The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Your going to have to explain Corsi to me before you use it in an argument against me haha. :P

I just look at the way I see Raymond play, he has speed that helps but other than that he makes ton's of mistakes, doesn't block shots, isn't physical, loses battles, to me he is just lucky he gets unlimited chances to play with such good players, that's the only thing keeping him in the + category IMO.

Compare apples with apples then...

Florida got an All Star power forward, a blue chip dman prospect and a starting goalie for Lu. But now you are saying after six years the Canucks shouldn't get anything. ???

Posters are suggesting secondary pieces, not even close to what the Canucks gave up.

Lu, Sauve, 3rd

For

Rielly or JVR

Dreaming...

You're aware that you're basing your opinion on a sample size that's roughly 20% of a single AHL season, right?

Colborne had 39 points in 65 games in the AHL last year, as well, while Kassian had 26 in 30. Would he have been able to keep up the pace? Maybe. But let's not also forget that Colborne had 5 points in 10 NHL games last year, too, while Kassian had only 3 in 17.

In 2011-12, Ashton had 35 points in 56 games (0.63 PPG) in the AHL, whereas Schroeder had 44 in 76 (0.58 PPG). So I guess Carter Ashton was the better player last year, than, while Jordan Schroeder is currently the better player, as of about 20% of the AHL's season?

Anyway, my point is based on the fact that at this point, all of these guys are of comparable value: 1st round picks that haven't done anything in the NHL.

One of the common CDC misconceptions.

You admit that you don't understand how Corsi works, but base youre opinion on "what you see". A lot of casual fans see things the same as you, but don't really understand what they're looking at.

Do you really believe that the Canucks would re-sign Raymond (even with a paycut) if they believed as you and the rest of these casual fans do?

Raymond gets a bad rap on CDC, because most people don't understand much about hockey past offensive stats. He more valuable than most people think.

Yeah because he came off an injury, and before that he was actually a good player. So there is a reason there and something to aim for.

Plus he is an RFA, why would you give that asset away for nothing. If he has another terrible season I doubt he will remain with the club.

I don't believe Corsi is the be all end all, but it is a useful stat. My point is that he doesn't block shots, he loses battles, gives the puck away, isn't physical, these aren't really things that can be proven or disproven because he has gotten unless chances to play in the top 6, which boost his corsi even if he plays well, and either way.

how can corsi prove if he wins battles, gives the puck away, or blocks shots?

The only good about his defensive play is that he can play his position and that he has speed, that's pretty much it IMO.

As King is fond of saying, I think you need to look at it from the point of view of the other side.

How many offensively challenged teams out there would be interested in a former 25 goal scorer with speed to burn, especially considering that his decline can be attributed to a couple of serious injuries? Here we have people talking in positive terms about Nazem Kadri, as similar player, but without the 25 goal campaign behind him.

If Gillis didn't value Raymond, I doubt that he'd have had much trouble getting a decent prospect or pick for him.

He would probably get the same thing Florida got from us for Higgins.

The reason I talk about Kadri like that is because unlike Raymond he hasn't gotten endless opportunites in the top 6 (let alone even on the team).

Gillis still believes in him, he has to cause his play can be faulted by the injury, there is hope he can regain form, but if he doesn't I doubt he will be back, and MG and Raymond both know he is on his last straw.

Archived