3002 replies to this topic

#841 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,210 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

Im thinking if Phaneuf is coming to Vancouver via Luongo, then it won't be just Luongo, but a package. Maybe something like this

To Vancouver: Dion Phaneuf + Matthew Lombardi

To Toronto: Roberto Luongo + David Booth + Mason Raymond + Chris Tanev + maybe a pick (2nd-4th)

Luongo, Booth, Tanev = Phaneuf
Raymond, pick = Lombardi

Edler - Phaneuf
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Garrison

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#842 drummerboy

drummerboy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Lp

#843 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Or a 12 year who plays atom hockey...
Judging by you consistant Lu bashing and support of Dubnyk, I am thinking it's time to go to school.
Schneider is the better goalie but to bash Lu like he's accomplished nothing is rediculous.

Well its Lou on the trading block...so..it can;t all be wrong !!

#844 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,851 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

TOR
G Corey Schneider
D Chris Tanev
D Keith Ballard
1st

VAN
D Dion Phaneuf
C Lombardi(cap dump)
D Morgan Reilly

I'd rather keep Schneider, Tanev, Ballard and the 1st than take on Phaneuf and Lombardi - even if it does get us Rielly.

Pure conjecture.

If you actually look at "both resumes", you may notice that the .937 save% and 1.96 GAA that Schneider just had are better numbers than Luongo has ever posted in a season - even his two Vezina-nominated ones. You can also see that the .960 save% and 1.31 GAA Schneider had in the playoffs were better than any of Lu's playoff numbers.

Schneider may have only played 3 games, but if you look back at the records, Luongo only had two 3-playoff-game stretches where he actually equalled-or-bettered Schneider's .960 save%. Games 2-4 against Dallas, and games 1-3 against St. Louis. These are often pointed to as proof as Luongo's superior ability - and Schneider just played as well, against a far superior opponent. It wasn't his fault his team couldn't score for him - he kept them in it. Unfortunately, Luongo hasn't given us that sort of consistent, game stealing goaltending since 2009.

Also, there's the simple comparison. Look at what Luongo did last season with the same team in front of him, and you'll find his numbers were fairly average - and downright pedestrian compared to Corey's.

At the end of the day, recent evidence strongly suggests that Luongo is no longer a top-5 goaltender in the NHL, and that Schneider is. That is why Lu is available, even though he still is top-10.

While Luongo may have dropped off and Schneider may have had good outings, the sample sizes are just too small to make sweeping projections that Schneider's already better than Luongo. Luongo could bring up his play again after a trade and Schneider could falter under a higher workload. You can't discount how the team was playing in front of each goalie as well.

I'm not saying it won't be the case in future, as it could be, just that we don't know for sure yet. What we do know is Luongo is much more accomplished to this point, and my opinion is he'd handle a tough situation better than Schneider at this point in their careers.

Im thinking if Phaneuf is coming to Vancouver via Luongo, then it won't be just Luongo, but a package. Maybe something like this

To Vancouver: Dion Phaneuf + Matthew Lombardi

To Toronto: Roberto Luongo + David Booth + Mason Raymond + Chris Tanev + maybe a pick (2nd-4th)

Luongo, Booth, Tanev = Phaneuf
Raymond, pick = Lombardi

Edler - Phaneuf
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Garrison

I don't know why so many want to include Phaneuf, the Leafs captain and one of Burke's poster boys for truculence. C_H_101's proposal earlier is at least not far from what I'd do, but this one takes away the one piece I'd truly like in Rielly and we give up more from our side as well. No thanks to this deal.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#845 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

Or a 12 year who plays atom hockey...
Judging by you consistant Lu bashing and support of Dubnyk, I am thinking it's time to go to school.
Schneider is the better goalie but to bash Lu like he's accomplished nothing is rediculous.

