3002 replies to this topic

#1561 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Toskala was good with the Sharks, Raycroft was good with the Bruins, Gerber was good with the Ducks.

Again, could it be that the team was/is just not that good, regardless of who their goaltender is?

'bout time this guy said something sensical.

edit: and by that I mean the team sucks. The Leafs. Yes, they suck. IMHO no matter what 'tender you put in net for them they will continue to suck

Edited by MC Fatigue, 25 November 2012 - 01:31 PM.

" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#1562 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

I guess I am the idiot for continuing to argue with someone so dense and biased.... but here goes.

Ah, the personal insults. Always the sign of a guy with a strong case.

If the return right now is as suggested and a 3rd liner on a terrible contract plus a 2nd round pick (2-5% chance they would ever see a single NHL game).... then there is no "less" in value. As a matter of fact, it would be better to waive him instead of taking on a bad contract in return... we have no issues signing free agents to fill the cap space at a better cap value than that.

You still have yet to tell me how it benefits the Vancouver Canucks to hang on to him, as it relates to his value increasing.

And sure, of course there's less value. If that 3rd liner with a bad contract can help the Canucks win today, it's probably a reasonable deal to take. Who are you alluding to, in the above paragraph? That's a far cry from some of the proposals that have been on here - Bozak, Biggs, and a 2nd, the most recent one.

As has been noted, a guy who is still easily somewhere in the top 10 of NHL goalies isn't quite a backup. If he continues his stellar play another season, then the fact he is one year older makes no difference.... he would be keep proving that he is likely to be good as he ages similar to Brodeur.

The market for teams looking for goalies likely would not increase, so his value simply will not rise. The optics of acquiring a backup goaltender with a 10-year contract and simultaneously departing with some sort of "A" prospect, top-six player, or high pick, would not be very good.

Well you might want to complete his whole quote which entirely disagrees with your argument in his own words...

“...But I realized once we got into August, that that was a possibility, and that I was OK with that. The fact that I have a lot of good friends on the team, in the staff and the coaching staff and the organization, makes it a lot easier for me to be here, that’s why I’m here today, and I didn’t really hesitate in deciding whether I should come or not. I’m going to leave that more up to (Gillis) to do his thing, I don’t really want to be talking about any other teams right now. I’m here with Vancouver. I think it’s a bit disrespectful towards (Gillis) and others to be talking about other places. I’m just here to play, man. That’s all I want to do. I’m going to play and work hard like I always do ­— and the cards will fall where they may.”

Boy does that ever sound like a guy who is looking to cause trouble in the dressing room!!!

He's giving Gillis the benefit of the doubt, but, make no mistake, we've seen diva Roberto come out in the past, and if he's still watching games from the bench and patting Schneider's head like a good teammate during the TV timeouts for very long, you've got to think that he'll quickly tire of it. A guy at his age would not want to accelerate his atrophy as a player, which sitting on the bench will obviously do.

And as you've ignored my question asking you to explain how his value will increase in 2013, I'll assume that you agree that it won't. Therefore, and for many other obvious reasons, it's in Vancouver's best interests to get this done ASAP.

#1563 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

edit: and by that I mean the team sucks. The Leafs. Yes, they suck. IMHO no matter what 'tender you put in net for them they will continue to suck

And if Brian Burke acquires Luongo, and if he doesn't play that good, and if the team still sucks, who's going to be the first person out of a job?

Right.

#1564 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

And if Brian Burke acquires Luongo, and if he doesn't play that good, and if the team still sucks, who's going to be the first person out of a job?

Right.

And if by some miracle BB aquires Luongo for what you seem to think will definitely be a low-ball return, Luongo miraculously begins to play like a champ without all the gaffes and inconsistencies, Burke looks like the Messiah- Gillis a brain-dead buffoon.
Ya....probably not.
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#1565 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,365 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

I have a feeling Dave Nonis will be fired out of this. Good Trade/Bad Trade doesn't matter, Dave Nonis is getting canned regardless.

Posted Image

Subbancopy.jpg

#1566 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Nope. It'll be Barb Underhill. Mark my words. Barb's goose is cooked no matter what.

#1567 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

And if by some miracle BB aquires Luongo for what you seem to think will definitely be a low-ball return, Luongo miraculously begins to play like a champ without all the gaffes and inconsistencies, Burke looks like the Messiah- Gillis a brain-dead buffoon.
Ya....probably not.

Gillis is in a bad spot. Keeping Luongo really isn't a legitimate option.

#1568 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,216 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Gillis is in a bad spot. Keeping Luongo really isn't a legitimate option.

Yes it is a legitimate option keeping Luongo. Again you're just too blind to see it.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#1569 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Yes it is a legitimate option keeping Luongo. Again you're just too blind to see it.

He might be blind but yur not smart enough to follow the logic.

#1570 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,216 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

He might be blind but yur not smart enough to follow the logic.

What logic? Its quite funny actually, that you two think I'm not smart enough when you were the one that said Luongo isn't a massive upgrade over Dubnyk.

