The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

So now Sekaras (team1040) joins the ranks of those with a "trustworthy acquaintance" with ties to the Leafs who claim it is a “done deal.”

Took in the 2nd of the back-to-back Heat-Marlies game and kept an eye on the usual suspects:

Gardiner - silky smooth as advertised. Has Tanev like frame and efficiency in his own zone but the similarities stop there. Much more developed offensive instinct; pinches a lot but seems to get away with it. No wonder MG asked for him, seeing as he’s the only bona fide NHLer on the baby Leafs.

Blacker - a young, RH D man that some (mostly Leaf fans) have thrown out there. Mobility seemed suspect but otherwise did not stand out any one way.

Kadri - has a chippy element in his game and gets in on the hitting, but he goes down a little too often when he has the puck. Offensive creativity was absent today and his passing was a dog’s breakfast. Has 2 seasons of PPG at this level so maybe it was just an off night. I suppose the top 6 upside can’t be dismissed just yet on account of his age, but he better not be the centerpiece of any deal. At present, tapping his stick to call for a pass is the only area where he compares favorably with our usual 2nd line centre.

Colborne - 6’5” centre with alleged scoring upside. Alas, tonight, outside of maybe one good pass and a late wraparound attempt he did not show it. Played with Kadri but there was no chemistry. Classic gentle giant; I got the impression that he’s the kind of guy that players of smaller stature like to hit to establish their willingness to mix it up with big guys street cred. Not a good sign.

Ashton - big winger that skates well, works hard, is OK with rough stuff, and has enough sense to get open for chances. This one could pose a credible challenge for our 4th liners; wouldn’t mind him as a throw in.

All in all, here’s hoping that Mikey scores some actual roster players, draft picks or junior prospects.

So now Sekaras (team1040) joins the ranks of those with a "trustworthy acquaintance" with ties to the Leafs who claim it is a “done deal.”

Took in the 2nd of the back-to-back Heat-Marlies game and kept an eye on the usual suspects:

Gardiner - silky smooth as advertised. Has Tanev like frame and efficiency in his own zone but the similarities stop there. Much more developed offensive instinct; pinches a lot but seems to get away with it. No wonder MG asked for him, seeing as he’s the only bona fide NHLer on the baby Leafs.

Blacker - a young, RH D man that some (mostly Leaf fans) have thrown out there. Mobility seemed suspect but otherwise did not stand out any one way.

Kadri - has a chippy element in his game and gets in on the hitting, but he goes down a little too often when he has the puck. Offensive creativity was absent today and his passing was a dog’s breakfast. Has 2 seasons of PPG at this level so maybe it was just an off night. I suppose the top 6 upside can’t be dismissed just yet on account of his age, but he better not be the centerpiece of any deal. At present, tapping his stick to call for a pass is the only area where he compares favorably with our usual 2nd line centre.

Colborne - 6’5” centre with alleged scoring upside. Alas, tonight, outside of maybe one good pass and a late wraparound attempt he did not show it. Played with Kadri but there was no chemistry. Classic gentle giant; I got the impression that he’s the kind of guy that players of smaller stature like to hit to establish their willingness to mix it up with big guys street cred. Not a good sign.

Ashton - big winger that skates well, works hard, is OK with rough stuff, and has enough sense to get open for chances. This one could pose a credible challenge for our 4th liners; wouldn’t mind him as a throw in.

All in all, here’s hoping that Mikey scores some actual roster players, draft picks or junior prospects.

I have watched several of the Marlowe games and have been thoroughly unimpressed with all of the players except Gardiner.

The only worthwhile players the leafs can offer are Gardiner and Reilly aside from Kessel and Lupul.

Not sure what deal we are getting with the leafs...Matt Fratin? A first?

Do we really think Gillis is dumb enough to accept Bozak and Colborne or Bozak and Carter for Luongo?

I rather Zhollis trade him to Chicago for Bolland and Beach/ Hayes

So not only is MPS for Lu a bad trade, the Canucks are gonna throw in Ballard too, wow. Lecav and Lu is a terrible comparaison. Goaltending is a more important position. Lu is still a top goalie, Lecav isn't even close to where he used to be. Their salary and caphit isn't close. Goaltenders are know to play at a higher level for longer than forwards.

