The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

And did you answer my questions? Did you defend your opinions? This is a thread about Lou., not about me teaching you goaltending. You really want to learn, go to a reputable goalie school. You just might be surprised at whats entailed. I'm not defending my position, 43 years of involvement, gives me confidence enough to state what I know.

Smurf47,

You have disappointed me greatly. There, was the chance to legitimize yourself as a connaisseur of the craft. You have failed not only to write the work, you have also failed to respond adequately to my enquiry, as well as proving to me your having been in University.

As far as I am concerned, you lose face, as well as credibility. Of course, you very well know that in University, most professors are tolerant of they who try and subsequently give extensions from time to time. You can always, when you feel inspired, to write this body of work at your leisure so as to let people know you're knowledgeable in the matter discussed.

Unfortunately, such claims as you make concerning personal accomplishments in goaltending without any sources backing up your claim does not merit recognition in any way.

Considering you have failed at delivering said work,

Considering you have proven nothing regarding your claim,

Considering you have dismissed any chance at a legitimate challenge,

I can only regard you as a young fan (not necessarily in age) and therefore, though I will await an elaborate response to my challenge, I will not be responding to your post and/or communicating with you again on this board until you make a mature effort to prove me otherwise.

I'm not one to engage in a piss match. Good luck and farewell.

Smurf47,

You have disappointed me greatly. There, was the chance to legitimize yourself as a connaisseur of the craft. You have failed not only to write the work, you have also failed to respond adequately to my enquiry, as well as proving to me your having been in University.

As far as I am concerned, you lose face, as well as credibility. Of course, you very well know that in University, most professors are tolerant of they who try and subsequently give extensions from time to time. You can always, when you feel inspired, to write this body of work at your leisure so as to let people know you're knowledgeable in the matter discussed.

Unfortunately, such claims as you make concerning personal accomplishments in goaltending without any sources backing up your claim does not merit recognition in any way.

Considering you have failed at delivering said work,

Considering you have proven nothing regarding your claim,

Considering you have dismissed any chance at a legitimate challenge,

I can only regard you as a young fan (not necessarily in age) and therefore, though I will await an elaborate response to my challenge, I will not be responding to your post and/or communicating with you again on this board until you make a mature effort to prove me otherwise.

I'm not one to engage in a piss match. Good luck and farewell.

can't help but post this again

Phaneuf - not going to improve the Canucks blueline - don't care if he has a big shot and throws the odd big hit - he's a highlight reel hockey player who has as many brain cramps as any veteran in the NHL - not to mention that he's yet another left handed / left side guy (who isn't even particularly strong on his strong side imo). Over-rated - very excessive cap hit - only a captain in Lalaleafsland where leadership qualities are as scarce as playoff berths - a part of the reason (like the rest of the Leafs inconsistent, porous blueline) that the Leafs young goaltenders struggle so much - they are young goaltenders that can't really count on the guys in front of them - the inconsistency is entirely predictable given the team in front of them - and it starts from their captain down.

Toronto needs Luongo because they need a guy who can stick his finger in the dyke.

I highly doubt that Gillis would consider taking Phaneuf in return - just a bad fit.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=645327

Of course, lockout or no lockout, fans want to know about your unique goaltending situation. How do you view what is in front of you -- is it an opportunity for the organization or strictly business?

"Well, I look at it in multiple ways. I really like Roberto [Luongo]. I like him as a person. I like him as a goaltender. He's a phenomenal guy, a phenomenally hard-working player, zero maintenance. He is the kind of guy that any team would like to have. If we're going to make a transaction, do anything, it's going to be done so we can improve our team in other ways.

"When you take an All-Star player off your team, you have to do that with a lot of faith that you're improving in different areas. And, you know, I don't see that big of an issue if Roberto is with us. I don't see that as an issue at all. I think he's a true professional and I know he and Cory [schneider] have a great relationship. You know, that may end up being the plan depending on when we get started. I think they would both be fine with it. We're going to do what is best for our hockey team. We're going to make sure we're in the best position to win the Stanley Cup and that may be with both goaltenders."

The only problem with that ^ is that once again, you have a 4 million dollar man playing on your third pairing. Not only that, but even after (theoretically) losing Ballard's salary, you're actually spending more on your defense.

I'm not as down on Phaneuf or MPS as are a lot of people on this board, but I think the Canucks have to look more at areas of need. They don't need another left-shooting defender challenging the top 4 and they don't need another left winger.

This is why myself and oldnews have been touting the Bjugstad-Petrovic deal since day one. It doesn't add to the Cap and it addresses areas of need. (a center with size and a physical right-handed D-Man) It's isn't a case of whether they are beeter or worse prospects that others mentioned, it's just that they fit better into the team's structure.

Now, it may be true that Tallon won't budge on Bjugstad, but I'm not convinced. Just as many of Gillis' detractors are claiming that he's playing it close to the vest, the same could easily be true of Tallon. For that matter, I still believe that Yzerman could be doing the same thing.

I had stayed away from this thread for quite awhile, because I thought the arguments on both sides had become cyclical, but I thought this was a pertinent point.

Archived