The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Lu is still a franchise player. Recently made an all star appearance, Stanley cup finals, Olympic team, Jennings trophy and presidents trophy, etc etc. Lecav is a long time removed from contributing anything worthy of his rediculous contract. Goaltenders are also known to play at a higher level later in to their careers.

No he isn't. Franchise players don't get summarily dumped by relatively unproven backups/young players. I don't think we'd see Chicago trade Jonathan Toews if Marcus Kruger continues to development nicely. Lu is 33 years old and has lost his job to Cory Schneider. He's a good goalie, still high-end, not a franchise player.

Your reasoning is weak, like everyone else's on this issue.

Comparing Shneider-Luongo to Toews-Kruger is a terrible example. First of all, there are 12 forward spots and only two goaltending spots.

A much better example would be the one already mentioned, where the Bruins had decided to go with Tuuka Rask over Tim Thomas...

...a year later, Thomas was by far the biggest factor in the Bruins'Cup final win.

Because we won't have those guys forever. Daniel Sedin is 32 years old. David Booth just isn't that good. Mason Raymond's most likely playing in his last season as a Canuck.

The point is that you should always try and go for the best player available in any trade, and not worry about minor things like "rugged, right-handed defenceman prospect depth". Sorry, I'll take whichever guy will have the most impact on the team. And if that requires further roster movements to accommodate him, so be it.

Tuukka Rask wasn't earning $4M/year like Schneider is now. Big difference.

And BTW, are you saying that you agree with the assertion that Roberto Luongo is a franchise player - today?

Fair enough. My only point in this whole Paajarvi debacle is that he would be the clear target if we were to be orchestrating a trade with Edmonton (which I think is unlikely anyway, but whatever). Who else would there be? No, we're not getting RNH, Yakupov, probably not even Sam Gagner. Probably not even Paajarvi, IMO.

In a trade with Edmonton, who else would you suggest? You want to buy low - Paajarvi's low, so it'd be a good time to buy and take a chance that he'll blossom into something potentially very, very good. If he becomes very good, we make room for him on the roster through other moves.

I don't know who else the target would be from Edmonton, considering what they've got and what they won't give up. Any suggestions?  Before you say Colton Teubert, remember that Edmonton would then be the second team that's traded him since being drafted in '08. AHL numbers for Colton also not promising. Looks like another Komisarek, at best.

I don't post on this board much.  The main reason?

People Like King of E(verything) S(tupid). Can you people not see that his opinion means everything to him.  There is no logic, no reasoning, no material fact that can't be twisted to suit his all important opinion.  

His insecurity leaps off the page and clouds any potential for rational judgement or reasoning.

He can't be objective. There is no perspective except his own.  It's not possible. Please stop feeding his insecurity and let the professionals do their job.  Maybe then these posts won't get hijacked into the world according to King of E(go) S(entric).   Man I'm tired of the drivel.

PS: I know sentric is spelled centric.  (Thanks King)

Thank you

Archived