No GM in this league, well, maybe Gauthier, is dumb enough to just dump an elite goalie like Luongo for crap that does absolutely nothing to help us win now.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

#1571 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

I have a feeling Dave Nonis will be fired out of this. Good Trade/Bad Trade doesn't matter, Dave Nonis is getting canned regardless.

Posted Image

Is that the chick who had a baby in her 60s?

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#1572 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

What logic? Its quite funny actually, that you two think I'm not smart enough when you were the one that said Luongo isn't a massive upgrade over Dubnyk.

No GM in this league, well, maybe Gauthier, is dumb enough to just dump an elite goalie like Luongo for crap that does absolutely nothing to help us win now.

and your experience (16 yrs old) isn't enought to even dare proffer an opinion !

#1573 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,216 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

and your experience (16 yrs old) isn't enought to even dare proffer an opinion !

At least I know that Luongo is a massive upgrade over Devan freaking Dubnyk. Don't even try to say that age matters on how much one know's of hockey, as one would think with all of your clamoring of your 40-whatever years of 'goalie knowledge', you would know the same too.

#1574 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

7 years? Reimer's 24 years old and has played 71 career NHL games. Gustavsson didn't work out, nor did Giguere.

Could it be that maybe it's the team, not not the goalies, that are the problem?

Everyone else has pretty much roasted you on this already, so I dont have to say much.

All im going to say is that the pure fact of the matter is that they haven't had playoff style goaltending since Belfour. Coincidence? I think not.

Are you friends with Cory and Roberto? Did they tell you that in confidence?

You honestly think that they wouldn't be distracted by being hounded by the media after every practice and every game? Roberto would not be happy, as the backup, and Cory would not be happy, as he'd have Roberto Luongo hanging out over his shoulder. Use common sense.

Are you friends with them? Did they tell you it would be a big burden? The only time this thing get's frustrating for them is when the media brings it up.

The simple fact about this entire thing is that it is complete media speculation, niether goaltender has said anything bad about one another, they both have handled it amazingly, been great teammates and are good friends. Even if Luongo doesn't get traded right away, boht goaltenders know he won't be here forever, a year at the absolute max, but I doubt that highly. It's not nearly the big deal you make it out to be.

And if the deal makes us "worse" (hard to believe, given the relative unimportance of the backup goaltender), it'll just make us even more worse the longer that we wait.

I guess you have never heard of a tandem, something that has made us and the Blue's such great teams last year.

Anytime you are making a trade you have to anaylze and ask yourself if the deal actually makes us better, you have to carefully assess every possible scenerio (something you never seem to do in your arguments BTW) you can't leave any stone left unturned. When you look at the return you have to ask if it will have a bigger impact to this team than Roberto can, if it does then do it. But if not or it is something that is a cap dump then don't. It's not a tough thing to figure out.

Yes, it is a fact. Roberto Luongo's contract expires in 2022.

Do you think he is gunna play another decade? Just another narrow headed argument.

You don't know anything about the CBA since I never see you post in there, and if you did you would have heard about the possibilites of perhaps teams will be punished for these contracts. We may have to take a share of the cap hit when we trade him which would make him alot more valuable, also/or else we might have to take on his cap hit for the remainder of the deal after he is retired.

Again King, your so narrowheaded you don't look at things from any other area, which is the big fault in your argument.

He "could", yes, but smart businesspeople need to analyze every possible outcome. If Luongo's contract with the Vancouver Canucks was negotiated in good faith, there's no reason to assume that he'll retire early.

Even if he did retire early, though, the commitment might be until, what, 2020, instead of 2022? Still a major commitment that you're not considering from the other side's perspective.

Other than the fact that he will be 43 when the deal is done, And he has already said his career doesn't have alot of time left. It's common sense.

I think it would be around 2017/2018 he would retire, maybe even 2016. Knowing Lu he probably will retire when he thinks he can't play at his highest level.

What is there to consider? they get good goaltending till he retires? They had Ed Belfour till he was 40. And he was still a good goalie for them.

zackass.png

#1575 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

NEWS ALERT!
Roberto will be stayin with the Canucks for another 'season' because there won't be a season! Sorry!

True but even if there is a season Luongo puts us over the cap so he never plays in Vancouver again. He goes on waivers if anything.
Posted Image

#1576 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,216 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

True but even if there is a season Luongo puts us over the cap so he never plays in Vancouver again. He goes on waivers if anything.

How could we be over the cap if we have just over 2 million in cap space?

#1577 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

That is simply not true... we have $2.5 million in cap space. There is no method where the cap goes down without also reducing the hit of current contracts by the same percent. For example, a 13% reduction in the cap would mean that Luongo's and everyone else's cap hits would be reduced by 13%.

You can't drop the cap to $59 million without doing this because then virtually no team would be cap compliant and there is no mechanism for them to become cap compliant.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#1578 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,259 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

I understand how good he was playing, I wanted him to get more Ice time too, I in no way condone or defend how AV treated him. believe me I wanted AV fired long ago, but he certainly isn't the most motivated.

