3002 replies to this topic

#541 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,498 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

Not one of Eberle, Schultz, Yakupov, RNH, Hall, Petry, Klefbom would be involved in a trade for Luongo.

You gotta be kidding me if you think Petry and Klefbom won't be included in a Luongo deal...

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 30 October 2012 - 09:24 PM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#542 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

http://bit.ly/SeHSgw

According to the Oiler's media guy, Edmonton is going to make a big trade splash once the CBA is signed. It don't get much bigger than trading for a starting goalie within your division.
Oilers have a lot of prospects the Canucks could fill the cupboard with.

Lu, Sauve, Shroeder, 1st
For
RNH

:lol:

Sauve is loose change in that trade, and if he is in, then I would offer a 2nd, or take him out and give the 1st, but I would do that deal in a heartbeat. Nuge is absolutely sick. I think he will be the most important player on the Oilers within 2 years.
Yeah, in a HEARTBEAT.

Sedin Sedin Booth
Kassian Kesler Burrows
Jensen Nugent-Hopkins Kassian
Hansen Malholtra Lapierre

Dude, having watched a lot of Oilers games, I can tell you that Nuge would KILL on our 3rd line. Put him on the 2nd unit power play, and you would forget about Hodgson real quick.

Edited by WiDeN, 30 October 2012 - 09:55 PM.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#543 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,498 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

Sauve is loose change in that trade, and if he is in, then I would offer a 2nd, or take him out and give the 1st, but I would do that deal in a heartbeat. Nuge is absolutely sick. I think he will be the most important player on the Oilers within 2 years.
Yeah, in a HEARTBEAT.

Sedin Sedin Booth
Kassian Kesler Burrows
Jensen Nugent-Hopkins Kassian
Hansen Malholtra Lapierre

Dude, having watched a lot of Oilers games, I can tell you that Nuge would KILL on our 3rd line. Put him on the 2nd unit power play, and you would forget about Hodgson real quick.

Just thought I'd point out that you have Kassian double shifting :P

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

#544 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

You gotta be kidding me if you think Petry and Klefbom won't be included in a Luongo deal...

No I am not. Smid and Petry were the Oilers 1st pairing last season.

#545 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

Just thought I'd point out that you have Kassian double shifting :P

F*ck yeah, kid's a beast!

LOL, I should stop drinking and posting.

I meant to have Hansen on the 3rd and Chuck Knorris on the 4th.

Edited by WiDeN, 30 October 2012 - 11:03 PM.

MirandaKerr.jpg

#546 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,498 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

No I am not. Smid and Petry were the Oilers 1st pairing last season.

Then this just proves how arrogant you are when trying to determine Luongo. 'Oilers won't trade Petry straight up for Luongo.' lol :picard:

And btw, just because Petry was on the first D pair AT TIMES does not make him a bonafide, top 2 D man.

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 30 October 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#547 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

Then this just proves how arrogant you are when trying to determine Luongo. 'Oilers won't trade Petry straight up for Luongo.' lol :picard:

And btw, just because Petry was on the first D pair AT TIMES does not make him a bonafide, top 2 D man.

You're looking far to close at the canvas to be able to look at the bigger picture.

Luongo isn't that much of an upgrade over Dubnyk on paper. Luongo's even strength save % was .929, Dubnyk's is .927%.

Luongo is more proven but Dubnyk is younger, cheaper and still has upside. The difference between Dubnyk and Luongo isn't worth the Oilers 2nd best defenceman.

And just because I said he was on the Oilers 1st pairing doesn't mean that I'm saying he's a #2 defenceman. The Oilers don't have a #1 or a #2. The Canucks don't have a #1 defenceman either.

Oilers don't NEED Luongo. They aren't going to gut themselves to get him.

#548 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,498 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:33 PM

You're looking far to close at the canvas to be able to look at the bigger picture.

Luongo isn't that much of an upgrade over Dubnyk on paper. Luongo's even strength save % was .929, Dubnyk's is .927%.

Luongo is more proven but Dubnyk is younger, cheaper and still has upside. The difference between Dubnyk and Luongo isn't worth the Oilers 2nd best defenceman.

