The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

No I'm not, and you're again adjusting the question.

You asserted that Lu was a "massive upgrade" over Dubnyk. The stats don't support this, so what does? History? OK, but all that means is that Lu has likely seen his best days already, while Dubnyk has not.

What's your argument? Why is he a "massive upgrade"?

Gold medals etc are in the past , no one refutes Lous past accomplishments. Put Lou on the Oilers and dubnyk on the Canucks and see how the stats turn around ! I'll be glad when this is over and you Lou lovers can root for wherever he plays, cuz you can't reason his case !

I'm not adjusting the question, your post looked like you were backing smurf's post.

Luongo's best days may be behind him, but Dubnyk' stats over his career have looked like this:

2009-10: 3.57 GAA, .889 SV%

2010-11: 2.71 GAA, .916 SV%

2011-12: 2.67 GAA, .914 SV%

He is improving, but he is a good back up at best.

Its common sense to know that Luongo is a massive upgrade on Dubnyk.

Lu would be a massive upgrade. Look at GAA and SV% all you want, the only real stat that matters is Wins, a stat Luongo is tied for most in a single season. Head to Head I'm pretty sure any hockey analyst ever would take Luongo over Dubnyk. Even a GAA difference of .2 is quite significant over a season. Luongo is the better goalie, and yes by a mile.

Lu would be a massive upgrade. Look at GAA and SV% all you want, the only real stat that matters is Wins, a stat Luongo is tied for most in a single season. Head to Head I'm pretty sure any hockey analyst ever would take Luongo over Dubnyk. Even a GAA difference of .2 is quite significant over a season. Luongo is the better goalie, and yes by a mile.

If wins is the only real stat that matters, where do you rank Chris Osgood on the all-time list? The fact that Dubnyk had a .500 winning percentage last year is almost unbelievable; Khabibulin, meanwhile was 8 games below that mark.

And sure, head-to-head, today, anyone with half a brain would choose Luongo as their goalie before they'd choose Dubnyk. But would they choose Luongo with the knowledge that he's 7 years older, maybe past his prime, and under contract at $5.3M per year until 2022? These are when the other variables - ie, age and commitment - come into play. This is why Oiler fans are talking about cap dump scenarios in acquiring him. Do you really want Ales Hemsky or Shawn Horcoff, and their contracts? I've seen proposals in this thread that have us getting back RNH and Yakupov - downright laughable.

What do you really think that Edmonton would give up for this "massive upgrade"?

I'm not adjusting the question, your post looked like you were backing smurf's post.

Luongo's best days may be behind him, but Dubnyk' stats over his career have looked like this:

2009-10: 3.57 GAA, .889 SV%

2010-11: 2.71 GAA, .916 SV%

2011-12: 2.67 GAA, .914 SV%

He is improving, but he is a good back up at best.

Its common sense to know that Luongo is a massive upgrade on Dubnyk.

Hey smurf, remember 2006-07? Luongo's first year as a Canuck? Remember how he almost single-handedly took us to the second round? Could Dubnyk do that? Very doubtful.

Again...I say...no one is questioning Luongos career but to base your argument on 06-07...5 years ago stats...is no up to date thinking.....and again....what numbers would Lou have posted playing for the weak Oilers over the same period....nice try...but no cigar...but then again...yur too young to buy cigars !!

And that's what I'm trying to get at! Vancouver in 2006-07 were a defense-first team, didn't have that great of a defense, and barely produced enough offense to win. Canucks acquire Luongo and he turns the team around and dominates up until the Anaheim series. Edmonton is in the same situation the Canucks were in back then. Put Luongo between Edmonton's pipes and watch the Oilers success begin.

If wins is the only real stat that matters, where do you rank Chris Osgood on the all-time list? The fact that Dubnyk had a .500 winning percentage last year is almost unbelievable; Khabibulin, meanwhile was 8 games below that mark.

And sure, head-to-head, today, anyone with half a brain would choose Luongo as their goalie before they'd choose Dubnyk. But would they choose Luongo with the knowledge that he's 7 years older, maybe past his prime, and under contract at $5.3M per year until 2022? These are when the other variables - ie, age and commitment - come into play. This is why Oiler fans are talking about cap dump scenarios in acquiring him. Do you really want Ales Hemsky or Shawn Horcoff, and their contracts? I've seen proposals in this thread that have us getting back RNH and Yakupov - downright laughable.

What do you really think that Edmonton would give up for this "massive upgrade"?

Dubnyk is a pretty good goalie. Luongo is obviously better.

I don't see how cap hit is an issue. Dubnyk's cap hit is already 3.5, so Lu would only be a 1.8 mil increase to that. And if Dubnyk plays decently over the next two years, his contract will be up, and he'll likely cost 5.3 (or more) at that point.

The main issues to such a deal are the potential backfiring that comes with dealing to a divisional rival, Lu's NTC, and Edmonton's more pressing need for quality defensemen. THOSE are the reasons Luongo won't be traded to Edmonton.

Luongo was our best player last season, (And Schneids too, our tandem was our MVP's) and if you disagree you are either:

1) Crazy/refuse to believe the truth

2) Dont know anything about hockey

3) or you didnt watch all the games

Luongo was our best player, we were bad after the eastern road swing, even terrible at times, and Luongo (and Schneids I must say), put up great perfeormences and carried our buts the rest of the way, and in the playoffs aswell.

now he is was our best player, and carried us at times. If he did all that on the presidents trophy winning team, don't you think that he would be just as good, and stand out just as much if not better on Edmonton?

Think about it?

Archived