I only ever comment on goaltending, its what I know. I don;t profess to know about good or bad trades for Lou and don;t pass comment on prospective trades. Goaltending is a numbers game, have never said Lou can;t play or is a backup goalie, just that he has some bad habits that translate into game to game inconsistancies. Had he continued(last season) with Melansons recommendations , he probably would not be on the trading block, but he regressed to Francois allaire teachings which are no longer a fit for Lou. As for Dubnyk, I watched him a few times last season and see a lot of upsides . He was a first round pick for a reason and my opinion had nothing to do with that ! some people obviously saw him as a talent. His SP was only .005 behind Lou. playing on bottom feeding Oilers while Lou was on President Cup winning team. Because I'd pick him over Lou is not a diss on Lou but an endorsement on Dubnyk. I'm willing to bet, of all my critics, not one is a goaltender, goaltender coach or has any real understanding of the position. Teams have goalie coaches because, even NHL coaches don;t understand the science. Its taken me a lot of years to gain my knowledge and a lot many more how to apply it to my students.

#846 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,361 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

Niether of those get accepted.

They both will and a coin toss will decide which one goes through.

Subbancopy.jpg

#847 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

I only ever comment on goaltending, its what I know. I don;t profess to know about good or bad trades for Lou and don;t pass comment on prospective trades. Goaltending is a numbers game, have never said Lou can;t play or is a backup goalie, just that he has some bad habits that translate into game to game inconsistancies. Had he continued(last season) with Melansons recommendations , he probably would not be on the trading block, but he regressed to Francois allaire teachings which are no longer a fit for Lou. As for Dubnyk, I watched him a few times last season and see a lot of upsides . He was a first round pick for a reason and my opinion had nothing to do with that ! some people obviously saw him as a talent. His SP was only .005 behind Lou. playing on bottom feeding Oilers while Lou was on President Cup winning team. Because I'd pick him over Lou is not a diss on Lou but an endorsement on Dubnyk. I'm willing to bet, of all my critics, not one is a goaltender, goaltender coach or has any real understanding of the position. Teams have goalie coaches because, even NHL coaches don;t understand the science. Its taken me a lot of years to gain my knowledge and a lot many more how to apply it to my students.

It is better to know a little about everything than everything about a little.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 07 November 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#848 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,850 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

It is better to know a little about everything than everything about a little.

"Jack of all trades, master of none"???
Posted Image

#849 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,850 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

While Luongo may have dropped off and Schneider may have had good outings, the sample sizes are just too small to make sweeping projections that Schneider's already better than Luongo. Luongo could bring up his play again after a trade and Schneider could falter under a higher workload. You can't discount how the team was playing in front of each goalie as well.

I'm not saying it won't be the case in future, as it could be, just that we don't know for sure yet. What we do know is Luongo is much more accomplished to this point, and my opinion is he'd handle a tough situation better than Schneider at this point in their careers.

You never know "for sure". But the team makes an educated assessment, and gives their "best guess".

For example, Patrick Marleau and Logan Couture produced at about the same level last season. Marleau outproduced Couture the season prior. Let's say the Sharks decide that there is only room for one of them on their roster...which should they keep? Going forward, who is the better option? Marleau is far more established, and won gold at the 2010 Olympics. But you won't find an informed fan in the league (let alone a GM) who would take Marleau over Couture. Maybe some long-time Sharks fans will be sentimental and say Marleau, but anybody who analyzes the situation will think it's a no-brainer - the obvious choice is Couture.

Why? Age, for one. Couture has improved each year, while Marleau is showing signs of decline. And even if Couture's advancement stops, at Marleau's age and games played, he's almost assured to suffer further declines in performance in the next few years.

Secondly, although Marleau has been one of the most consistent regular season performers in the league (in the last 8 seasons, he's only failed to score 28 goals once), there's been consistency issues in the playoffs. Check out his production in his last four playoff series:

2012 - vs. St. Louis - 0 points
2011 - vs. Vancouver - 7 points
2011 - vs. Detroit - 1 point
2011 - vs. LA - 5 points

There are the optics of the situation. Can the Sharks really come back with the same key players - a year older - and sell it as a team that might win the cup? Then there is the possible drama of keeping the former captain around after he was stripped of the captaincy - Sharks management and players may publicly deny it, but does it have a negative effect?

Despite the differences in goaltenders and skaters, the similarities between Marleau/Couture and Luongo/Schneider are very similar. (Although, with goaltenders, the problems and roster log-jams are far more pressing.) Luongo seems to have plateaued, and will likely decline further in the next few years, while Schneider is already excellent and may get even better. Roberto has given us fantastic regular seasons, and some outstanding playoff series, but has come up lame in other series (far worse for a goaltender than for a skater). And the optics and drama of keeping Lu at this point cannot be ignored.

