3002 replies to this topic

#121 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

only your humble opinion...and your credentials are what to evaluate Lou?

that's ironic - I haven't given an evaluation of Luo - and you haven't responded to anything of substance - which I've pointed out to you a number of times already. That hasn't stopped you from judging my "evaluation" to be wrong, which I find humorous to be honest...Up to your last post, all I've heard from you are a couple of one liners which didn't really engage any specific points.

Credentials? I suppose the next step is for you to show me how far you can piss in goaltender-speak?

Your evaluation - that the Canucks have "lost faith" in Luongo, is oblivious to the context. There would be no trade talk were it not for the emergence of Schneider. They wouldn't be considering moving Luongo were it not for the fact that Schneider has simply emerged and forced the issue - Schneider has been slowly and methodically pretty much unstoppable. It's not a question of a "lack of faith" in Luongo - the Canucks have certainly never expressed that. Luongo was the first person to suggest that he might have to move on to make room for Cory, at the conclusion of the LA series. It's an issue of a great deal of confidence in what the young goaltender has shown. That doesn't make Luongo chopped liver.

Edited by oldnews, 14 October 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#122 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

that's ironic - I haven't given an evaluation of Luo - and you haven't responded to anything of substance - which I've pointed out to you a number of times already. That hasn't stopped you from judging my "evaluation" to be wrong, which I find humorous to be honest...Up to your last post, all I've heard from you are a couple of one liners which didn't really engage any specific points.

Credentials? I suppose the next step is for you to show me how far you can piss in goaltender-speak?

Your evaluation - that the Canucks have "lost faith" in Luongo, is oblivious to the context. There would be no trade talk were it not for the emergence of Schneider. They wouldn't be considering moving Luongo were it not for the fact that Schneider has simply emerged and forced the issue - Schneider has been slowly and methodically pretty much unstoppable. It's not a question of a "lack of faith" in Luongo - the Canucks have certainly never expressed that. Luongo was the first person to suggest that he might have to move on to make room for Cory, at the conclusion of the LA series. It's an issue of a great deal of confidence in what the young goaltender has shown. That doesn't make Luongo chopped liver.

yur sounding like ES..as if you have all the answers....lack of confidence in one goes hand in hand with increased confidence in another. Lous lack, of playoff consistancy is simply a matter of record ! Lous inability to mirror schneiders stats are a result of poor form, technique and predictability. Put your emotional involvement aside and see it for what it actually is. Your opinion is no more correct than mine...its all opinions.

#123 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

Luongo thread emotions

Edited by Noheart, 14 October 2012 - 11:10 PM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#124 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

yur sounding like ES..as if you have all the answers....lack of confidence in one goes hand in hand with increased confidence in another. Lous lack, of playoff consistancy is simply a matter of record ! Lous inability to mirror schneiders stats are a result of poor form, technique and predictability. Put your emotional involvement aside and see it for what it actually is. Your opinion is no more correct than mine...its all opinions.

That's ironic. You're the one here parrotting King's points and agreeing with him. You also share the tendency to jump the gun and presume to know what another person is thinking - without referring to what they've actually said.

Are you the mini-me version of King?

I have no emotional attachment/involvement - I have never been a big Luongo fan - I prefer Schneider and think people like King who complain that Gillis didn't move Schneider earlier are out to lunch. But that doesn't change that fact that Luongo is clearly a very good goaltender. I have never considered Luongo to be the best in the world, the best in Canada, or the best in the NHL - but he is obviously not a guy you cap-dump, throw on waivers, trade for Komisarek, or fight for table scraps to get rid of - some of the crap that has been thrown around here on CDC (and in Toronto) - and that stuff is simply dense. You lack confidence in him - fine - but you lack of confidence goes hand in hand with increased confidence in another is convoluted thinking.
Luongo isn't perfect - he has technical flaws, doesn't have the greatest mental fight/game - but that doesn't change that he has accomplished things like 339 wins, lifetime .919 sv%, Olympic gold, Jennings trophy... and has been better and more consistent than the majority of NHL goaltenders. There are a whole lot of imperfect athletes - and when you are talking goaltenders, some great goaltenders have had some quirky 'technical' approaches to the game. Luongo would be an upgrade for many teams in the NHL - it's that simple.