And just because I said he was on the Oilers 1st pairing doesn't mean that I'm saying he's a #2 defenceman. The Oilers don't have a #1 or a #2. The Canucks don't have a #1 defenceman either.

Oilers don't NEED Luongo. They aren't going to gut themselves to get him.

Omg...I don't even know where to begin. If you actually pay attention to what the Oilers D core looks like, you would know that RYAN WHITNEY and NICK SCHULTZ, who are both MILES better than Petry, are Edmonton's two best defensemen. Then you have Ladislav Smid and up and coming Justin Schultz who round out Edmonton's top 4, which puts Petry in a top 4 role when he is really no better than a top six D man. Don't assume that just because Petry gets ice time on the top pair, doesn't mean his value is that of a true top pair defenseman.

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 30 October 2012 - 11:34 PM.

#549 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

This is the Oilers' depth chart for defence going into next season:

Smid-Petry
Whitney-N.Schultz
Sutton-J.Schultz
EXTRA:Peckham-Potter

Petry averaged the most minutes per game last season. He also played the second hardest competition last season as well. He also got the most points on defence. He is one of the Oilers best defencemen.

#550 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,498 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

Smid-Petry
Whitney-N.Schultz
Sutton-J.Schultz
EXTRA:Peckham-Potter.

No, that's not what the Oilers D core will look like next season. Both you and I know it will look something like this

Whitney - N. Schultz
Smid - J. Schultz
Petry - Sutton

#551 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:19 AM

Luango and Edler for
Yakupov and one of their better D prospects like Klefbom, Musil, etc.
plus whatever lesser assets need swapping.

So, Florida won't give us Nick Bjugstad, but Edmonton will somehow be OK with giving us Nail Yakupov?

When you wish, upon a star...

#552 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

Yeah, in a HEARTBEAT.

Dude, my smiley face was a representation of what Steve Tambellini's face would look like if Mike Gillis called him up and offered him that deal.

They would NEVER even consider for more than two seconds a trade that would send us RNH. Somebody else mentioned Yakupov, which was equally laughable. The obvious target, if we're dealing with Edmonton, is probably Paajarvi. A realistic deal might be something like Luongo + Ballard for Paajarvi. But you've gotta think that Gillis will be very, very reluctant in dealing with Edmonton. Give a team like that Roberto Luongo, and they might well win the division as early as next year - and then the next 5.

Edited by King of the ES, 31 October 2012 - 03:27 AM.

#553 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

Dude, my smiley face was a representation of what Steve Tambellini's face would look like if Mike Gillis called him up and offered him that deal.

They would NEVER even consider for more than two seconds a trade that would send us RNH. Somebody else mentioned Yakupov, which was equally laughable. The obvious target, if we're dealing with Edmonton, is probably Paajarvi. A realistic deal might be something like Luongo + Ballard for Paajarvi. But you've gotta think that Gillis will be very, very reluctant in dealing with Edmonton. Give a team like that Roberto Luongo, and they might well win the division as early as next year - and then the next 5.

If Edmonton offered that crappy deal, (Luongo + Ballard for Paajarvi) Gillis would react much like your RNH scenario. The only way Gillis is trading Luongo to a division rival is for a deal he cannot refuse and that is not it.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#554 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

If Edmonton offered that crappy deal, (Luongo + Ballard for Paajarvi) Gillis would react much like your RNH scenario. The only way Gillis is trading Luongo to a division rival is for a deal he cannot refuse and that is not it.

If that's the case, I think Gillis is as out of touch with reality as most CDCers are as it relates to Luongo.

#555 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

No, that's not what the Oilers D core will look like next season. Both you and I know it will look something like this

Whitney - N. Schultz
Smid - J. Schultz
Petry - Sutton

Whitney was recovering from ankle surgery last season. He was nowhere close to the level he was before.N. Schultz is a not overly physical defensive defenceman. He's a #4 or a #5 on a good team.J. Schultz is tearing it up in OKC but that's mostly on the PP. He will have sheltered minutes 5 on 5 next season.Smid was the Oilers go to defenceman paired with Petry.Sutton has to go for a 2nd surgery this off season. I out him on the depth chart put he will likely retire.Petry would be on the right side because he's a right hand shot defenceman.Look at NHL.com and behindthenet.ca and loook up the stats on Oilers defencemen. You will see Petry was one of Oilers best defencemen last season with Smid.Trading Petry FOR Luongo would make the Oilers slightly better in goal but much worse on defence.

