The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

http://blogs.edmonto...e-some-players/

Lowe ready to move in order to grab one or two pieces Oilers need to contend

Oilers hockey operations boss Kevin Lowe was on Oilers Now with Oilers radio colour man Bob Stauffer on Thursday. A number of topics were covered including the “Wow” trade that Stauffer has been hinting about on his show, a deal that would presumably see the Oilers bring in what sounds like a veteran star in return for prospects and picks.

On the show, Stauffer, an Oilers employee and insider, suggested that no one for a second would contemplate trading any of the Big Four up front (Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov), but with so many young assets, perhaps there was a way to expedite the process (by way of a trade) of turning around the Oilers.

“You’re going into a game with lots of trump cards,” Lowe said. “That’s the only way you can make deals is if you have assets that are attractive to other teams. When you have assets then you can make deals.

“So, absolutely, we’re at some point, whenever that is, we’re probably not too far down the road, we’re going to have to make some touch choices and maybe move some players, or a player, draft picks, to get a piece or two that finishes off the formation of what you feel is a championship team. I mean, we need to get to the playoffs first (laughed) so you can’t put the cart ahead of the horse, but no question. I don’t talk to managers on a regular basis any more, that’s Steve Tambellini’s job, but I do know from my past experiences that we won’t have a tough job selling anybody on anybody that we have in the event we’re interested in a player on another team.”

The new CBA could make it easier to make trades, Lowe added.

Defence and goal are question marks

Stauffer asked what the biggest question mark about the team going into the season.

“There’s a number of them. Are we strong enough defence? Goaltending is a question mark, and I say that in all respect to Devan Dubnyk and Khabi (Nikolai Khabibulin). Khabi has been injured and he’s approaching 40. He’s given us stretches of strong goaltending but his health is one thing.”

Dubnyk is trending upward, Lowe said, “but he’s got to go out and prove it now if he’s going to take over the Number One job.”

Lou's stats were middle of the pack on a 1st place team, near bottom on shootouts, Schneiders stats were at the top.....If Luongo was our best player,,,,then we were a sorry bunch indeed !! The only way Lou looked good was to lump him with Schneider who carried his bag.

For people who actually follow the Canucks you should notice 2 things.

1.Luongo had one of his worst first 15 games of the season ever. His GAA approached 3.00

2. January-April he had perhaps his best stretch of hockey ever. I don't have the numbers, but he averaged a GAA close to 2.00

I wish someone smarter than me could crunch these numbers but Luongo is still one if the best goalies in the game.

Turn back time- say March- any team in the league aside of 5 or so would have given their left nut for Luongo.

At the deadline Burke would have traded Gardiner for Luongo in a heartbeat.

I'm pretty sure at some point, Steve Tambo spoke to MIke Gillis, as they are pretty close friends, in regards to Luongo in a business stand point. Obviously, MIke Gillis has said in the past, if a trade makes sense he will do it, wether it's a division rival or not, he even offered up Hodgson to Division Rival Colorado for Landaskogg. Anything can happen. For me, I just want Mike Gillis to make the right trade. I don't really give a damn if Luongo ends up to a division rival if a good deal is coming our way. No question about it.

No question Lou has still got it. Take the first month out of the equation and his numbers for the rest of the season were every bit as good as Schneider's. We had zero business winning the prez trophy this year were it not for those two taking turns robbing everybody in sight in the second half when the offence disappeared.

Big, big risk for Mikey anyway he goes. Been thinking about that series clincher (so-so) goal by LA against Schneider, and how it would have felt were it Luango in net. Not liking where such train of thought leads. Burkie's "goalie graveyard" comment is still as true as ever.

Speaking of which, him and Gillis both took in a Heat-Marlies game today. Maybe the focus really ought to be there. Haven't heard anyting new from the buds and their fans for a couple of days. Time for them to educate us on the untouchability of the likes of Finn. :)

No question Lou has still got it. Take the first month out of the equation and his numbers for the rest of the season were every bit as good as Schneider's. We had zero business winning the prez trophy this year were it not for those two taking turns robbing everybody in sight in the second half when the offence disappeared.

Big, big risk for Mikey anyway he goes. Been thinking about that series clincher (so-so) goal by LA against Schneider, and how it would have felt were it Luango in net. Not liking where such train of thought leads. Burkie's "goalie graveyard" comment is still as true as ever.

Speaking of which, him and Gillis both took in a Heat-Marlies game today. Maybe the focus really ought to be there. Haven't heard anyting new from the buds and their fans for a couple of days. Time for them to educate us on the untouchability of the likes of Finn. :)

Do you mean the one where the Canucks were two men short? No I didn't. I saw a team take five more penalties in 11 minutes, but thanks to strong goaltending, the game remained tied.

Then I saw Byron Bitz take a 5 minute penalty, during which a Willie Mitchell point shot was deflected past Luongo by Sammy Pahlsson.

But the Canucks still did not "deflate". Alex Edler tied the game a short time later. It was a late (and lucky) bounce that gave the winning goal to Dustin Penner....

Soft goal from behind the goal line is Luongos nightmare, Richards knew where to shoot on him if Lou kept that out and the Canucks beat the 5 on 3 the outcome of that game would have been probably different. The team did in fact deflate and played like crap after that goal. I have been a big Luongo supporter but those weak behind the net goals he lets in are game killers. Smart players know if you shoot at his feet from bad angles you have a good chance it will go in. Enough is enough.

Luongo, Ballard, Raymond, 1st

Gardiner, Colborne, Kulemin

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Kassian

Kulemin-Lapierre-Hansen

Colborne-Malhotra-Higgins

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Gardiner Tanev

Connauton

Schneider