Edited by oldnews, 14 October 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#125 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

and...maybe your assessment is wrong...Lous an aging, middle of the pack goalie with some serious flaws in his physical and mental game who has not proven to be consistant in the playoffs....whats that worth on the market? The Canucks appear to have chosen Schneids going forward...ever ask yourself why? Maybe management have lost faith in Lou....and teams will research why.

Luongo was also responsible for keeping the team in many games of the 2011 Stanley Cup run. Roberto will be traded, but the return will be significant. He is still an elite netminder regardless of his age. Seriously smurf. Being buddies with King of the ES is taking it's toll on the quality of your posts.
Posted Image

#126 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

Luongo was also responsible for keeping the team in many games of the 2011 Stanley Cup run. Roberto will be traded, but the return will be significant. He is still an elite netminder regardless of his age. Seriously smurf. Being buddies with King of the ES is taking it's toll on the quality of your posts.

agreeing with one post by es does not put me in his corner. I only commented on one point. i agree with you that Lou had some great playoff games in 2011 but he also had too many stinkers. bottom line..we didn;t get it done with him.

#127 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:22 AM

That's ironic. You're the one here parrotting King's points and agreeing with him. You also share the tendency to jump the gun and presume to know what another person is thinking - without referring to what they've actually said.

Are you the mini-me version of King?

I have no emotional attachment/involvement - I have never been a big Luongo fan - I prefer Schneider and think people like King who complain that Gillis didn't move Schneider earlier are out to lunch. But that doesn't change that fact that Luongo is clearly a very good goaltender. I have never considered Luongo to be the best in the world, the best in Canada, or the best in the NHL - but he is obviously not a guy you cap-dump, throw on waivers, trade for Komisarek, or fight for table scraps to get rid of - some of the crap that has been thrown around here on CDC (and in Toronto) - and that stuff is simply dense. You lack confidence in him - fine - but you lack of confidence goes hand in hand with increased confidence in another is convoluted thinking.
Luongo isn't perfect - he has technical flaws, doesn't have the greatest mental fight/game - but that doesn't change that he has accomplished things like 339 wins, lifetime .919 sv%, Olympic gold, Jennings trophy... and has been better and more consistent than the majority of NHL goaltenders. There are a whole lot of imperfect athletes - and when you are talking goaltenders, some great goaltenders have had some quirky 'technical' approaches to the game. Luongo would be an upgrade for many teams in the NHL - it's that simple.

agrred..Lou has a
had a great career..but hes not the goalie he was and i don;t believe he will fetch what a lot of fans believe hes worth.

#128 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

I'm predicting the Luongo trade will happen shortly after a CBA is signed. I fully expect a decent prospect and a serviceable roster player.

Judging by how our prospects are playing right now we might not need either. Schroeder, Tanev, Lack, Connauton and Kassian all look ready for the jump. Another year on Jensen and all the sudden we're stacked with home grown talent.

Once again I just hope Raymond is packaged in the deal.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#129 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:29 AM

Luongo is currently 33 yrs old. You are making a lot of assumptions in your statement, such as Luongo will be the back up. Anyone can spew an argument based on assumptions because they have no validity, they are mere speculation. I'm curious why you strongly believe Luongo's value will not rise? You seem pretty adamant on this theory, would like to hear the reasoning.

He's 34 years old in January.

It's not much of an assumption that he'll be the backup; Schneider won the starter's job in the playoffs and it's now his chance to lead the team. Most people acknowledge this, even though it may not have been stated as fact. If he wasn't going to be our starter, he probably would not have been signed to a 3 year, $12M contract. Backup goalies usually go for a little less.

As for Luongo's value not rising, of course it won't. The market is already soft, and he's now our backup. How can his value possibly rise if he does nothing but age on our bench? It won't. That's an assumption, yes, but I can't see any alternative direction from which his value would go. Can you?

