The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

They play for teams at opposite ends of team spectrum dog breath ! Ask yourself...what numbers would Dubnyk post on the Canucks and what numbers would Lou post playing or the botton feeder Oilers. No comparison on the 2 teams at all...

He may possibly post similar numbers to Luongo. On a president's trophy team sometimes any decent goalie, and pretty much all the players will look pretty good. I can't believe you think at this point in time Luongo doesn't have more upside in terms of pedigree and the stature he brings to the rink along with his skillset, especially for an up and coming team. So you're saying if you had a choice you'd take Dubynk over Luongo straight up? Luongo beat him in pretty much every category last year so to basically pick a last place goalie that hasn't been great on a bad defensive team, without terribly good numbers is pretty unfair to someone in Luongo's position. This viewpoint is either incredibly astute, completely ignorant, or just completely biased, and most definitely unfounded and speculative at best.

It seems obvious to me that only someone who has an axe to grind would make such an odd comparison and statement.

And with regards to your statement I said that Luongo played very well last year, not that Dubnyk couldn't post good numbers on the Canucks or a better team. I've watched every game the Canucks have played in the past 4 years minus what I could count on my fingers and if you couldn't see that Lou played very well considering everything that has occurred you are either blind, don't watch the games, or see what you want. For the record I bashed Lou a bit at times I'll admit it, I'm no fan boy and I favor Schnieder but the level of senseless comments regarding this situation is beyond comprehension sometimes.

Luongo was the second best goaltender on the Canucks, not because he played poorly though. Schneider put on a clinic.

His save percentage of .937 was only beat by Elliot's .940 - nobody else (who played more than a few games) even came close. And then his .960 save percentage in the playoffs - although in limited duty - was the best in the league by a wide margin.

Schneider is the real deal. He's cheaper and younger too. That is why Luongo is available. Not because he isn't significantly better than at least half of the starting goaltenders in the league - ESPECIALLY than the scrubs the Leafs and Oilers have.

I think one of these days King is just going to say "GOTCHA" in regards to this flaming/trolling. No one in their right mind would believe Dubnyk is better than Luongo, or that Dubnyk has a higher upside. Same goes for Paajarvi, he'll be an NHLer but even Edmonton isn't over the moon with him. I'm starting to think this is all just incendiary.

Nope. You're wrong again. I think there is absolutely no chance in hell that the Canucks would accept Paajarvi for Luongo - let alone throw in Ballard as well.

Paajarvi is a one-trick wonder - if he isn't scoring, he isn't much of a hockey player. The same goes for your uber-soft Michael Frolik. Ironic that you'd suggest adding so much more soft to the roster.

I guess I'll have to repeat myself - as usual where you are concerned - the guy you refer to as "some other d" is Petrovic - he's a big, physical right handed blueliner with a huge shot and a mean streak - the very type of prospect the Canucks could use to add balance to their pool of d prospects. Bjugstad is a center (aren't you the guy who considers Schroeder a bust?) - while Paajarvi is yet another left wing. In case you are as oblivious as you appear to be, the Canucks already have a few guys who are natural left wings on the roster - Daniel, Booth, Burrows, Higgins, and Raymond. Great idea you have there King - let's use the Luongo return to land a 6th roster left winger. DUH. Paajarvi and Frolik would be misfits who'd be lucky to crack the roster.

Oh, you have a big problem with the third piece I proposed in that deal, but that only evidences, again, that you don't know much about what you speak. Upshall's career high was 32 points - which he managed in 49 games - he's scored 177 points in 387 career games - or .46 points a game - which translates into a 38 point average over 82 games in his career - which has been riddled with bad luck and injuries. Upshall would be a great guy to take a risk on - he plays a two-way game, is a solid skater, has good hands, no shortage of grit, is a character guy who works very hard, and he actually hits people - hard. Paajarvi threw 40 hits in his 121 game career - Upshall topped that in 26 games last year, coming off an injury. Yeah - I'd be pretty willing to take a chance on a guy who scores, hits, plays hockey in his own end of the ice, adds some much valued grit to the club and is versatile - can and has played a lot of right wing. A healthy Upshall has a much better chance of playing in the top 9 or 6 than your two grossly overvalued misfits (and an unhealthy Upshall does not count against the cap). Florida sheds his salary, the Canucks take back 3.5 while 5.3 goes the other way, and the cap hit is contingent on Upshall's health.

What's your problem with the deal?

Archived