The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

I don't have a problem for the most part with how Gillis handled the situation - as I already said, the only thing disagreed with was the notion that there was a pump and dump strategy - I think it's management and the coaching staff's job to pump up their players regardless - and the Canucks did a good job of playing Hodgson to his strengths in situations and to an extent that he could handle and excel in. People got extremely carried away thinking that translated into a player who was already prepared to take veteran's minutes, carry the team and reserve himself the next captaincy. The Province's hype campaign grossly over did it, to say the least - partly because they lack actual hockey perspective, and evidently they bought some of Winters' sales kick touting his rookie in a class with Stamkos. The whole thing spun into a circus of over-reaction - equal and opposite to the initial nonsense.

I think you are ignoring the role that Hodgson's agent played in the whole affair - complaining through, complaining about and manipulating media. Gallagher, for example, was an easy and eager messenger boy, while PITB Daniel Wagner a scapegoat. Read Winters' article if you haven't already.

Kassian wasn't acquired to be a "monster" in last year's playoffs. Gillis very clearly and unambiguously described him as a player who needed development - anyone who expected that wasn't looking realistically at the context, and anyone who expected Hodgson to be were also expecting too much, and not realizing how challenging his matchups would have been - and even moreso given the hobbled top two lines. The half-empty crowd loves to make the red herrring claim that Kassian was benched or press boxed - in reality, he suffered a shoulder injury against Anaheim with two games remaining in the season, missed the last two games, returned to play injured in the playoffs, playing only 4 minutes a game as a result, and couldn't really play the physical game needed. Bottom line - no rookie was going to subsidize a Cup run without the top two lines being effective.

How about this?

Luongo and Hodgson to Toronto :bigblush:

Myers and Frattin to Vancouver

Grabovski, Gardiner, and Connauton to Buffalo

I live in metro Australia, not Vancouver or Toronto. How good a prospect is Biggs?

Seems light on value as Bozak is a rental unless Biggs is spectacular. Has the right profile; pretty big right wing which (even with Kass) remains perhaps our biggest need...

I guess everyone vs King on the injured thing is over, I find it funny how he never replied to anything that proved he was completley wrong, oh well.

My Proposal:

Luongo for Bozak + Biggs + 2nd

LOL Toronto fans would love that; until it panned out. Guys like Hodgson, are only good with a lot of hard nut or glue guys also in the mix; because as talented as he is he wins NO physical battles. Guys like him will ultimately score game winners and control the puck; but the competitiveness comes elsewhere. Toronto cannot give up Grabovski and replace him with CoHo for that reason, he is a competitive player. They would need to retain Grabo to make that work. Really trading is dangerous for Toronto; they actually have very little I reckon they can afford to give up; the real reason Burkie has not pulled the trigger on Lou.

Hey Gollumpus; did Vancouver actually give up a player in that deal, or are you backdating and wanting more from the Hodgson trade???

:rolleyes:

But old subject; my memory was that Gillis commented about Kassian really being about futures well after the trade itself? On the day, and I am out of town so (?), all I recall was it was about putting some "balance" in the line up. My take was that if it was Steve Ott I would have been happy.

But Kassian will be a Steve Ott type guy...

LOL Toronto fans would love that; until it panned out. Guys like Hodgson, are only good with a lot of hard nut or glue guys also in the mix; because as talented as he is he wins NO physical battles. Guys like him will ultimately score game winners and control the puck; but the competitiveness comes elsewhere. Toronto cannot give up Grabovski and replace him with CoHo for that reason, he is a competitive player. They would need to retain Grabo to make that work. Really trading is dangerous for Toronto; they actually have very little I reckon they can afford to give up; the real reason Burkie has not pulled the trigger on Lou.

It surprises me that Canuck fans - of all fans - bring up the fact that Hodgson's not going to be winning a lot of physical battles. How do the Sedin's do in physical battles? And what exactly is a "hard nut" glue guy?

And saying that Cody is "not a competitive player" is total BS. Not being overly emotional on the ice does not mean that you're not competitive. You don't win the CHL Player of the Year award if you have motivation issues. You don't train with G. Roberts, and adhere to his very strict diet year-round, if you have motivation issues. Heck, you don't complain about your ice time if you have motivation issues!

I actually think that this is the most highly motivated kid that's come around for some time, certainly to this organization, anyway.

She's pretty talented. She's got a great set of stats.

Yeah, I don't get why the Sedins get such a soft reputation. They engage in all sorts of physical battles for the puck, but they won't mix it up after the whistle. The number of 1 on 1 battles they win by gaining body position and protecting the puck is astonishing. Guys know the only way to get the puck from a Sedin is to paste them, so they are targeted pretty hard, and still manage to produce a ton of points. There are A LOT more top players that are softer then the Sedins.

Here's a report pre-draft from the HockeyWriters.

He is a bit different than Kassian in my opinion, he is more comparable to Brown in my mind as aposed to Kassian who has a more comparable style to Bertuzzi/Lucic IMO. He seems to have a strong two way game, with maybe a little bit less pure nastyness than Kass, even though he is still a nasty player.

And he currently has 12 goals, 25 Points in 26 Games for Oshawa. So his offensive ability isn't quite the concern they expressed in that article IMO.

Archived