Edited by King of the ES, 15 October 2012 - 03:30 AM.

#130 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

He's 34 years old in January.

It's not much of an assumption that he'll be the backup; Schneider won the starter's job in the playoffs and it's now his chance to lead the team. Most people acknowledge this, even though it may not have been stated as fact. If he wasn't going to be our starter, he probably would not have been signed to a 3 year, $12M contract. Backup goalies usually go for a little less.

As for Luongo's value not rising, of course it won't. The market is already soft, and he's now our backup. How can his value possibly rise if he does nothing but age on our bench? It won't. That's an assumption, yes, but I can't see any alternative direction from which his value would go. Can you?

He'll be 34 near the end of this season (if there is one). B-day is April, not January.

It is an assumption to say he'll be a back up, unless you can find proof otherwise. Gillis has already stated, if both goalies are here, they'll be competing for ice time like everyone else.

You're also assuming his value will decrease, but can't provide a logical reason why. So, you're whole argument is based on your opinion. That's fine, just don't present it as fact.

There are many ways in which his value could increase or decrease. Change in supply or demand. Changes in a new CBA. At this point, there's just as much probability that will go up, as much as it will go down.

#131 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

I have never considered Luongo to be the best in the world, the best in Canada, or the best in the NHL - but he is obviously not a guy you cap-dump, throw on waivers, trade for Komisarek, or fight for table scraps to get rid of - some of the crap that has been thrown around here on CDC (and in Toronto) - and that stuff is simply dense.

If nobody wants him, what's the alternative? Will people all of a sudden want him if he's sitting on our bench? Unlikely.

For a guy who always places so much emphasis on "speaking for others", I'm a bit surprised that you're so convinced that teams like the Leafs want him so badly. And you still appear to not have the ability to consider any scenarios besides the best-case one.

#132 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:59 AM

It is an assumption to say he'll be a back up, unless you can find proof otherwise. Gillis has already stated, if both goalies are here, they'll be competing for ice time like everyone else.

Yeah, right. Gillis also said that he qualified MA Gragnani. You shouldn't believe everything that you hear Mike Gillis say.

If Schneider's not our starter, he just signed a backup to a $12M deal.

You're also assuming his value will decrease, but can't provide a logical reason why. So, you're whole argument is based on your opinion. That's fine, just don't present it as fact.

I've provided many logical reasons why. I'll again use a real estate analogy. Why is it always so important to sell your home quickly, after it's been listed? Because if it doesn't sell quickly, you're usually getting a message from the market that your price is too high, and will need to be adjusted downward. This isn't really different.

And again, speaking like a reasonable person, if Luongo does turn out to be our backup this year (I'll say "if" to prevent you from using the silly "assumption" retort), how exactly will an older goalie with a very significant contract's value increase as he's sitting on somebody else's bench? Think about it. Again, I will bring up Cristobal Huet in Chicago. Definitely not as decorated a goalie as Luongo, but his contract wasn't as significant, either.

#133 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,074 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:19 AM

Yeah, right. Gillis also said that he qualified MA Gragnani. You shouldn't believe everything that you hear Mike Gillis say.

If Schneider's not our starter, he just signed a backup to a $12M deal.

I've provided many logical reasons why. I'll again use a real estate analogy. Why is it always so important to sell your home quickly, after it's been listed? Because if it doesn't sell quickly, you're usually getting a message from the market that your price is too high, and will need to be adjusted downward. This isn't really different.

And again, speaking like a reasonable person, if Luongo does turn out to be our backup this year (I'll say "if" to prevent you from using the silly "assumption" retort), how exactly will an older goalie with a very significant contract's value increase as he's sitting on somebody else's bench? Think about it. Again, I will bring up Cristobal Huet in Chicago. Definitely not as decorated a goalie as Luongo, but his contract wasn't as significant, either.

It's true about Gragnani. But Gillis is the GM of the Canucks, and until anyone can prove one goalie will be the starter - then his word is all we have. Anything else is opinion.

