The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Where did I say he was not competitive? I said"as talented as he is he wins NO physical battles." Even Raymond has speed.

Hodgson's strength was his talent, vision and hockey sense. But the Twins are a great example. They play great when they have a glue guy; you may have heard of Burrows? And they are also a fair sight feistier than Hodgson has displayed. Marvels of core strength actually, holding guys on their back who are 30 lbs heavier, cycling the puck and then displaying talent at a high level when opponents are puffed but they are not. And they STILL need a glue guy who is even faster and nastier than them. Hodgson, who probably may develop that level (as you are right he found it in junior); but will always need guys with more size and athleticism than him on his line.

It surprises me that Canuck fans - of all fans - bring up the fact that Hodgson's not going to be winning a lot of physical battles. How do the Sedin's do in physical battles? And what exactly is a "hard nut" glue guy?

And saying that Cody is "not a competitive player" is total BS. Not being overly emotional on the ice does not mean that you're not competitive. You don't win the CHL Player of the Year award if you have motivation issues. You don't train with G. Roberts, and adhere to his very strict diet year-round, if you have motivation issues. Heck, you don't complain about your ice time if you have motivation issues!

I actually think that this is the most highly motivated kid that's come around for some time, certainly to this organization, anyway.

Hey thanks for that!

To me Brown is Burrows plus twenty pounds which pretty much makes a wrecking ball. Meh; maybe Burrows has a tad better scoring touch. I'd be thrilled any day to have a 22knd pick (ours or someone elses) turn into Burrows with 20 extra pounds of freight. And Bigg's is Brown's size now at 19; wait till he fills out... :)

Still debatable whether BB can afford to trade a good prospect. But he's working so hard at trying to fleece someone, "I wouldn't trade Schenn for ten first round pics." Maybe he'll get confused again?

:bigblush:

He does have a habit of winning or losing in a big way on deals...

Here's a report pre-draft from the HockeyWriters.

He is a bit different than Kassian in my opinion, he is more comparable to Brown in my mind as aposed to Kassian who has a more comparable style to Bertuzzi/Lucic IMO. He seems to have a strong two way game and high compete level & good offensive ability, with maybe a little bit less pure nastyness than Kass, even though he is still a nasty player.

And he currently has 12 goals, 25 Points in 26 Games for Oshawa. So his offensive ability isn't quite the concern they expressed in that article IMO.

Hardy har har....King. Really? If the Sedins aren't among the best in the world at cycling the puck, who is? Simply because they don't drop the gloves or throw a lot of body checks does not mean they don't win physical battles. It surprises me that a Canucks fan of all fans would be oblivious to this. They are deceivingly strong, they are extremely fit, and they are very difficult to move off the puck. They win physical battles - the majority of them - or they simply wouldn't be such outstanding players on the boards - which is where cycling takes place KIng.

You've got to ask yourself why Toronto would want to trade him. Quietly, the Leafs have accummulated quite a few young 1st rounders (JVR, Gardiner, Colbourne, Ashton, Kadri, Rielly, Biggs), so it looks like they're finally realizing that the proper way to rebuild is through a complete blow-up, rather than patchwork (Beauchemin, Komisarek, etc.) in hopes of sneaking their way into the playoffs and getting hot.

Here's a scenario, though; CBA gets signed, season starts December 15th. Game 1: Toronto in Vancouver. Lou vs. Schneider?

:bigblush:

Their cycling prowess is a result of their skill, not their physicality. They hang on to the puck and dump it off right before they're about to get hit, which is typically not much of a hit at all, because they wisely face the boards as much as they can, which makes defenders think twice about hitting them, as it exposes them to a hitting from behind penalty.

Their cycling prowess is a result of their skill, not their physicality. They hang on to the puck and dump it off right before they're about to get hit, which is typically not much of a hit at all, because they wisely face the boards as much as they can, which makes defenders think twice about hitting them, as it exposes them to a hitting from behind penalty.

He questioned his competitiveness, which is related to motivation. The people who are the most competitive are typically the people who are the most highly motivated.

Although oldnews posted a great post a few pages ago explaining the situation, I believe Kesler's ego is immensely bigger then the team. With Kesler's super defensive abilities, Hodgson could have easily taken the 2C position while Kesler stopped the greats of the game from the third line. His $5.000 MIL/ yr salary would have been more then worth it.

You've got to ask yourself why Toronto would want to trade him. Quietly, the Leafs have accummulated quite a few young 1st rounders (JVR, Gardiner, Colbourne, Ashton, Kadri, Rielly, Biggs), so it looks like they're finally realizing that the proper way to rebuild is through a complete blow-up, rather than patchwork (Beauchemin, Komisarek, etc.) in hopes of sneaking their way into the playoffs and getting hot.

I am quite entertained by many of the Toronto fans who act like they would be doing us a favour by taking Luongo off our hands and how they really don't want him unless we also take some of their bad contracts off their hands.

Yet, for a player who they keep saying is a bad deal, they just can't seem to shut up about it... nor can their beat writers. They act like they are owed Luongo somehow. If he isn't a good player, and he is on a bad deal... why keep beating on the drum for more than 6 months about it, including when there is a ban on trades?

I know Canucks fans don't seem to write tens of thousands of posts about trades they DON'T want to make!

Nope!

I questioned his physical ability to win battles. He is neither particularly big, nor explosive, nor fast; which makes winning battles tough. He does have great stamina and conditioning allowing execution of skills which others have trouble doing when winded. He then scores at the end of shifts. And Old News actually quoted what I would have said almost perfectly in pairing him with guys like Hansen and Higgins.

I actually applaud his motivation. I guess he was grumbling (pretty hard) in the background. But in the public he never took the bait and did not lash out at AV for dumb comments, nor call out the team for their handling his injuries. By public view he was taking the high road, a reason I liked him. Then coming off injury he joined his buddies training with Gary Roberts, came to camp in superb shape and was turning in a breakout season. And, perhaps misguidedly, he also had the balls to be asking for time from a Selke guy. Motivation is not his problem. Over motivated might be (which if he works hard enough will rectify itself).

Please do not mis quote me; superb shape still does not mean you have elite athletic skills. If he keeps training he can develop more explosiveness; which wins puck battles regardless of size. But I really don't think you can say that he does at this point? Nor did I ever say he was soft as butter, ala Wellwood. I even agreed with you about factors on his trade?

But again, like the Sedin's, CoHo's fitness level allows him many skills. He can puck handle and pass with guys draped on him, the shift of body movement and control so guys don't hit him square or knock him off the puck, body positioning to protect pucks and he is one of few players that has a deft touch passing, but also a cannon for wrist and slap shots!

I just evaluate what he offers; good and bad.

He questioned his competitiveness, which is related to motivation. The people who are the most competitive are typically the people who are the most highly motivated.

Archived