and Schneider could falter under a higher workload. You can't discount how the team was playing in front of each goalie as well.

I'm not saying it won't be the case in future, as it could be, just that we don't know for sure yet. What we do know is Luongo is much more accomplished to this point, and my opinion is he'd handle a tough situation better than Schneider at this point in their careers.

I don't know why so many want to include Phaneuf, the Leafs captain and one of Burke's poster boys for truculence. C_H_101's proposal earlier is at least not far from what I'd do, but this one takes away the one piece I'd truly like in Rielly and we give up more from our side as well. No thanks to this deal.

Sorry can't let this misinformation pass. Lou is NOT more accomplished than Schneider, Schneiders skill level is much higher than Lou's and his fundamentals are what make him so dependable. I will agree that time will tell how well he does in the longterm but last year he blew away Lou in all stats. Lou has proven that he is not mentally strong in the playoffs, being hot or cold. As for the team playing better in front of Schneider...Schneider directs rebounds better than Lou, seals off the net better,and does less flopping. Lou loses his stick virtually every game, gets pulled once every 11 games. The team plays better because Schneider makes it easier to play in front of. Your post shows you really don;t know what you watch.

You didn't just say that, did you? If so then you have just lost all credibility with that dumb statement. Luongo has an Olympic Gold Medal, multiple Vezina nominations, a Jennings Trophy, and has carried his team to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Out of that list Schneider only has a Jennings.

Archived