The real estate market and sporting markets are apples and oranges. Real estate markets are open and complex. They are influenced by mortgage/interest rates, value of the dollar as well as supply/demand etc. Sporting markets such as the NHL are small and limited. There are only 30 NHL teams meaning limited commodities and they are influenced by internal factors. You're better off sticking with a supply/demand argument.

So you're asking me to make your argument for you? You've yet to state a reason why Luongos value will decrease as the season goes on. How does aging by a few months directly equate to decrease in trade value? Does Crosby value decrease in 4 months cause he's getting older? I'm not seeing the logic.

#134 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

It's true about Gragnani. But Gillis is the GM of the Canucks, and until anyone can prove one goalie will be the starter - then his word is all we have. Anything else is opinion.

The real estate market and sporting markets are apples and oranges. Real estate markets are open and complex. They are influenced by mortgage/interest rates, value of the dollar as well as supply/demand etc. Sporting markets such as the NHL are small and limited. There are only 30 NHL teams meaning limited commodities and they are influenced by internal factors. You're better off sticking with a supply/demand argument.

So you're asking me to make your argument for you? You've yet to state a reason why Luongos value will decrease as the season goes on. How does aging by a few months directly equate to decrease in trade value? Does Crosby value decrease in 4 months cause he's getting older? I'm not seeing the logic.

Luongos value has decreased by the fact that he had a mediocre year last year and was middle of the pack on a first place team. As we all have seen, Lou is a slow starter in the season and a years layoff will not be in his best interests. There can be no assumption that his game will rebound, unless he fixes whats broken. So, being another year older does have a bearing on a lot of scenarios. MG has stated he has two #1 goalies, which I believe is a marketing strategy. It sounds better than Lou the backup !! Unless Lou plays during the lockout, it will take even longer for him to find his stride. Playing on a great team almost always improves a goalie. There are many goalies that would benefit and aquit themselves well playing for the Canucks. Lou is expendable and its tme to go...for whatever we can get that improves the team.

#135 sampy

sampy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

Luongos value has decreased by the fact that he had a mediocre year last year and was middle of the pack on a first place team. As we all have seen, Lou is a slow starter in the season and a years layoff will not be in his best interests. There can be no assumption that his game will rebound, unless he fixes whats broken. So, being another year older does have a bearing on a lot of scenarios. MG has stated he has two #1 goalies, which I believe is a marketing strategy. It sounds better than Lou the backup !! Unless Lou plays during the lockout, it will take even longer for him to find his stride. Playing on a great team almost always improves a goalie. There are many goalies that would benefit and aquit themselves well playing for the Canucks. Lou is expendable and its tme to go...for whatever we can get that improves the team.

Lu and Schneider were the only reason the Canucks won the Presidents. The team played horrible in front of them yet they carried the team and kept winning.
The year before he was Canada's best goalie, which is why he started the gold medal match.
Then Lu played good in the 2011 playoffs coming 1 game away from winning it all while the offense was non-existent.
Saying Lu has little value is just further proof how rediculous the Canucks fanbase is. He would be a massive upgrade in goal for a lot of teams. Goaltending is the most important position on the ice. Crosby with Reimer in goal would not win games.

#136 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

Ben Kuzma tweets: Leafs goalie James Reimer skating with Canucks. Perhaps a Bieksa Buddy for charity game.

Cue the Luongo to Toronto...

#137 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

Supply/demand is always the key factor. As has been pointed out numerous times, there are very few teams that would be interested in making a goaltending change, at all, let alone one where they'd be acquiring a guy who's pretty old, has 9 years left on his deal, and a shaky reputation. Acquiring Roberto Luongo sets a franchise in a totally different direction. 9 year commitment. Pretty big money.

The longer that he's on our bench, the less "elite goalie" perception that he'll have. He'll go from being a high-end goalie to a has-been, and what GM will want to tell their fanbase that they've just given up top-six X, or high-end prospect Y, for Vancouver's backup goalie? Probably not many.