So even though there are no "for sure"s in this, to me it's a no-brainer. You absolutely keep Couture/Schneider, and move Marleau/Luongo. And that's coming from a guy with a #1 jersey in his closet.

Edited by D-Money, 07 November 2012 - 04:05 PM.

Posted Image

#850 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,190 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

They both will and a coin toss will decide which one goes through.

I wish, those deals are great for us. But sadly Burkie won't do em.

zackass.png

#851 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

I'd rather keep Schneider, Tanev, Ballard and the 1st than take on Phaneuf and Lombardi - even if it does get us Rielly.

I don't know why so many want to include Phaneuf, the Leafs captain and one of Burke's poster boys for truculence. C_H_101's proposal earlier is at least not far from what I'd do, but this one takes away the one piece I'd truly like in Rielly and we give up more from our side as well. No thanks to this deal.

Sorry can't let this misinformation pass. Lou is NOT more accomplished than Schneider, Schneiders skill level is much higher than Lou's and his fundamentals are what make him so dependable. I will agree that time will tell how well he does in the longterm but last year he blew away Lou in all stats. Lou has proven that he is not mentally strong in the playoffs, being hot or cold. As for the team playing better in front of Schneider...Schneider directs rebounds better than Lou, seals off the net better,and does less flopping. Lou loses his stick virtually every game, gets pulled once every 11 games. The team plays better because Schneider makes it easier to play in front of. Your post shows you really don;t know what you watch.

#852 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,190 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

POPULAR

Sorry can't let this misinformation pass. Lou is NOT more accomplished than Schneider, Schneiders skill level is much higher than Lou's and his fundamentals are what make him so dependable. I will agree that time will tell how well he does in the longterm but last year he blew away Lou in all stats. Lou has proven that he is not mentally strong in the playoffs, being hot or cold. As for the team playing better in front of Schneider...Schneider directs rebounds better than Lou, seals off the net better,and does less flopping. Lou loses his stick virtually every game, gets pulled once every 11 games. The team plays better because Schneider makes it easier to play in front of. Your post shows you really don;t know what you watch.

Actually yes he is, maybe you just don't know what more accomplished means.

Luongo: Gold Medal, Proven All-Star, Multiple time Vezina Finalists, Played 60+ Games, a Jennings, 2 President's Trophies (1 As a starter/ 1 as Tandem), Taken a team to the Finals.

Schneider: Had some great regular season games as a back-up/tandem, one playoff Win, a Jennings. 1 Pres Trophy (as a tandem).

Say what you want about who is better right now, Schneids is probably just as good, maybe a tad better in some areas, and I'm a fan of both, but Luongo is definetly the more accomplished of the two, I'm not sure how it's debatable.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 07 November 2012 - 04:54 PM.

zackass.png

#853 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,210 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

Sorry can't let this misinformation pass. Lou is NOT more accomplished than Schneider

You didn't just say that, did you? If so then you have just lost all credibility with that dumb statement. Luongo has an Olympic Gold Medal, multiple Vezina nominations, a Jennings Trophy, and has carried his team to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Out of that list Schneider only has a Jennings.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

#854 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,851 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

So even though there are no "for sure"s in this, to me it's a no-brainer. You absolutely keep Couture/Schneider, and move Marleau/Luongo. And that's coming from a guy with a #1 jersey in his closet.

And Ottawa drafted Yashin, Daigle and Bonk with top 3 draft picks in consecutive years. Daigle had 51 points in 84 games his first season. How many of those players have gone on to become celebrated names in Senators history?

I'm just saying things can go south, and you downplay Luongo's value to this team too much. Cory could be awesome for us going forward, but we aren't going to throw him away for nothing since we have someone newer and shinier.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#855 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

You didn't just say that, did you? If so then you have just lost all credibility with that dumb statement. Luongo has an Olympic Gold Medal, multiple Vezina nominations, a Jennings Trophy, and has carried his team to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Out of that list Schneider only has a Jennings.

I don't question Lou's past Accomplishments , however, I use the term accomplished as in accomplished in the craft of goaltending. At this point in time, from a technical sense, Schneider is more accomplished .

#856 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,190 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

I don't question Lou's past Accomplishments , however, I use the term accomplished as in accomplished in the craft of goaltending. At this point in time, from a technical sense, Schneider is more accomplished .

