The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

You are not wrong; but Reilly could easily be the center piece return. Connolly is not just a cap dump, he is UFA soon so not even a semblence of value. We do not want him; even Leaf forums are not proposing him with any seriousness. We would take Reilly straight up, but we also know Burke has a lot invested in him (claimed they would have taken him first overall).

So replace Connolly with Bozak and Reilly with both Gardiner (because if Reilly is that good, they keep him but Gardiner becomes expendable) and Colburne. We posture that we'll take on Connolly if they add Kadri as well, they knock it back, keep Bozak and accept as is; Colburne and Gardiner.

See what we did there? Used Burkie's own B.S. against him to get what we wanted in the first place! And considering their cap after next year, they still have veterans, their own top prospect in every position (save Colburne, but he's a mid calibre prospect anyway) and a bundle of money to spend in 2013/14. It would be a good deal for them.

And FTR; that's what Lou should be worth as soon as guys stop posturing that his contract is a detriment, when they in fact need him...

File these in the severe overpayment folder.

Apparently Reilly has already succeeded Gardiner as the next premature god-send from Lalaland.

Lol at those still in denial that if the Canucks move a goaltender, it will be Luo.

Different league all together;

Lecavalier is owed $10 mill each real dollars for the next 4 years, then $8.5, then in year 6 from now he descends to $4.5 mill. Thats as much real money owed in the next 5 years as Lou is owed in ten.

Lou is a bargain by comparison, also a $2.3 mill lower cap hit and playing better. You would be an idiot to take on Vinny.

Yeah, and does that sound like anybody else familiar?

Like, someone that we're perhaps trying to move?

Different league all together;

Lecavalier is owed $10 mill each real dollars for the next 4 years, then $8.5, then in year 6 from now he descends to $4.5 mill. Thats as much real money owed in the next 5 years as Lou is owed in ten.

Lou is a bargain by comparison, also a $2.3 mill lower cap hit and playing better. You would be an idiot to take on Vinny.

Sure Schneider has more trade value.

But he also has more value to us...

Lou may or may not have "demanded" a trade but it's his pretty clear preference. While he may not be as divisive about it as Bure was; an un-emotionally committed goalie (especially considering a tendency to have mental breakdowns as his only real weakness) leaves us clearly preferring Schneids.

After the playoffs, he said he wouldn't block a trade considering the goaltending situation and later during an interview he said he though it was time to move on. Some have jumped to the conclusion that it means he's demanded a trade, which is not the case.

I think, if the right deal came along for Schneider, Luongo would consider staying. Obviously all that would have to be cleared up before putting pen to paper on a trade involving Schneider, but Luongo is still the goalie most likely to be moved at this point.

I'd say Schneider has more value in a trade than Luongo, even though he's not proven as a starter quite yet. I've already mentioned above how I think it's possible, but unless a deal comes along where we're given a too-good-to-refuse offer, then Luongo has the much greater chance of being the goalie that's moved.

You mention Rielly straight up, and Murray has also been mentioned, but I'd only consider a couple of D-men straight up for Schneider. Someone like Adam Larsson or Dougie Hamilton would be an easy choice, but I'd wonder if even New Jersey would consider it despite their need for a future star goalie. Some other secondary options could be Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Brandon Gormley or Erik Gundbranson but I think Gillis would only make a straight up deal for a big right handed D-man (assuming he feels we can keep Edler).

There are similar forward prospects that could garner a straight up deal, but we're more likely to be able to get a lesser package out of a Luongo deal than pick up someone of the calibre we'd want to get back in a Schneider deal.

VL has one of the worst contracts in hockey, right up there close to Gomez' ridiculous contract. VL's vastly overpaid, he's owed 52+ mill over the next 6 seasons. No freaking way MG takes on that contract. Giving away Luongo in the process is a boneheaded proposition no one in their right mind would do that.

LOL; quoting myself... :rolleyes:

Really just an edit;

Or justifying my position; Gardiner and Colburne as a return is fair? Gardiner is a very good young player, but not a franchise player nor likely to evolve in to one. Akin to giving up Hodgson or Kassian, still a productive NHL lock. He does have skills that will help our team (puck carrying D). Colburne is the prospect to balance the fact they are getting the better player. And Colburne is also, as pointed out earlier, a mid grade not top shelf prospect. A good deal for the Leafs.

:canucks:

You are not wrong; but Reilly could easily be the center piece return. Connolly is not just a cap dump, he is UFA soon so not even a semblence of value. We do not want him; even Leaf forums are not proposing him with any seriousness. We would take Reilly straight up, but we also know Burke has a lot invested in him (claimed they would have taken him first overall).

So replace Connolly with Bozak and Reilly with both Gardiner (because if Reilly is that good, they keep him but Gardiner becomes expendable) and Colburne. We posture that we'll take on Connolly if they add Kadri as well, they knock it back, keep Bozak and accept as is; Colburne and Gardiner.

See what we did there? Used Burkie's own B.S. against him to get what we wanted in the first place! And considering their cap after next year, they still have veterans, their own top prospect in every position (save Colburne, but he's a mid calibre prospect anyway) and a bundle of money to spend in 2013/14. It would be a good deal for them.

And FTR; that's what Lou should be worth as soon as guys stop posturing that his contract is a detriment, when they in fact need him...

You're not paying attention to what's going on. I've not advocated for Vancouver to acquire Lecavalier. I'm raising a point about the contradiction of how CDCers scoff at trading Luongo for "only" Paajarvi, while they're simultaneously aghast at the notion of trading Zack Kassian for Vincent Lecavalier. That's the whole point of this discussion.

That "mediocre 2nd liner" has accomplished a lot more than Luongo has. 4X All-Star, Stanley Cup, Rocket Richard, King Clancy.

In addition, in terms of marketability, there are 60 top-six center spots, and only 30 starting goalie spots. So the demand for Lecavalier probably would be a lot higher than what it currently is for Luongo.

After the playoffs, he said he wouldn't block a trade considering the goaltending situation and later during an interview he said he though it was time to move on. Some have jumped to the conclusion that it means he's demanded a trade, which is not the case.

I think, if the right deal came along for Schneider, Luongo would consider staying. Obviously all that would have to be cleared up before putting pen to paper on a trade involving Schneider, but Luongo is still the goalie most likely to be moved at this point.

Like I mentioned earlier, for what Luongo brings to the table now, his cap hit is quite low compared to his contemporaries. There is some fear that he could decline to a point where he is overpaid, especially later in his contract.

Lecavalier is ALREADY overpaid - by a large margin (27% higher cap hit than Lu). His game has shown more decline than Lu's thus far, and as a skater, he's less likely to stay a quality top-6 center over the next 3-5 years than Luongo is likely to still be a quality starting goalie.

And finally, as has been pointed out many times, Luongo is not being shopped because he's a poor goalie, or because his cap hit is too high. It's because another player has come along who is even better, and there isn't room for both as starters. Whereas Tampa would jump at the chance to unload Vinny's contract, and worry about the hole at 2C later.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you because I do agree with you most of the time and respect your posts and opinon but It has been reported numorous times that indeed he has.

http://vansunsportsb...-hear-about-it/

http://aol.sportingn...nto-maple-leafs

There's even a thread here about it.

/topic/328926-report-luongo-requests-a-trade-during-exit-meeting-with-gillis/">http://forum.canucks...ng-with-gillis/

Archived