This is totally unrelated to Crosby; see your supply/demand suggestion for reasons why. Only a very, very few teams that would want any sort of goaltender change. Limits the market. When the goaltender in question has publicly asked out, and has a high-end contract, that should create urgency to get rid of him while there are still buyers.

Edit: BTW, what reason do you have for Luongo's value to increase as the season goes on? This brings up another bad-case scenario. If Luongo plays good, clearly better than Schneider, then what?

Edited by King of the ES, 15 October 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#138 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

Would you prefer a different analogy king?

You have a very nice car. People really would like to have it. (Do I need to re-quote Dreger on Nonis and Luongo? probably, but I'm not going to)
You have a ticket to a lottery and win another very nice car - newer, and even a little faster.
You decide to sell your other car.
After all, you can only drive one car at a time. But then again, there is no brand of car that never needs servicing - in which case, you could just use or need another car.
You aren't really desperate for the money or the space, but who knows, perhaps you'll find a pick-up you could use more.
The first guy that shows up to have a look is one of those guys. You know there are a couple other guys interested - they've called to inquire what your asking price is. This guy kicks the tires, he searches and nit picks - he obviously wants the car - but he's playing a game most of us can easily identify, otherwise he wouldn't be making the effort... He's attempting to justify a low ball offer. In effect, this whole part of the process is a waste of time.
You'd have to be an idiot to sell to that first guy for his first low ball offer. You let him walk away. If he wants the car, he'll have to come back with a ball park offer, particularly when you know there is no other comparable car on the market.
All you've missed out on is a lowball offer that'll be available anytime. Once winter comes, that guy is going to need that car - that would be a better time to sell.

The only trouble with this analogy is that everyone has seen how this car (Luongo) performs on the highway (playoffs). He's very good in town (regular season) but everytime you want to go for a lengthy trip in the springtime this car breaks down and everybody watches you ride home on the bus while your 5.33 million dollar car is hooked to a tow truck.
Not too many people would break down your door to buy that from you.

#139 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

The only trouble with this analogy is that everyone has seen how this car (Luongo) performs on the highway (playoffs). He's very good in town (regular season) but everytime you want to go for a lengthy trip in the springtime this car breaks down and everybody watches you ride home on the bus while your 5.33 million dollar car is hooked to a tow truck.

Except if the only car you've ever had is a plymouth reliant (Toronto) then your thrilled with the thought of a owning a car that could even make it to the highway without breaking down, especially knowing you've had the cash for so long its time to make a purchase. Or perhaps the car is a classic, say a 69 corvette that you had when you were younger. You know it will never reach its peak performance again, but bringing it back has a lot of sentimental value (Florida). B)

#140 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Lu and Schneider were the only reason the Canucks won the Presidents. The team played horrible in front of them yet they carried the team and kept winning.
The year before he was Canada's best goalie, which is why he started the gold medal match.
Then Lu played good in the 2011 playoffs coming 1 game away from winning it all while the offense was non-existent.
Saying Lu has little value is just further proof how rediculous the Canucks fanbase is. He would be a massive upgrade in goal for a lot of teams. Goaltending is the most important position on the ice. Crosby with Reimer in goal would not win games.

With Schneider leading the way last season....we could have won the President's trophy with any goalie in the top 20 playing beside Schneids !

#141 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,074 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

Supply/demand is always the key factor. As has been pointed out numerous times, there are very few teams that would be interested in making a goaltending change, at all, let alone one where they'd be acquiring a guy who's pretty old, has 9 years left on his deal, and a shaky reputation. Acquiring Roberto Luongo sets a franchise in a totally different direction. 9 year commitment. Pretty big money.

It's been reported that as of a few days ago, 5 teams were calling about Luongo. Wheter he has 9 yrs, or 8 1/2 yrs left on his contract doesn't change. His contract will not change unless there's something in the new CBA. Those 5 teams calling now are aware of his contract, how he played last season etc - but they're still interested.

