The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

I personally would welcome a Phaneuf trade. He can replace Edler as far as I'm concerned. I feel Edler will be pulling an Ehrhoff and there will not be any replacement for him. Edler disappears in the playoff. If the argument for trading Luongo is that he weakens during the playoffs, the same can be said for Edler. If we could add Byfuglien too, our defense would be an absolute power to play against.

Phaneuf - Byfuglien

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garisson - Tanev

Luongo or Schneider

I would welcome a Phaneuf trade. I'm sure he would get inspired playing for a President's Trophy franchise. He's the only defenseman worthy of notice in Toronto. They need a total rebuild and with Reilly, Schneider fits best. A Luongo/ Phaneuf led defense is as good if not better as a Kiprusoff/ Phaneuf led defense, except Vancouver has an excellent supporting cast in Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa and Edler.

This is a win now team. Phaneuf is the type of 1D who will punish the opposition relentlessly if given the chance. In Toronto, he IS the defense; hockey is a team sport and he's alone out there so he's exposed. Take Phaneuf out and put Weber, Suter or Chara in and they'll be exposed too. Phaneuf is young enough to get better with time and the system Vancouver has instilled can only benefit him and his play.

The argument that he's overpaid does not stand as one can argue that many Canucks are indeed overpaid. In fact, most players in the league are overpaid. Does that mean the Canucks shouldn't teade for anyone? No. The player's talent ought to he assessed and salary shouldn't even be discussed by fans; it is a management subject. Fans are about the worst judges of player/ salary value.

A Vancouver team that includes Phaneuf is a much better team than the current defense by committee. Defense by committee doesn't instill fear in the opponent; it only proves Moneyball doesn't work. With defense by committee, there is no anticipation like when Chara or Weber are about to get on the ice. Few in the league have this aura and Phaneuf is one of them.

I would welcome a Phaneuf trade. I'm sure he would get inspired playing for a President's Trophy franchise. He's the only defenseman worthy of notice in Toronto. They need a total rebuild and with Reilly, Schneider fits best. A Luongo/ Phaneuf led defense is as good if not better as a Kiprusoff/ Phaneuf led defense, except Vancouver has an excellent supporting cast in Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa and Edler.

This is a win now team. Phaneuf is the type of 1D who will punish the opposition relentlessly if given the chance. In Toronto, he IS the defense; hockey is a team sport and he's alone out there so he's exposed. Take Phaneuf out and put Weber, Suter or Chara in and they'll be exposed too. Phaneuf is young enough to get better with time and the system Vancouver has instilled can only benefit him and his play.

The argument that he's overpaid does not stand as one can argue that many Canucks are indeed overpaid. In fact, most players in the league are overpaid. Does that mean the Canucks shouldn't teade for anyone? No. The player's talent ought to he assessed and salary shouldn't even be discussed by fans; it is a management subject. Fans are about the worst judges of player/ salary value.

A Vancouver team that includes Phaneuf is a much better team than the current defense by committee. Defense by committee doesn't instill fear in the opponent; it only proves Moneyball doesn't work. With defense by committee, there is no anticipation like when Chara or Weber are about to get on the ice. Few in the league have this aura and Phaneuf is one of them.

1. Chara

2. Weber

3. Campbell

4. Karlsson

5. Phaneuf

12. Edler

28. Bieksa

33. Garisson

Dan Hamhuis does not appear in the top 50 for the 2012-2013 campaign.

Regardless, a league-wide top five defenseman wouldl surely play over anyone currently on the Canucks.

----------------

From NHL.com's top 50 Defensemen:

"Dion Phaneuf always plays the game hard. Every time he throws a check he makes sure you will feel it. Last year, it was 214 of them. Like several other defenders in the league, he is a complete player. He has offensive talent, matched with a tough presence on the blueline."

Phaneuf posted 44 points in Toronto last year. The Leafs were taking huge strides and making a strong push for the playoffs until injuries halted that. Phaneuf and company will look to get back on track and make the playoffs.

1. Chara

2. Weber

3. Campbell

4. Karlsson

5. Phaneuf

12. Edler

28. Bieksa

33. Garisson

Dan Hamhuis does not appear in the top 50 for the 2012-2013 campaign.

Regardless, a league-wide top five defenseman will surely play over anyone currently on the Canucks.

----------------

From NHL.com's top 50 Defensemen:

"Dion Phaneuf always plays the game hard. Every time he throws a check he makes sure you will feel it. Last year, it was 214 of them. Like several other defenders in the league, he is a complete player. He has offensive talent, matched with a tough presence on the blueline."

Phaneuf posted 44 points in Toronto last year. The Leafs were taking huge strides and making a strong push for the playoffs until injuries halted that. Phaneuf and company will look to get back on track and make the playoffs.

1.) If Phaneuf is as good as suggested, then Burke would be overpaying in a major way, no? Most folks would scoff at the idea of Loungo being traded for any other top-2 d-man. Would Burke really trade away a 27 year old guy who is one of the top d-men in the NHL (as is being suggested) in order to plug his net? He would be be gaining a goalie while making his defense that much worse. This just doesn't make much sense to me.

Yes, that would be an overpayment. This is not a rumor with any sort of legs, BTW. This is just someone bringing up Phaneuf as a possibility, which, unsurprisingly, 90% of users on this board think he's not good enough. Oldnews, in fact, said that he'd be the Vancouver Canucks' 5th defenceman. Figure that one out.

Schenn getting skewered is a whole other issue. While you make a fair point about ES points, don't forget that of Schenn's 22 total points, only 2 were goals; 1/6 of Phaneuf's total of 12.

Phaneuf has also been a leader ever since he came into the league; correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there was even a Norris nomination in his rookie year? I will concede that his career hasn't developed to the extent that most thought it would after his unbelievable rookie season, but he is still very, very good, a top-2 defenceman on any team in the NHL and there aren't many D-men that I'd rather have to build my team around, today. Certainly, not even discussion-worthy, a better player than Kevin Bieksa, IMO. Calgary trading him was incredibly stupid, and Sutter instantaneously turned a legitimate Cup contender into a 9th seed in one fell swoop.

BTW, the whole notion of "stat-padding" is laughable. That's really difficult to do in hockey, unlike basketball. You still have to generate goals/points. Just like the Vancouver Canucks didn't "stat-pad" Cody Hodgson before trading him, Toronto hasn't artificially created an offensive defenceman in Phaneuf. Phaneuf gets the PP ice-time that he does because he's proven himself to be productive in that state of the game repeatedly. His huge shot also doesn't hurt.

BTW as well, Franson is already done with the Leafs.

Phaneuf's "leadership skills" have been more of a detriment than a asset. I remember hearing something where his first day as a Maple Leaf he walked into the room and told them to turn off whatever they were listening to because they are going to listen to his music or something to that effect. Phaneuf being named captain he been critiqued constantly. I would not say leadership is one of his strengths, in fact IMO he would likely perform better in Toronto not being captain. Rumour has it he constantly butted heads with Regehr and that's why he got traded in the first place.

I don't really need to list off the career accomplishment comparison again, do I?

And BTW, if Hamhuis "can" put up just as many points as Phaneuf, howcome he never has? Not even once? Is that just the good Christian in him, that wants others to get the points instead?

Archived