The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

We have Kassian, Gaunce, and Jensen moving forward. After the Sedins move on or retire Kesler and Burrows will likely still be around too. In my books thats 5 greasy/big body/grinder/ two way forwards, whichever category they fit into individually. Tell me, which one of those 5 is our playmaker?

Everybody is on the get bigger, get tougher train in Vancouver including myself, and for good reason after meeting Boston and LA in the playoffs. That however, doesn't mean every single player on the team has to fit that mold. Kadri would be the most purely skilled player out of that group of 5 I mentioned (with the exception of Jensen who "might" be a more natural finisher)

While everybody is complaining about Kadri he still just keeps putting up points. Now he may not actually pan out and be our first line center in the future, but he is our best option in a Luongo trade as far as we know. I just don't understand peoples rational here sometimes. "Get Bozak, we need a third line center, Kadri might not even make our team for ONE WHOLE YEAR he must be useless" "Kadri is 5 pounds overweight I don't care that he gets more points than everyone else, get Joe Colborne hes like 7 feet tall!"

Edit: For all the people complaining about him not coming into camp in the best shape, how many people still think he's over weight a couple months into the season? The Canucks are known for having some of the highest fitness standards in the league, maybe Toronto should take a lesson. Yeah Wellwood was fat too, BEFORE he came to Vancouver. Once he came to Vancouver there wasn't an issue after just a few weeks. I have faith in Vancouvers training staff, regardless of which player that refers to.

No matter how you slice it; our agenda is a roster player who helps now, a stud young player AND futures. And either the futures or the young player has to be a serious blue chip lock. We need to be able to project 4 years from now both being competitive for us and one a team leader. Lou was hands down our best player for 2 to 3 years and at or close to all star level for 5 of his 6 years. .We need meat back, not just gravy...

- Bozak, the longer the lockout runs, the less useful he has in the conversation. Franson and Kulemin are alternates here and effectively Colburne (useful but certainly not a top flight young gun).

- Kadri could qualify as the young player, but can T.O. afford to give up its top young centre?

- What we really want is Gardiner or a top 2013 pick. Alternately TWO mid tier prospects prospects likely to make it. Biggs and Ashton.

So if the Leafs run with Reilly (their "top pick in the draft"), Gardiner is fine with Bozak and Colburne, as Gardiner is a headline pickup. But without Gardiner (more likely);

What we want and will get is (pick two of these three) Kadri, Aston and Biggs PLUS their choice of Colburne and Franson. Happy to send secondaries back as balance (Connauton if Gardiner, Schroeder if Kadri or Colburne, Raymond...).

Mark it here?

I would personally take Kadri and Biggs if it were up to me. That might not fit into the structure you laid out of also needing a player to help us NOW, but is Bozak a difference maker anyways? Give me the potential of Kadri and Biggs over the very slight upgrade Bozak might give us over Lapierre/Malhotra for half a season.

No matter how you slice it; our agenda is a roster player who helps now, a stud young player AND futures. And either the futures or the young player has to be a serious blue chip lock. We need to be able to project 4 years from now both being competitive for us and one a team leader. Lou was hands down our best player for 2 to 3 years and at or close to all star level for 5 of his 6 years. .We need meat back, not just gravy...

- Bozak, the longer the lockout runs, the less useful he has in the conversation. Franson and Kulemin are alternates here and effectively Colburne (useful but certainly not a top flight young gun).

- Kadri could qualify as the young player, but can T.O. afford to give up its top young centre?

- What we really want is Gardiner or a top 2013 pick. Alternately TWO mid tier prospects prospects likely to make it. Biggs and Ashton.

So if the Leafs run with Reilly (their "top pick in the draft"), Gardiner is fine with Bozak and Colburne, as Gardiner is a headline pickup. But without Gardiner (more likely);

What we ask for and will get is (pick two of these three) Kadri, Ashton and Biggs PLUS their choice of Colburne and Franson. Happy to send secondaries back as balance (Connauton if Gardiner, Schroeder if Kadri or Colburne, Raymond...).

Mark it here? Deal will be Ashton, Biggs and Franson.

2 years from now

Danny / Hank/ Kass

Jensen / Kess / Biggs

Burrows / Gaunce / Ashton

Looks pretty good!

What we ask for and will get is (pick two of these three) Kadri, Ashton and Biggs PLUS their choice of Colburne and Franson. Happy to send secondaries back as balance (Connauton if Gardiner, Schroeder if Kadri or Colburne, Raymond...).

Mark it here? Deal will be Ashton, Biggs and Franson.

2 years from now

Danny / Hank/ Kass

Jensen / Kess / Biggs

Burrows / Gaunce / Ashton

Looks pretty good!

We have Kassian, Gaunce, and Jensen moving forward. After the Sedins move on or retire Kesler and Burrows will likely still be around too. In my books thats 5 greasy/big body/grinder/ two way forwards, whichever category they fit into individually. Tell me, which one of those 5 is our playmaker?

Everybody is on the get bigger, get tougher train in Vancouver including myself, and for good reason after meeting Boston and LA in the playoffs. That however, doesn't mean every single player on the team has to fit that mold. Kadri would be the most purely skilled player out of that group of 5 I mentioned (with the exception of Jensen who "might" be a more natural finisher)

While everybody is complaining about Kadri he still just keeps putting up points. Now he may not actually pan out and be our first line center in the future, but he is our best option in a Luongo trade as far as we know. I just don't understand peoples rational here sometimes. "Get Bozak, we need a third line center, Kadri might not even make our team for ONE WHOLE YEAR he must be useless" "Kadri is 5 pounds overweight I don't care that he gets more points than everyone else, get Joe Colborne hes like 7 feet tall!"

Edit: For all the people complaining about him not coming into camp in the best shape, how many people still think he's over weight a couple months into the season? The Canucks are known for having some of the highest fitness standards in the league, maybe Toronto should take a lesson. Yeah Wellwood was fat too, BEFORE he came to Vancouver. Once he came to Vancouver there wasn't an issue after just a few weeks. I have faith in Vancouvers training staff, regardless of which player that refers to.

I'm also not sure that Burke wants to part with Kadri. This being said, the Leafs are a team which is badly in need of a top-6 center. If they have one in Kadri, why would they be willing to trade him away without a reasonable replacement waiting in the wings? If Colborne is just big, and otherwise has no real use, wouldn't he be the guy that Gillis wants to shift?

Archived