The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Your word choices are poor then. Either way, Luongo is still a more proven commodity than anyone we've ever had, and we still have yet to see Schneider play the #1 role. I believe Schneids will be great, but to attempt any disrepute of what Luongo has done for this team is nothing short of stupid.

He's anchored our leap from bad NHL team to perennial contender, and allowed the Sedins and Kesler time to mature into their Current roles.

Your word choices are poor then. Either way, Luongo is still a more proven commodity than anyone we've ever had, and we still have yet to see Schneider play the #1 role. I believe Schneids will be great, but to attempt any disrepute of what Luongo has done for this team is nothing short of stupid.

He's anchored our leap from bad NHL team to perennial contender, and allowed the Sedins and Kesler time to mature into their Current roles.

True, Schneider is now better. The problem is you and King think he is worthless and not a good goalie anymore. The fact is, over half the league would love to have Lu as their started. He still has good value.

All rumors seem to point to TO. Gillis has to get Rielly or Gardiner back in the deal.

Conversely, many rookies also have inflated stats playing on top teams, which in my opinion, is Schneider's case. Put both Luongo and Schneider in Edmonton or Toronto and Luongo comes up on top every single time. We ought to be careful what we wish for. Luongo is proven; Schneider is unproven. See both resumes for factual proof.

If you think we're going to get Morgan Rielly or Jake Gardiner out of Luongo, you are dreaming. Good as he is (Luongo), he's 33 years old, has a shaky reputation, and has 9 years left on his deal which pays him $5.2M per year. Jaroslav Halak, in 2009-10, was 24 years old, went 26-13-5, had 5 SO, a .924 SVP, led his 8th seed Montreal Canadiens to the ECF, and then was only able to yield Lars Eller and Ian Schultz. Please explain to me how Roberto Luongo is going to land Morgan Rielly.

Actually yes he is, maybe you just don't know what more accomplished means.

Luongo: Gold Medal, Proven All-Star, Multiple time Vezina Finalists, Played 60+ Games, a Jennings, 2 President's Trophies (1 As a starter/ 1 as Tandem), Taken a team to the Finals.

Schneider: Had some great regular season games as a back-up/tandem, one playoff Win, a Jennings. 1 Pres Trophy (as a tandem).

Say what you want about who is better right now, Schneids is probably just as good, maybe a tad better in some areas, and I'm a fan of both, but Luongo is definetly the more accomplished of the two, I'm not sure how it's debatable.

You didn't just say that, did you? If so then you have just lost all credibility with that dumb statement. Luongo has an Olympic Gold Medal, multiple Vezina nominations, a Jennings Trophy, and has carried his team to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Out of that list Schneider only has a Jennings.

Without Schneider's 16 wins in 2011, we dont necessarily win the PT now do we? I would say that's a tandem win as well.

Luongo won an Olympic gold medal...on a team complete with superstars! He was good but not the reason that Canada won, barely.

As for Luongo "taking this team to the Final", this bothers me greatly. You make it seem like we were an underdog team who had no business there. We won the PT by a landslide and were favorites to win the Stanley Cup while having a 2-0 and 3-2 lead in that sereis. Luongo did not "take us there" which implies that he got hot and did it all himself (ala Kiprusoff in 2004). No he got lit up by Chicago for a 3rd year in a row, stared down a Nashville team that cant score at the best of times, beat the chokers from San Jose who were injured, and got lit up by Boston 4 out of 7 games.

No, when it comes down to real dollars and cents, Luongo has not accomplished a whole hell of a lot.

When people in this city treat the best goalie this organization has EVER had, this way, it kinda makes me think we don't deserve to have a good team.

I guess some just have an unattainable degree of perfection they are looking for in a goalie. Moronic, really.

Lu could have won those games, and we were so far ahead, it's not like all of those wins were crucial.

He wasn't the sole reason Canada won, niether was Crosby, Niedermayer, Pronger, Toews, Keith or anyone else on the team. The team came together and won as a team. But Lu was good in the tourney, and as the goalie naturally since they won you could say he has a slight edge in importance over some of the other's due to the importance of the position.

You saying that is again is the classic argument we have here "When we win, it's inspite of him, when we lose it's because of him".

Go watch highlights from the playoffs, regardless of how great a team is in the regluar season, you will go nowhere in the playoffs if you don't get the goaltending, and that was no different with our team.

He had 4 shutouts (including 2 in the SCF) and even with the way he got lit up in Boston he still managed to salvage a .914 SV% and a 2.56 GAA overall. 711 Shots against in 25 games (an average of 28.4 a game) and he came through in just as many clutch moments (if not more) than he didn't come through in.

And even with the games he got lit up in, he was still our best player in the finals for sure, that's just a testament to how well he hald us in when we couldn't score. Without him Boston probably would have beaten us in 4 or 5.

And if Luongo hasn't accomplished alot, then by your logic, niether have: Lundqvist, Kiprusoff, Halak, Miller, Howard, Price, Backstrom, Rinne, Smith, Elliot exc. either. Infact Lu has acomplished more than pretty much all of these guys according to your logic.

Considering Schneider's status as a BACKUP goaltender which carries less pressure than a 1G,

Considering Schneider's length of time he has been in the league as a BACKUP versus Luongo's 1G status,

Considering the team plays much more reserved in front of their BACKUP,

Stats regarding Schneider's BACKUP career are skewed while Luongo's are exposed.

Vancouver cannot dispose of the man who virtually single handedly made the Canucks a respectable franchise because some kid comes in and is liked by the CBC.

By that rationale, Hodgson should have been GIVEN the 2C position and/ or Kassian should be GIVEN 1RW.

Give Luongo a 1D and he'll shine beyond recognition. Give Schneider full time duty and the Canucks are no more.

Considering Schneider's status as a BACKUP goaltender which carries less pressure than a 1G,

Considering Schneider's length of time he has been in the league as a BACKUP versus Luongo's 1G status,

Considering the team plays much more reserved in front of their BACKUP,

Stats regarding Schneider's BACKUP career are skewed while Luongo's are exposed.

Vancouver cannot dispose of the man who virtually single handedly made the Canucks a respectable franchise because some kid comes in and is liked by the CBC.

By that rationale, Hodgson should have been GIVEN the 2C position and/ or Kassian should be GIVEN 1RW.

Give Luongo a 1D and he'll shine beyond recognition. Give Schneider full time duty and the Canucks are no more.

Archived