Wrong again.

Technically Luongo has more wins, was drafted higher, has had more vezina nominations, played more games, so in the craft of goaltending he has accomplished more.

There's nothing else you can really say that will save this argument.

zackass.png

#857 CHodgson9

CHodgson9

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

Your word choices are poor then. Either way, Luongo is still a more proven commodity than anyone we've ever had, and we still have yet to see Schneider play the #1 role. I believe Schneids will be great, but to attempt any disrepute of what Luongo has done for this team is nothing short of stupid.

He's anchored our leap from bad NHL team to perennial contender, and allowed the Sedins and Kesler time to mature into their Current roles.
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Ghandi

#858 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Wrong again.

Technically Luongo has more wins, was drafted higher, has had more vezina nominations, played more games, so in the craft of goaltending he has accomplished more.

Wrong again.

google the definition of accomplished ya flake

#859 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

I understand how you're using the word accomplished to describe talent and skillset. I do however disagree that Schneider is more accomplished (talented, skilled) than Luongo. They both have unbelievable talent, though due to the small sample of accomplishments (history) regarding Schneider, which rests on other aspects of the game such as determination, heart, will, hardware, prolonged stats, time and other such intangibles, one cannot truly measure Schneider's accomplichment (talent) until he becomes as accomplished (history) as Luongo. Until then, Luongo wins on any team.

The Canucks are at a crossroads that will determine the fate of the franchise for the next decade. One playoff win and a handful of spectacular regular seasons from Schneider ought not to be the determining factor to "dump" an elite goaltender who needs a number one defenseman in front of him, on a playoff scoring starved team with a soft side for embellishment.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 07 November 2012 - 08:06 PM.

#860 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,617 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

You've been a part of hockey for 47 years and you don't even know hockey terms. No wonder these debates go south so often.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#861 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Your word choices are poor then. Either way, Luongo is still a more proven commodity than anyone we've ever had, and we still have yet to see Schneider play the #1 role. I believe Schneids will be great, but to attempt any disrepute of what Luongo has done for this team is nothing short of stupid.

He's anchored our leap from bad NHL team to perennial contender, and allowed the Sedins and Kesler time to mature into their Current roles.

Read back, I have not belittled what Luongo has done and respect his past contributions as a player, team mate and community leader, but, Schneider is better now..

#862 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,210 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

Pretty sure the definition of accomplished is exactly what Smashian just explained...ya flake.

#863 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

Read back, I have not belittled what Luongo has done and respect his past contributions as a player, team mate and community leader, but, Schneider is better now..

True, Schneider is now better. The problem is you and King think he is worthless and not a good goalie anymore. The fact is, over half the league would love to have Lu as their started. He still has good value.

All rumors seem to point to TO. Gillis has to get Rielly or Gardiner back in the deal.

#864 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

I think its pretty simple. The fans and media (and myself included in this) really do undervalue Lou. Don't forget it was only 2 years ago that NHL players said he was the toughest goalie to score on. He has been a great player for vancouver, our best goalie in history and if we didn't have a great young stud behind him, no one would be saying boo...

He did get to game 7, he did win a gold medal, and he has been a vezina candidate twice and a hart once correct? he is not crap and fans in this city should at least show some respect to him on the way out. Not only for the way he played and what he gave us to watch, but how he lifted a crap team to a contender, his leadership and his incredible sense of giving in the community. He is a great hockey player, a great man, a great canuck, and has had enough slagging from people.

Give the man some respect, at least on the way out.

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 07 November 2012 - 11:03 PM.

#865 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

True, Schneider is now better. The problem is you and King think he is worthless and not a good goalie anymore. The fact is, over half the league would love to have Lu as their started. He still has good value.

All rumors seem to point to TO. Gillis has to get Rielly or Gardiner back in the deal.

I agree but I have a hard time thinking Burkey will part with one of those. Would love to see Reilly come back though.

#866 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,190 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

I guess I deserved that one, could have been a bit less obnoxious.

Anyways here it is:

completed; done; effected: an accomplished fact.

