The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

So the tables are turned - you're the Leafs and you want a 1st round pick (Colborne), a 1st round pick, and a 2nd round pick for an aging 33 year old soon to be UFA blueliner (whose best days were clearly far behind him) in the form of Kaberle.

Oh, that's the price for a proven veteran who can help you in (or make) the playoffs?

In the end, Kaberle for Luongo.

The Leafs pull off a rare fleecing.

Schroeder was to be compared to Ashton, Kassian to Colbourne. Comparisons drawn from draft year/position. Really impossible to say that one player is "better" than another, at this point, since none are established NHLers.

Exchange Jensen for Kassian, than, whatever. Doesn't matter. Would you trade Schroeder & Jensen for the 33 year-old expensive goaltender that the Leafs need to get rid of?

Schroeder was to be compared to Ashton, Kassian to Colbourne. Comparisons drawn from draft year/position. Really impossible to say that one player is "better" than another, at this point, since none are established NHLers.

Exchange Jensen for Kassian, than, whatever. Doesn't matter. Would you trade Schroeder & Jensen for the 33 year-old expensive goaltender that the Leafs need to get rid of?

First of all, at the time of his trade, his best days were not "clearly far behind him". He was actually having one of the most productive offensive years of his career.

In addition, there are two pretty significant differences:

• Boston was only married to him for the remainder of the year, as he was a UFA-to-be. This decreases Boston's risk, and thus increases Kaberle's value.

• Boston clearly had targeted and wanted Kaberle very badly. Burke was likely able to get what he was for this very reason; he would've otherwise allowed Kaberle's contract to simply expire, and let him walk, so he had leverage in that respect.

These same "hockey minds" had a discussion earlier tonight about a Luongo trade to Florida for the small package of Jonathan Huberdeau, Alex Petrovic, Scott Clemmensen, and a 1st.

These are "hockey minds", to you?

No it isn't, because none of the 6 players mentioned are established NHLers. At this point, they're all 1st round prospects of equivalent age and with roughly equivalent potential.

If Booth isn't that defensive as you claim, then how would it serve that line to throw another guy out there who is not very defensive? My point was that I'd prefer to move a two-way center to wing on Kesler's line if that must happen, as opposed to taxing him more. I'd move Bozak to wing before Kadri, and I'd prefer a physical guy who can score (like Frattin - an actual RW) over Kadri as well. Actually I'd prefer Raymond, whose backcheck and defensive responsibility imo is part of what enabled Kesler to win a Selke and score 41 goals.

Alright, I just didn't know what you were talking about with Richards, I didn't see the conversation prior so it was my mistake.

And personally I think Booth is fine defensively, I actually like Booth and I am a big supporter. it just seems that whenever someone underrates him they say he isn't great defensively. I can understand your point, but the center's responsability is defense as much as offense, so either way it wouldn't make a big difference IMO when you break it down. Adding Kadri would help the line's overall offense, and probably his development, plus he isn't nearly has bad defensively as people think, he is actually a good stick checker and he was a + last year. He just tries things sometimes cause of his amazing hands and loses the puck, as I said before no different from anyone else.

And come on Raymond? I can understand your point again, but he isn't all that great defensively, he is just fast so he can get to the point faster, he loses battles all the time, makes bad desicisons with the puck (just as bad if not worse than Kadri) and he doesn't block shots, his defensive play is way overrated IMO, and then Offensively Kadri is better.

note who was 11th in the NHL, just behind Kesler at #9...

http://www.behindthe... 42 43 44 45 46

and regarding Booth, I agree, I don't think he is a liability - in fact he tied Burrows with a +16.1 relative corsi last year in Vancouver - he gets an undue amount of criticism (regarding his play on the ice - probably due in part to his sport-hunting and religious tweeting...)

Philly wasn't loaded with centers when they had Richard and Carter - they got Schenn back in the Richards deal, Couturier in the Carter deal... aside from those two guys, they have Talbot and Rinaldo. They're loaded with wingers, which allowed them to move JVR...

Archived