The longer that he's on our bench, the less "elite goalie" perception that he'll have. He'll go from being a high-end goalie to a has-been, and what GM will want to tell their fanbase that they've just given up top-six X, or high-end prospect Y, for Vancouver's backup goalie? Probably not many.

This is totally unrelated to Crosby; see your supply/demand suggestion for reasons why. Only a very, very few teams that would want any sort of goaltender change. Limits the market. When the goaltender in question has publicly asked out, and has a high-end contract, that should create urgency to get rid of him while there are still buyers.
Edit: BTW, what reason do you have for Luongo's value to increase as the season goes on? This brings up another bad-case scenario. If Luongo plays good, clearly better than Schneider, then what?

That's an interesting perspective, but again you're assuming Luongo will be the back up.
It's recognized that limited teams have interest in a goalie change, hence 5 teams that are reportedly calling about him. I'd argue 5 teams is not small, it's roughly 20% of the market. So you're arguing 'perceptions' of eliteness will alter his trade value? Always possible, but not really plausible. He's been an NHL player for 10+ years, as a GM you're more likely to value the larger sample size with focus on the last 3 or so years. Also, counseling your fan base about a trade is a PR issue, they have PR depts for that. It doesn't alter actual value.

The 2 most notable scenarios where I see his trade value decreasing:
a) More quality goaltenders are made available after the lockout
b ) Those teams who are currently interested, decide to go with their current tandem cause they're playing better than expected.

Edited by RunningWild, 15 October 2012 - 05:06 PM.

#142 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

Loved it !! great call !

#143 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

The most realistic trading partner for Vancouver to me is Toronto, but the more games that get cancelled the less chance are that they would take him. If they play a 50 game schedule I do not see any team wanting to trade for a goalie who often needs 25 games before he finds his groove, and while the Canucks were in a position to ride it out over a 82 game schedule and could win some games even if Lu was not playing great to start the season, most teams and especially Toronto do not have the luxury of overcoming average/below average NHL goaltending for 1/2 a season.

#144 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

Yeah i know - Luongo has had 4 or 5 playoff breakdowns. People love to remember the bad games he has had against Chicago and Boston. They forget the four shutouts he had on route to that game 7 loss of the SCF. His lifetime .916 playoff sv% is 3 one thousandths off his regular season lifetime mark (half of those seasons were played behind the Islanders and Panthers) and 3 one thousanths off Martin Brodeurs's lifetime playoff mark (who, by the way, was playing behind the trapping NJD, and Scott Stevens, et al.) Luongo's worst playoff years were a 6 and 6 year with a .895 sv%, and last years 0-2 with a .891. Brodeur has had a 3-4 with an .856 sv%, a 1-4 with .881, another 1-4 with .891. He lost a game 7 of SCF and had a .897 mark that year. Doesn't really qualify your highway analogy does it. People here are pretty nearsighted. I suppose you wouldn't want to take Brodeur out on the highway either? Give Luongo 17 playoffs seasons with teams like the Devils had and he'd get-er-done a few times as well. I personally will never blame Luongo for the loss in game 7 - the Canucks imo simply weren't good/deep enough to beat Boston without Hamhius (and Rome) in the lineup. One more win however and Luongo's playoff stereotype would have swung wildly in the absolute opposite direction among fickle Canucks fans.

Sometimes I wish this fan base could have another taste of what truly awful goaltending looks like.
Did you see the Philly / Pittsburgh series last playoffs by any chance? Bryzgalov matched Luongo's lifetime worth of breakdowns in one single series. Fleury, not exactly a terrible goaltender (and a SC champion and Olympian), likewise, was absolutely, inexplicably horrible. It happens.

People here protest too much.

Edited by oldnews, 15 October 2012 - 07:25 PM.

#145 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

If nobody wants him, what's the alternative? Will people all of a sudden want him if he's sitting on our bench? Unlikely.

For a guy who always places so much emphasis on "speaking for others", I'm a bit surprised that you're so convinced that teams like the Leafs want him so badly. And you still appear to not have the ability to consider any scenarios besides the best-case one.

