The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Speak in absolute terms if you will. Fortunately, outside of a few fanatics, it's business as usual and business dictates weighing all options. If there is a deal for Schneider then it's a deal for Schneider. If it's a deal for Luongo then it's a deal for Luongo. If both are staying then both are staying.

Blame Luongo all you want and unquestionably praise the one whose deeds are few if you will. Individualizing you anger and hurting perhaps the only man who could bring you absolute joy as a Canucks fan, winning a Cup assures this team cannot succeed. You chose the road of unconditional hate while expecting success.

Careful what you wish for, might weigh options instead of running blindly into a wall.

Honestly, that Cup wasn't for us. WE were the sideshow. A city full of some of the hungriest fans in the World gelled together to create a spirit of appartenance and thanks to CBC and Don Cherry, even Canada rooted for them. The Canucks were as isolated as the city is.

If you're going to blame Luongo for whatever, make sure you pass the blame to Burrows, Rome, Kesler and Hamhuis for their own reasons too.

As for last years against L.A. if you cannot see a 16-4 run speaking for itself, then you are indeed entirely blind to reality.

D-Mo is making point after point about Lecavalier's decline, and the fact that it'll likely get worse.

That being the case, it is reasonable for me to counter with the notion that it is likely Luongo will also get worse - like he has been since 2007, what appears to have been his peak. You bring up Martin Brodeur as an example - playoffs notwithstanding, his year was not good. Nor was last year.

That has nothing to do with your suggestion that D-Mo thinks Luongo is "ascending."

Yes, I did bring up Brodeur as an example - and would add that New Jersey just signed the 40 year old to another two year contract. I also brought up Roloson and a handful of other examples.

I didn't quite catch your response to the question of old top 6 centers.

As I have said at other times, I do not hate Luongo, I have just had it with him and his annually pedestrian playoff performances, especially now that we have a seemingly stronger alternative (Schneider). It also doesn't help my personal opinion of him when so many posters here tout him as some sort of goaltending God when he's accomplished very little of real significance, NHL speaking. His tires are pumped by many.

I blame Luongo for being the highest paid and most important player on the team while he turns in very underwhelming performances at the most important times. The other guys you mentioned may not always be great either but they also dont carry the burden of being the most arrogant player, highest paid, and goaltender.

Last year's playoffs against LA, I saw Luongo turn in good to average regular season performances. I saw Schneider turn in elite playoff performances.

Once again, I dont hate Luongo, I'm just weary of seeing the same thing from him year after year.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you because I do agree with you most of the time and respect your posts and opinon but It has been reported numorous times that indeed he has.

http://vansunsportsb...-hear-about-it/

http://aol.sportingn...nto-maple-leafs

There's even a thread here about it.

/topic/328926-report-luongo-requests-a-trade-during-exit-meeting-with-gillis/">http://forum.canucks...ng-with-gillis/

To me Luongo would prefer leaving, there have been reports, and even though reports like this aren't a sure thing by anymeans, there is still more behind it that just pure speculation.

But I do think there's no way we can keep him instead of Cory, unless the deal is just such a big overpayment that you would have to do it. He is in so much turmoil with alot/most of the fan base (Both Casual and invested fans), and adding the fact that Cory is already about the same calibre goalie only makes things worse in that respect, and for Cory overall aswell.

I'm a huge Luongo fan like you (I assume), and I do agree that he still likes the city & would be willing to stay if we don't get the deal done right away but even if he hasn't requested a trade and those reports are wrong, I still do believe he would rather move than stay here long term.

Archived