The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Supply/demand is always the key factor. As has been pointed out numerous times, there are very few teams that would be interested in making a goaltending change, at all, let alone one where they'd be acquiring a guy who's pretty old, has 9 years left on his deal, and a shaky reputation. Acquiring Roberto Luongo sets a franchise in a totally different direction. 9 year commitment. Pretty big money.

The only trouble with this analogy is that everyone has seen how this car (Luongo) performs on the highway (playoffs). He's very good in town (regular season) but everytime you want to go for a lengthy trip in the springtime this car breaks down and everybody watches you ride home on the bus while your 5.33 million dollar car is hooked to a tow truck.

Not too many people would break down your door to buy that from you.

The most realistic trading partner for Vancouver to me is Toronto, but the more games that get cancelled the less chance are that they would take him. If they play a 50 game schedule I do not see any team wanting to trade for a goalie who often needs 25 games before he finds his groove, and while the Canucks were in a position to ride it out over a 82 game schedule and could win some games even if Lu was not playing great to start the season, most teams and especially Toronto do not have the luxury of overcoming average/below average NHL goaltending for 1/2 a season.

The only trouble with this analogy is that everyone has seen how this car (Luongo) performs on the highway (playoffs). He's very good in town (regular season) but everytime you want to go for a lengthy trip in the springtime this car breaks down and everybody watches you ride home on the bus while your 5.33 million dollar car is hooked to a tow truck.

Not too many people would break down your door to buy that from you.

If nobody wants him, what's the alternative? Will people all of a sudden want him if he's sitting on our bench? Unlikely.

For a guy who always places so much emphasis on "speaking for others", I'm a bit surprised that you're so convinced that teams like the Leafs want him so badly. And you still appear to not have the ability to consider any scenarios besides the best-case one.

He had a great 2010-11 reg season...point made.....but you are lumping his best year ever with a very mediocre season to improve the overall numbers ! Lou did not utilize the style in 2010-11 playoffs and was very hot...and very cold...which translate into what I've been saying....inconsistancy. Had Lou stayed with what Rollie Melanson preached....he may have repeated the 2010-11 season. He did not and it was clearly evident that he was not as good. ...Last year Lou was about 9 games over .500 and nothing near as good as Schneider...playing for the same team

Nice try ...but no cigar pal.

Just try the facts instead Smurf - Luongo was 31-14 - exactly 17 games over .500.

And .919 was exactly the same as his lifetime mark.

No need to lump seasons.

Whether Schneider was better is irrelevant. We are comparing Luongo past to Luongo present here.

Nice try.

Smurf_king.jpg

Your point was that he isn't the goalie he used to be. Point failed.

"Lou has a had a great career..but hes not the goalie he was and i don;t believe he will fetch what a lot of fans believe hes worth"

That was the point of looking at his last two seasons Smurf.

38-15, 31-14, .928, .919... makes no difference.

Neither of them fall below his lifetime average.

No matter how you spin it 31-14 does not equal 9.

Suggesting that Luongo's best career season was two years ago really contradicts your point that he's not the goalie he used to be.

So, obviously, your point failed, and you are trying to wiggle your claim.

Yeah i know - Luongo has had 4 or 5 playoff breakdowns. People love to remember the bad games he has had against Chicago and Boston. They forget the four shutouts he had on route to that game 7 loss of the SCF. His lifetime .916 playoff sv% is 3 one thousandths off his regular season lifetime mark (half of those seasons were played behind the Islanders and Panthers) and 3 one thousanths off Martin Brodeurs's lifetime playoff mark (who, by the way, was playing behind the trapping NJD, and Scott Stevens, et al.) Luongo's worst playoff years were a 6 and 6 year with a .895 sv%, and last years 0-2 with a .891. Brodeur has had a 3-4 with an .856 sv%, a 1-4 with .881, another 1-4 with .891. He lost a game 7 of SCF and had a .897 mark that year. Doesn't really qualify your highway analogy does it. People here are pretty nearsighted. I suppose you wouldn't want to take Brodeur out on the highway either? Give Luongo 17 playoffs seasons with teams like the Devils had and he'd get-er-done a few times as well. I personally will never blame Luongo for the loss in game 7 - the Canucks imo simply weren't good/deep enough to beat Boston without Hamhius (and Rome) in the lineup. One more win however and Luongo's playoff stereotype would have swung wildly in the absolute opposite direction among fickle Canucks fans.