King, if you paid any attention at all, you'd realize that I'm not speaking for Toronto - there have been plenty of words and signs out of Toronto indicating that they want him.
The offer you claim Luongo rejected - that I believe Gillis rejected - of Schenn.

The unambiguous comments of Nonis, that they are looking to acquire a veteran, legitimate starting goaltender - a guy who has acquired Luongo before, and was lauded for it, including the article written by his cousin Darren Dreger that I have quoted before.

The numerous articles written by Toronto 'insiders' "The Toronto Maple Leafs remain interested in acquiring the services of Roberto Luongo....Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke contacted his Vancouver Canucks counterpart, Mike Gillis, about the 33-year-old goaltender last weekend."

http://www.torontosu...-roberto-luongo

The public admissions by Burke himself that he is negotiating, but not wanting to "strip-mine" the Leafs organization to acquire Luongo.

Do you honestly need more?

Oh that's right, 3 to 5 teams, according to you, are not enough.... "If nobody wants him..." Ok King, keep your head wherever you've planted it.

#146 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

agrred..Lou has a
had a great career..but hes not the goalie he was and i don;t believe he will fetch what a lot of fans believe hes worth.

Really? Not the goaltender he used to be? His last two seasons - combined 69-29 with .928 and .919 sv% are actually better than his career average.

#147 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

Really? Not the goaltender he used to be? His last two seasons - combined 69-29 with .928 and .919 sv% are actually better than his career average.

He had a great 2010-11 reg season...point made.....but you are lumping his best year ever with a very mediocre season to improve the overall numbers ! Lou did not utilize the style in 2010-11 playoffs and was very hot...and very cold...which translate into what I've been saying....inconsistancy. Had Lou stayed with what Rollie Melanson preached....he may have repeated the 2010-11 season. He did not and it was clearly evident that he was not as good. ...Last year Lou was about 9 games over .500 and nothing near as good as Schneider...playing for the same team
Nice try ...but no cigar pal.

#148 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

He had a great 2010-11 reg season...point made.....but you are lumping his best year ever with a very mediocre season to improve the overall numbers ! Lou did not utilize the style in 2010-11 playoffs and was very hot...and very cold...which translate into what I've been saying....inconsistancy. Had Lou stayed with what Rollie Melanson preached....he may have repeated the 2010-11 season. He did not and it was clearly evident that he was not as good. ...Last year Lou was about 9 games over .500 and nothing near as good as Schneider...playing for the same team
Nice try ...but no cigar pal.

Just try the facts instead Smurf - Luongo was 31-14 - exactly 17 games over .500.
And .919, his sv % last year, was exactly the same as his lifetime mark.
No need to lump seasons.
Whether Schneider was better is irrelevant. We are comparing Luongo past to Luongo present here.
Nice try.

Posted Image

Edited by oldnews, 15 October 2012 - 07:45 PM.

#149 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Just try the facts instead Smurf - Luongo was 31-14 - exactly 17 games over .500.
And .919 was exactly the same as his lifetime mark.
No need to lump seasons.
Whether Schneider was better is irrelevant. We are comparing Luongo past to Luongo present here.
Nice try.

Posted Image

but you DID lump 2 yrs together...and the point was...he was not near as good as 2010-11...point made !!

#150 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

but you DID lump 2 yrs together...and the point was...he was not near as good as 2010-11...point made !!

Your point was that he isn't the goalie he used to be. Point failed.

"Lou has a had a great career..but hes not the goalie he was and i don;t believe he will fetch what a lot of fans believe hes worth"

That was the point of looking at his last two seasons Smurf.
38-15, 31-14, .928, .919... makes no difference.
Neither of them fall below his lifetime average.
No matter how you spin it 31-14 does not equal 9.
Suggesting that Luongo's best career season was two years ago really contradicts your point that he's not the goalie he used to be.
So, obviously, your point failed, and you are trying to wiggle your claim.

Edited by oldnews, 15 October 2012 - 07:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.