The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

I am quite entertained by many of the Toronto fans who act like they would be doing us a favour by taking Luongo off our hands and how they really don't want him unless we also take some of their bad contracts off their hands.

Yet, for a player who they keep saying is a bad deal, they just can't seem to shut up about it... nor can their beat writers. They act like they are owed Luongo somehow. If he isn't a good player, and he is on a bad deal... why keep beating on the drum for more than 6 months about it, including when there is a ban on trades?

I know Canucks fans don't seem to write tens of thousands of posts about trades they DON'T want to make!

I understand that you believe what you want to regardless of the reality. Luongo was asked about this when he was interviewed just before scheduled training camp, as was Schneider.

They both said basically the same thing.... they are huge supporters of each other and they can find a way to make it work until a deal gets done.

So if I'm not dealing with reality, would you please explain how Luongo's value will be higher in June of 2013, as a 34 year-old fresh off his first season as Cory Schneider's backup, then what it is today?

And BTW, another thing that Luongo said, when he arrived in August, was that he did not expect to be back here. To me, that sounds like a subtle poke to the GM.

"Needs" is debatable. Reimer almost got them into the playoffs in 2011, practically single-handedly. If they have any belief in him all, still, it wouldn't make much sense to acquire Luongo. At 24 years old, it's reasonable to think that they might instead want to try and develop him.

If they've lost faith in him, then, yes, it would stand to reason that they'd need another goaltender. But I'm not sure that there's a lot of evidence to suggest that that's what they've done.

How will it be a distraction? It has been posted before that Luongo is a team player and is good friends with Schneider and the rest of the team. What if Schneider starts to crumble and Luongo comes in and dominates? Again, there is nothing wrong with keeping bot h goalies if we can't find a good deal for Lu.

Archived