There seems to be a popular misconception that AV somehow "mistreated" Hodgson, however, Mike Gillis has, on several occasions, stated that Coho's "usage" was carefully planned and charted out by the coaching staff and management in order to give him the best opportunity to succeed.

If you think Vigneault deserves to be fired over his usage of Hodgson, then you believe that Gillis deserves to be fired as well. Ditto Laurence Gilman, Stan Smyl, Lorne Henning and Dave Gagne.....

Like it or not, that's what his status is on the Vancouver Canucks.

Do you have a source to back up that claim? Anything from Canucks' coaching staff and/or management stating that such will be the case if and when the season starts?

I believe that it's definitely within the realm of possibility that the two goaltenders would share duties equally as they did last season during the final couple of weeks of last season, a stretch where both played some of their best hockey.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#1579 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

There seems to be a popular misconception that AV somehow "mistreated" Hodgson, however, Mike Gillis has, on several occasions, stated that Coho's "usage" was carefully planned and charted out by the coaching staff and management in order to give him the best opportunity to succeed.

If you think Vigneault deserves to be fired over his usage of Hodgson, then you believe that Gillis deserves to be fired as well. Ditto Laurence Gilman, Stan Smyl, Lorne Henning and Dave Gagne.....

Oh that's not why I think AV should be fired.

I think he should be fired because he isn't a good playoff coach IMO.

zackass.png

#1580 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,259 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Oh that's not why I think AV should be fired.

I think he should be fired because he isn't a good playoff coach IMO.

Fair enough. I disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion. Do you still think Vigneault erred in how Coho was handled?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#1581 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,365 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

The new CBA likely won't allow you to bury Luongo's salary in the minors and as previously mentioned we have the cap space to keep him.

So no and no.

Edited by playboi19, 25 November 2012 - 05:39 PM.

Subbancopy.jpg

#1582 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Fair enough. I disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion. Do you still think Vigneault erred in how Coho was handled?

I think AV was one of the main reasons for Coho wanting out, and that stems back to the injury and everything that happened before.

So I do think AV could have handled him better but if it was a fixed plot to get Coho traded then I guess you can't blame anyone for that.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 25 November 2012 - 05:46 PM.

zackass.png

#1583 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,259 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

I think AV was one of the main reasons for Coho wanting out, and that stems back to the injury and everything that happened before.

So I do think AV could have handled him better but if it was a fixed plot to get Coho traded then I guess you can't blame anyone for that.

It wasn't a "plot" to get him traded. It was a "strategy" to make him look good and give him confidence. Judging by the reports of his complaints about icetime, perhaps it worked too well.

#1584 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

It wasn't a "plot" to get him traded. It was a "strategy" to make him look good and give him confidence. Judging by the reports of his complaints about icetime, perhaps it worked too well.

Uh Oh, Lets not get king started on this again... We will have to listen to his insider information again.

Posted Image

#1585 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Well yeah same thing, I ment the Strategy I guess. I ment the same thing.

I think they could have given him more ice time though, and we could have made him better and got more in return.

zackass.png

#1586 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,259 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Well yeah same thing, I ment the Strategy I guess. I ment the same thing.

I think they could have given him more ice time though, and we could have made him better and got more in return.

This opinion supposes that the Canucks' brass didn't know what they were doing. More icetime could have made him worse, as it has to some other prospects who were put into certain situations before they were ready for them. It may have also lessened his trade value, rather than boosted it.

Again, both sides of the debate are pure speculation. We'll never truly know what increased playing time would have done for Coho, or the Canucks, for that matter. It's in situations like these that I tend to rely on the guys who actually make their living by making hockey decisions to know what they're doing.

#1587 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Right.

Luongo would need to be stellar all the time to give the Leafs a shot at the playoffs, I'm not sure he could do it even despite his usual regular season prowess.
He is pushing 34 years old, his groin now has wear and tear, and his knees may end up giving out due to his constant butterfly style of play.
Even if Luongo carried the Leafs all the way there, he would probably be too physically and mentally shot to give them a chance to make it beyond the first round. This is also assuming he wouldn't have any meltdowns which I believe would be much more likely in this scenario. Although who would blame him, playing behind all those Maple Leafs?

#1588 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

Gillis needs to move Luongo at some point and "crap" might end up being all we can get in return, depending on the circumstances.

#1589 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Right.

He will be the 1st one of of a job if he doesn't make a move for Lu and his team misses the playoffs with the current goaltending aswell.

Actually if he went out and got Lu and they struggled I don't think he would be fired, because they could see Burke is doing his best to make moves and improve the team, and that the issue is the players, whereas if he stays put, they will question if Burke could have done more and they will let the players off the hook.

So I think it is the other way around.

zackass.png

#1590 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

And I didn;t say he wasn;t an improvement, if at all and certainly in no uncertain terms is he a "massive" upgrade ! All you know is what you hear, with no goaltending knowledge whatsoever. You are entitled to your opinion but don;t diss those who know more than you about this one specific topic...goaltending. At 16 where would you have had the time, or opportunity to learn?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.