#556 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,498 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

Whitney was recovering from ankle surgery last season. He was nowhere close to the level he was before.N. Schultz is a not overly physical defensive defenceman. He's a #4 or a #5 on a good team.J. Schultz is tearing it up in OKC but that's mostly on the PP. He will have sheltered minutes 5 on 5 next season.Smid was the Oilers go to defenceman paired with Petry.Sutton has to go for a 2nd surgery this off season. I out him on the depth chart put he will likely retire.Petry would be on the right side because he's a right hand shot defenceman.Look at NHL.com and behindthenet.ca and loook up the stats on Oilers defencemen. You will see Petry was one of Oilers best defencemen last season with Smid.Trading Petry FOR Luongo would make the Oilers slightly better in goal but much worse on defence.

Luongo for Petry would only make the Oilers just slighty better in goal??? You're out to lunch. If the Oilers could rip the Canucks off that badly it would guarantee Edmonton a playoff spot. No questions asked.

#557 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

Luongo + Raymond to FLA for Bjugstad + Ellerby
Edler + Ballard to EDM for Yakupov + Gagner

#558 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

Edler + Ballard to EDM for Yakupov + Gagner

I don't know, I think Edmonton would need to throw in Eberle to make this work. He's an undersized guy who they have no use for, anyway.

#559 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

Whatever happened to Omark? Looking at his stats on HockeyDB, I can't believe Edmonton would give up on this guy. They did the same thing with Paajarvi, up for an entire NHL season only to be sent down for a full AHL season next year... and we're supposed to admire these guys for developing their prospects?

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#560 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

That's quite the warm welcome for the guy expected to man this team's pipes for the next 3 years, at a minimum, and who's replacing the guy who owns the team's record books.

Boo hoo.

I wonder how Luongo felt having to split time with Schneids last year? But he didn't whine about it and niether will Schneids.

Both know Lu will be gone eventually, they are good friends, and they will both get enough playing time to remain content, so there really aren't any issues, especially if the Schedule is compressed.

That's a better scenario then getting a cap dump/terrible return.

zackass.png

#561 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

I live in Edmonton, and watch a lot of Oilers games, so I feel pretty qualified to talk about their players.

Smid-Petry
Whitney-N.Schultz
Sutton-J.Schultz
EXTRA:Peckham-Potter

Petry averaged the most minutes per game last season. He also played the second hardest competition last season as well. He also got the most points on defence. He is one of the Oilers best defencemen.

Yeah, that is so wrong it's not even funny.

Whitney is Edmonton's best defensemen, although he is always injured. Nick Schultz is their top stay-at-home guy. Smid is a poor man's Edler, and seemed to improve last season, but he has never been a favorite of mine. He was possibly rushed in to the NHL. We all know Justin Schultz, and what he's been doing in OKC this year, so no need to talk about him. Sutton is a frick'n pylon that is really only there as a big body on a small team. Peckham is exciting and frustrating at the same time. He is like a young Kevin Bieksa that will likely never be as good as KB3. Potter played well last year when injuries forced him in to the top 4, but is still developing. Petry looked decent last year, but hadn't in previous years. He is nothing to salivate over, and definitely not at the top of the Oilers D charts.

Yeah, the Oilers would NEVER consider trading Nuge. I would bet that they would consider trading Hall before Nuge.

Your proposed deal is terrible. I would be chapped. Even Lu for Paajarvi would suck. Paajarvi doesn't do it for me.

Whatever happened to Omark? Looking at his stats on HockeyDB, I can't believe Edmonton would give up on this guy. They did the same thing with Paajarvi, up for an entire NHL season only to be sent down for a full AHL season next year... and we're supposed to admire these guys for developing their prospects?

He has motivational issues. He is awesome in one game, and then invisible for the next 5. He is not tough enough to be a 3rd liner, and not consistent enough to be a 2nd liner. He needs development.

MirandaKerr.jpg

#562 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

I don't know, I think Edmonton would need to throw in Eberle to make this work. He's an undersized guy who they have no use for, anyway.