Also, Kassian brings a lot more to the table than MPS. MPS doesn't have a physical side. 10 out of 10 GMs would choose Kassian over MPS.

Has anybody ever agreed with your assessments.

Getting rid of Ballard is a benefit to the Canucks - this way, they're not on the hook for $4.2M payable to their 5th - 7th defenceman over the next 3 seasons. The weakness of Edmonton's D might make them receptive to taking on Ballard.

Kassian does not "bring a lot more to the table" than MPS. They were drafted in the same year, MPS 3 spots ahead. Kassian's more physical, MPS is more offensively gifted. And now that Kassian's lost all this weight, they're basically even the same size (MPS listed at 204 pounds). So how does he "bring a lot more to the table", exactly? Because he's a Canuck?

That's not the point. Burke is not going to give up his best defenseman for a long contract goalie who is 33 and is now our backup. Negotiating is understanding the other side's weakness/strengths. MG doesn't have a ton of bargaining power but also won't give up Lou for nothing.

I live in T.O and Gardiner is going to be a terrific player. And he certainly is their best offensive Dman. That's why it wouldn't happen.

Some of the other comments on here I agree with in regards to other players Colborne, Kadri, wouldn't want them. The prob with trading with the leafs is they really don't have much to offer that they can/willing to part with, that's why they suck, they have little on their roster and nothing in terms of youth.

Players who we should target:

Gardiner - for sure but he's going nowhere

Grabovsky - Terrific player who brings effort and skill everynight, the talented skilled player we're missing on the second line. With JVR moving to center he maybe can be moved, but my guess is Burke would prefer to move Bozak and argue he's a first line center when he's really not, just plays on the first line with Kessel and Lupul.

Bozak - part of the deal but can't be the key piece, solid player but at best a third line player in Vancouver

Franson - Size, from BC

Other than that, they have little to offer other than picks...

My 'fair' deal for the Nucks

Lou, Ballard and a 2nd pick for

Grabovsky and Franson and a 3rd

That's not the point. Burke is not going to give up his best defenseman for a long contract goalie who is 33 and is now our backup. Negotiating is understanding the other side's weakness/strengths. MG doesn't have a ton of bargaining power but also won't give up Lou for nothing.

I live in T.O and Gardiner is going to be a terrific player. And he certainly is their best offensive Dman. That's why it wouldn't happen.

Some of the other comments on here I agree with in regards to other players Colborne, Kadri, wouldn't want them. The prob with trading with the leafs is they really don't have much to offer that they can/willing to part with, that's why they suck, they have little on their roster and nothing in terms of youth.

Players who we should target:

Gardiner - for sure but he's going nowhere

Grabovsky - Terrific player who brings effort and skill everynight, the talented skilled player we're missing on the second line. With JVR moving to center he maybe can be moved, but my guess is Burke would prefer to move Bozak and argue he's a first line center when he's really not, just plays on the first line with Kessel and Lupul.

Bozak - part of the deal but can't be the key piece, solid player but at best a third line player in Vancouver

Franson - Size, from BC

Other than that, they have little to offer other than picks...

My 'fair' deal for the Nucks

Lou, Ballard and a 2nd pick for

Grabovsky and Franson and a 3rd

Soft goal from behind the goal line is Luongos nightmare, Richards knew where to shoot on him if Lou kept that out and the Canucks beat the 5 on 3 the outcome of that game would have been probably different. The team did in fact deflate and played like crap after that goal. I have been a big Luongo supporter but those weak behind the net goals he lets in are game killers. Smart players know if you shoot at his feet from bad angles you have a good chance it will go in. Enough is enough.

Was MPS also drafted for his bone crushing hits, willingness to drop the gloves with anyone and nasty mean streak on top of his top-six skill set? Because that's what got Kassian drafted in the 1st round.

The only areas in common the two players might have is their ability to protect the puck and their skating.

And what do you mean by MPS having 'much more of an impact in the NHL thus far'? I don't see him helping the Oilers make the playoffs over the last couple of years.

Also, you can't really argue that MPS has made more of an impact than Kassian has because Zack has played less games in the NHL than Paajarvi has (83 > 44)

Archived