I don't think this changes anything, Roberto has completed and done more in his career thus far than Cory.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 07 November 2012 - 11:15 PM.

zackass.png

#867 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:24 AM

Nope, you are wrong. I think he's a very good goalie, but to other teams he's just not worth that much, due to external factors like age and contract. When Sheldon Souray was summarily dumped by Edmonton, it wasn't because he wasn't good enough to play in the NHL, it was because other teams didn't think that the value that he brought justified the cost of his contract. That's the only reason why he was ever in the AHL. Same with Wade Redden. It's really not all that different in this case with Luongo, who's still very good, but who still carries with him a 9-year commitment at big dollars.

If you think we're going to get Morgan Rielly or Jake Gardiner out of Luongo, you are dreaming. Good as he is (Luongo), he's 33 years old, has a shaky reputation, and has 9 years left on his deal which pays him $5.2M per year. Jaroslav Halak, in 2009-10, was 24 years old, went 26-13-5, had 5 SO, a .924 SVP, led his 8th seed Montreal Canadiens to the ECF, and then was only able to yield Lars Eller and Ian Schultz. Please explain to me how Roberto Luongo is going to land Morgan Rielly.

Edited by King of the ES, 08 November 2012 - 04:27 AM.

#868 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

Conversely, many rookies also have inflated stats playing on top teams, which in my opinion, is Schneider's case. Put both Luongo and Schneider in Edmonton or Toronto and Luongo comes up on top every single time. We ought to be careful what we wish for. Luongo is proven; Schneider is unproven. See both resumes for factual proof.

Let's have a look at this past season then. Shouldn't Luongo's stats have been much better than Schneider's? In reality they were miles apart with Schneider being way ahead. Now your'e saying that if they both played on a crap team that Luongo would look so much better? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

#869 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,850 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

If you think we're going to get Morgan Rielly or Jake Gardiner out of Luongo, you are dreaming. Good as he is (Luongo), he's 33 years old, has a shaky reputation, and has 9 years left on his deal which pays him $5.2M per year. Jaroslav Halak, in 2009-10, was 24 years old, went 26-13-5, had 5 SO, a .924 SVP, led his 8th seed Montreal Canadiens to the ECF, and then was only able to yield Lars Eller and Ian Schultz. Please explain to me how Roberto Luongo is going to land Morgan Rielly.

I too doubt that we'll be able to get a top-tier prospect like Morgan Rielly. However, Luongo's value is higher than Halak's.

Halak wasn't signed, wanted big dough, and was threatening to go play in Europe if he didn't get what he wanted. He was a 9th round pick who came off a pretty good season, and a very good playoffs (flat-out stole some games, but was sketchy in a few others). Nobody was quite sure what he was going to pan out as. He was a valued young goalie, but not as much as Schneider, who has had better stats in the past 2 seasons than Halak ever had.

Lu's contract and age decrease his value, but I still expect a package for him that is better than what Montreal got for Jaro.

Edited by D-Money, 08 November 2012 - 09:12 AM.

Posted Image

#870 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

Actually yes he is, maybe you just don't know what more accomplished means.

Luongo: Gold Medal, Proven All-Star, Multiple time Vezina Finalists, Played 60+ Games, a Jennings, 2 President's Trophies (1 As a starter/ 1 as Tandem), Taken a team to the Finals.

Schneider: Had some great regular season games as a back-up/tandem, one playoff Win, a Jennings. 1 Pres Trophy (as a tandem).

Say what you want about who is better right now, Schneids is probably just as good, maybe a tad better in some areas, and I'm a fan of both, but Luongo is definetly the more accomplished of the two, I'm not sure how it's debatable.

Without Schneider's 16 wins in 2011, we dont necessarily win the PT now do we? I would say that's a tandem win as well.
Luongo won an Olympic gold medal...on a team complete with superstars! He was good but not the reason that Canada won, barely.
As for Luongo "taking this team to the Final", this bothers me greatly. You make it seem like we were an underdog team who had no business there. We won the PT by a landslide and were favorites to win the Stanley Cup while having a 2-0 and 3-2 lead in that sereis. Luongo did not "take us there" which implies that he got hot and did it all himself (ala Kiprusoff in 2004). No he got lit up by Chicago for a 3rd year in a row, stared down a Nashville team that cant score at the best of times, beat the chokers from San Jose who were injured, and got lit up by Boston 4 out of 7 games.
No, when it comes down to real dollars and cents, Luongo has not accomplished a whole hell of a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.