Sometimes I wish this fan base could have another taste of what truly awful goaltending looks like.

Did you see the Philly / Pittsburgh series last playoffs by any chance? Bryzgalov matched Luongo's lifetime worth of breakdowns in one single series. Fleury, not exactly a terrible goaltender (and a SC champion and Olympian), likewise, was absolutely, inexplicably horrible. It happens.

People here protest too much.

And I did say 2010=11 was his best year, not only from a statisical point but from a technical point. Melanson reinvented his game, but, last season, Lou reverted to the Allaire school. It proved to be less effective than the season before. If Lou was smart enough to recognize that Melanson was on point...no one, not even me would be dissing him now. again, I'll say (read early posts) he needs to fix whats broken, or he will not rebound in form. No pack peddaling here !! Lou lacks consistancy, when under pressure on a game to game basis...hes stellar, or lousy !!

So when you were saying he isn't the goaltender he was, you meant he isn't the goalie he was last year?

I don't entirely agree with you. I still think Luongo played more deeply in his net last year than he had in the past, particularly when the opposition has possession in Vancouver's zone. I think Luongo reverted slightly - he didn't play as consistently deep as Melanson seemed to have him the year before, left his net and challenged slightly more (as he had in the past)) particularly on the rush, but I think he was looking for more of a balance/hybrid - and he also simply wasn't playing as much - as Schneider earned and got more starts than the year before, something that doesn't seem to suit Luongo's game. You can argue that Melanson improved his game, but he had a .931 sv % in a season in Florida, and in 2006/7 he may not have posted his best sv %, but was probably as dominant as ever, particularly when the playoffs rolled around.

There are things that frustrate me about his game - I agree that he over-reacts at times, gets himself out of position when he doesn't necessarily have to, and gives himself no real chance to recover on some plays (things I conversely love about Schneider's to this point - his technical efficiency and poise). But as sting pointed out, if you watch any goaltender over a long enough period of time, they all have vulnerabilities, tendencies, bad games, periods of inconsistency... Imo Luongo is better and more consistent than he gets credit for. I get somewhat annoyed by the tendency in Vancouver to never stop complaining, where nothing is ever good enough, where the irony of the sense of entitlement to a Cup is undermined by such fickle loyalty.

Except if the only car you've ever had is a plymouth reliant (Toronto) then your thrilled with the thought of a owning a car that could even make it to the highway without breaking down, especially knowing you've had the cash for so long its time to make a purchase. Or perhaps the car is a classic, say a 69 corvette that you had when you were younger. You know it will never reach its peak performance again, but bringing it back has a lot of sentimental value (Florida). B)

Good points ! I was thrilled for Lou in 2010-11 as he was playing great. Its anyones guess as to why he would abandon a system that was so effeictive . Hes been a great ambassodor for the team. great with the community, a team player and I think handled things pretty well. No one wants to see a guy like that fail. I;m not as anti Luongo as people might think, more pro schneider. I believe Schneiders game will stand up to anything thrown at him. His fundamentals are solid and ingrained in his gam e., He will have his share of poor outings but his game is as good as it gets. Getting back to Lou and goaltenders in general, consistancy, on a game to game basis is much more desirable that a hot and cold goalie. Lou is more a reflex goalie and thats hard to maintain game to game. He has been amazing and the next game or period he gets you shaking your head. I don;t believe his style these days instills a lot of confidence in the team.

Archived