The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Luongo for Bozak, a guy who is a UFA in seven months, and Kadri? Can someone explain how they see Kadri (Kyle Wellwood 2.0) fitting in? Is he going to bump Kesler to the third line? Is Kadri a third line center? Is he better than Schroeder? Not imo - and I'd be willing to bet the Canucks would not trade Schroeder for Kadri one for one. If Kadri, oddly enough, were considered to fit here, then where would Bozak fit? Two more centers who'd essentially overlap each other? This deal makes no sense.

Where are these reports/rumours coming from?

Not going to happen.

Bozak fits in on the 3rd line, he's a response defensive player, good on draws, backchecks, has good enough size (he isn't a small player), skates well, brings good offense.

Kadri is better than Schroeder for sure and I'm a huge Schroeder fan, Kadri can play wing and center as far as I know, he has great offensive qualities, either player could play 2nd or 3rd line when needed, and if Kadri isn't ready (Which I think he was last year for sure) then he can always play in the AHL for a bit longer.

So the result of the Luongo deal is to add two more, at best, third line centers...

Which would leave Bozak, Lapierre, Malhotra, Schroeder and Kadri competing for two spots.

My problem with this type of deal is that it has no balance / makes virtually no sense (to the Canucks, let alone the Leafs who can't afford to drop a couple centers). Take one of these guys out of the deal (preferably Kadri), Bozak's value is limited by the fact there is no term to his contract, add a RW like Frattin (or Biggs), a blueline prospect (perhaps a guy like Holzer), and a pick...

Kadri has been thrown under the bus in Toronto simply because he was/is expected to jump into their first line C role and be their savour. Yeah, he may have been a couple pounds over weight but thats something that can easily be dealt with. He has the skill, and definetly the playmaking ability that we need at center moving forward.

Kadri's first year in the AHL: 44gp, 17g, 24 a, 41 points -> o.93 points per game

Schroeders first year : 61gp, 10g, 18a, 28 points -> 0.45 points per game

Kadri's second year: 48gp, 18g, 22a, 40 points -> 0.83 ppg

Schroeders second year: 76gp, 21g, 23a, 44 points -> 0.57 ppg

Kadri this year: 17gp, 2g, 13a, 15 points -> 0.88 ppg

Schroeder : 18gp,7g, 4a, 11 points -> 0.61 ppg

and for what its worth.......

Kadri in the nhl : 51 gp, 8g, 11a, 19 points - > 0.37 ppg

Kassian : 44 gp, 4g, 6a, 10 points -> 0.22 ppg

Kadri has been thrown under the bus in Toronto simply because he was/is expected to jump into their first line C role and be their savour. Yeah, he may have been a couple pounds over weight but thats something that can easily be dealt with. He has the skill, and definetly the playmaking ability that we need at center moving forward.

Kadri has the offensive skills to play in the top 6, Manny and Lappy would be great as 4th liners, Bozak could take the 3rd spot, and I guess Schroeder would continue his season in the AHL and gets a big chance next year, not that alot of people here have faith he will be something.

Kadri will be more than a 3rd liner, offensively he already is. Bozak played top 6 in Toronto, I don't think he is a bonified top 6 guy but I would take him in the top 6 over Manny or Lappy anyday. Bozak is a 2nd/3rd tweener center IMO and Kadri is the same but he is a little different due to the circumstances of him being not completely proven.

Ok. I'll try to be reasonable... but it is the Leafs we are talking about here, haha.

Picking up a pair of centers is probably not such a bad idea - as you point out, Kadri could be converted to wing - and Bozak might also be a good guy to play at RW. Having a pair of centers on a line is never a bad idea - and with Kesler's health issues, perhaps loadiing up on centers is the ticket.

I'm not denying that Kadri has talent - I think Schroeder will be a good NHL center - Kadri may be as well, and it would be extremely sweet if he were to break out in Vancouver after Toronto has been so disappointed... tbh, it'd be interesting to see how Kadri does given the opportunity that Hodgson had.

So the result of the Luongo deal is to add two more, at best, third line centers...

Which would leave Bozak, Lapierre, Malhotra, Schroeder and Kadri competing for two spots.

My problem with this type of deal is that it has no balance / makes virtually no sense (to the Canucks, let alone the Leafs who can't afford to drop a couple centers). Take one of these guys out of the deal (preferably Kadri), Bozak's value is limited by the fact there is no term to his contract, add a RW like Frattin (or Biggs), a blueline prospect (perhaps a guy like Holzer), and a pick...

I agree. If Gillis is able to turn Luongo into Bozak & Kadri, bravo. The fact that Bozak's a UFA in 7 months is really not that relevant; the point is that he's a supplement to the lineup today, the obvious 3rd line C, and Kadri just puts another skilled guy in our cupboard, a guy with high potential who's probably NHL-ready.

I agree. If Gillis is able to turn Luongo into Bozak & Kadri, bravo. The fact that Bozak's a UFA in 7 months is really not that relevant; the point is that he's a supplement to the lineup today, the obvious 3rd line C, and Kadri just puts another skilled guy in our cupboard, a guy with high potential who's probably NHL-ready.

Kadri is just another small soft forward with the mythical good potential card attached to him. The Canucks dont need that kind of player, they need a good greasy big forward who can score and bust teeth when called upon. Red flags are up when Kadri came into camp with big body fat after going on the great Gary Roberts plan in the summer. There is a reason most leaf fans want him in a trade for Luongo, they know he is a bust.

Kadri is just another small soft forward with the mythical good potential card attached to him. The Canucks dont need that kind of player, they need a good greasy big forward who can score and bust teeth when called upon. Red flags are up when Kadri came into camp with big body fat after going on the great Gary Roberts plan in the summer. There is a reason most leaf fans want him in a trade for Luongo, they know he is a bust.

Archived