The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

And I'm not saying Lou wasn;t great, what I did do was compare Dubnyk to Luongo LAST season, and they were comparable or close. Putting Dubnyk on the Canucks, and Lou on the Oilers would change both goalies numbers dramatically. Surely you agree that would or could be the case? Dubnyk is a victim of his non performing Oilers !

I actually like Dubnyk, and I have watched him a lot, but I don't think he is better than Lu. Lu may have had an off year #'s wise last year, but Luongo has the ability to dominate, and that is not robbed from him in one year.

Luongo is better looking, and if I were a girl I would let him take me out for spaghetti. Dubnyk would have to stay in the friend zone.

Come on, Dubnyk isn't and will never be as good as Lu, I can appreciate your goaltending experience but you lose everyone when you compare the 2.

Lu made the All Star team and was nominated for the Vezina and Pearson at the age of 24 while playing for the Panthers. Dubnyk, at 26, isn't even top 30 in the league.

You make good points and then lose everyone with stupid points. We all get it, you don't like Lu technically and I agree Schneids is better but you don't give Lu enough credit. He is still a very good goaltender. According to your rationale, Yzerman should have called up Dubnyk to backstop the 2010 gold medal team. A lot if elite coaching minds chose Lu over every other Canadian goaltender.

"Needs" is debatable. Reimer almost got them into the playoffs in 2011, practically single-handedly. If they have any belief in him all, still, it wouldn't make much sense to acquire Luongo. At 24 years old, it's reasonable to think that they might instead want to try and develop him.

If they've lost faith...it would stand to reason that they'd need another goaltender. But I'm not sure that there's a lot of evidence to suggest that.

I don't think this is a fair assessment of Luongo. He is an elite goaltender and is most likely going to rebound when play resumes. There is no reason to trade either goaltender right now and they're both going to play rather equal games. I don't think the Canucks would venture in disrespecting a player whose star factor rivals that of the best in the game.

Schneider can warm the bench as much if not more than Luongo and sit on his $4.000 MIL a yr salary. I'm pretty sure he won't be complaining.

Stop sounding so vindictive against one of the greatest athlete to suit up for a Vancouver franchise. It is not the Detroit way. Dominik Hasek won his first Cup at age 37 and for most of his tenure in Detroit, he had some very good competition going. Of course, Detroit had a 1D in Lidstrom and one of the greatest captain in history in Yzerman. But I guess Edler and Henrik will get to their status huh?

As I said; goaltending is the least of Vancouver's problem right now. Top notch defense, scoring and sandpaper grit are the problems.

Schneider for Campbell? I'm taking it.

Schneider for Phaneuf? I'm taking it.

Wait until Weber is again available? Definitely.

OK, but "veteran" could mean a lot of things. It could mean Vokoun, Nabokov, Khabibulin, Roloson, etc. Or, it could mean Luongo. Who knows?

Scrivens, though, is an undrafted guy who's played 12 NHL games. Good as he's been in the AHL, too, he's only played 83 games there and he's in his 3rd season with the team. Totally unproven, unlike Reimer, who's had success in the NHL and (at least) was a mid-level draft pick. So it would stand to reason that given Reimer's questionable health and Scrivens' inexperience, of course they'd like to add another goalie. But you've gotta think that they'd not be that interested in Luongo unless they've completely given up on Reimer, who's 24 years old. It's possible that they have, I have no idea. Time will tell.

What "veteran" means was not the issue.

You were arguing that the Leafs need is "debatable".

Apparently the first few lines of the article I posted indicate that they disagree with you...

"Toronto Maple Leafs senior vice president of hockey operations David Nonis would be surprised if James Reimer and Ben Scrivens were the team’s two goalies next season.

It has been confirmed by Leafs’ management that they will look to add a veteran goaltender in the off-season."

Actually it will also improve if a team is struggling nearly the deadline, with there playoff picture in the balance and jobs at stake, obviously a slow start wouldn't put them in panic mode, I never said it would, but if the leafs are out of a playoff stop and our trending downward at the trade deadline like they were last year, don't you think that puts more pressure and incentive for BB to get some major help like Luongo.

Which is what I was refering too, I don't know why you brought up struggling at the begining I was talking about the midway-point/end when the playoffs are in the balance.

At that point, most teams will want to add a veteran goaltender with an expiring contract, not a guy with 9 years left on his deal at a significant cap hit. Not a lot of "hockey trades" made at the deadline, relatively.

$7M is 11% of $64M. Not 8.5%.

And how much he earns doesn't take away from the fact that a 2018 retirement means that he'd effectively be walking away from a guaranteed, easy $7M, which would be hard to do.

How many of those guys walked away from millions of guaranteed dollars?

The issue is not age, the issue is why Roberto Luongo would willingly choose to walk away from millions of dollars to help his team's cap structure. I don't think Bobby's as selfless a guy as, say, Danny and Hank are. That's why you see #1 flogging poker websites, and you see the twins donating millions to children's hospitals.

Archived