Sarcasm much?

MirandaKerr.jpg

#563 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

:picard: Facepalm to that statement, more like: It would make the Oilers much better in goal and only slightly worse on Defense.

He had 2G, 23A, for 25P and was a -7 and had 26 Pims in 73 Games. It's really nothing impressive.

Whitney, N.Schultz, J.Schultz, Smid, are all players I would put ahead of him for sure.

zackass.png

#564 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Boo hoo.

I wonder how Luongo felt having to split time with Schneids last year? But he didn't whine about it and niether will Schneids.

Both know Lu will be gone eventually, they are good friends, and they will both get enough playing time to remain content, so there really aren't any issues, especially if the Schedule is compressed.

The idea was to showcase and eventually trade Schneider, remember? Gillis just never got around to doing that, evidently. The whole "Luongo trade" scenario was not even fathomable until Schneider was put in for Game 3 and stayed in until the beatdown series was complete. It was only at that point that the "Luongo trade" came into existence.

Schneider had played his way into the top spot, which I am pretty positive that Gillis didn't want to see happen, given what he's left to deal with now. Luongo didn't whine because he probably thought (like the rest of the fanbase) that Schneider was going to be traded, sooner or later.

That's a better scenario then getting a cap dump/terrible return.

And what will it be in 2013, as a 34 year-old coming off a season where he was the backup? An even worse cap dump/lower return? Yup.

#565 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

Your proposed deal is terrible. I would be chapped. Even Lu for Paajarvi would suck. Paajarvi doesn't do it for me.

I don't get it. People are so wrapped up on Nick Bjugstad, but Magnus Paajarvi isn't a good enough return? I'd be shocked if Gillis could get him for Luongo.

What are you expecting?

#566 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

The idea was to showcase and eventually trade Schneider, remember? Gillis just never got around to doing that, evidently. The whole "Luongo trade" scenario was not even fathomable until Schneider was put in for Game 3 and stayed in until the beatdown series was complete. It was only at that point that the "Luongo trade" came into existence.

Schneider had played his way into the top spot, which I am pretty positive that Gillis didn't want to see happen, given what he's left to deal with now. Luongo didn't whine because he probably thought (like the rest of the fanbase) that Schneider was going to be traded, sooner or later.

And what will it be in 2013, as a 34 year-old coming off a season where he was the backup? An even worse cap dump/lower return? Yup.

Really I dont think he was trying to Showcase Schneider.

I think after we lost the cup, and even through this season, they looked at all the scenario's involving the Goaltending, and they come to the conclusion that this may be a possibilty, and I think they were just gunna wait it out and see what it gunna happen.

Schneider was put in this tough games to see if he could handle it, and see if he was ready, and at the end of the day he just played so well, that it made more sense for us to keep him.

I don't think it was every a sure thing that we were gunna trade Schneider.

And who knows, I do think we can't wait forever but I would rather hold off a bit for the right trade.

zackass.png

#567 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

He has motivational issues. He is awesome in one game, and then invisible for the next 5. He is not tough enough to be a 3rd liner, and not consistent enough to be a 2nd liner. He needs development.

I like Omark a lot - is he still Oiler property? I don't think the motivational issues are there; I recall even him being very, very pissed off at not making the team one year, and being vocal about it, which I thought was great. He's got a bit of Wellwood in him - another guy I'm very high on. Unbelievable talent, cast-off because of the irrational obsession with size in hockey.

#568 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

Strombone@strombone1

Here's a trick and a treat all rolled into one!

Posted Image

Maybe he's giving us a clue, Oilers mask? lol

#569 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

Strombone@strombone1

Posted Image

Maybe he's giving us a clue, Oilers mask? lol

Normally I would laugh but with the way things are right now, it could be a possibility. AHHHH lockout I hate you.

It's a good prank.

Edited by Ossi Vaananen, 31 October 2012 - 07:04 PM.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#570 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

If that was MG's plan, do you think he would completely change it because AV put in Schneider for 3 games? I doubt it. He's in a better position than before now that he knows he has 2 good goalies at his disposal.

As for trading Lu, if he isn't offered something he likes, MG would wait till part way through a season when teams get desperate for goaltending, then his offers will become a lot better. Never a cap dump.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.