The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Speaking of "weak" reasoning....

Comparing Shneider-Luongo to Toews-Kruger is a terrible example. First of all, there are 12 forward spots and only two goaltending spots.

A much better example would be the one already mentioned, where the Bruins had decided to go with Tuuka Rask over Tim Thomas...

...a year later, Thomas was by far the biggest factor in the Bruins'Cup final win.

Also, you mention that nobody has responded to your stats. However, you yourself have not repsoned to the point raised by myself (and others) about trading Luongo to fill an area of need, such as center and (preferably right-handed) defensive prospects.

As has been mentioned several times, MPS is a left winger and not a particularly physical one. This is something the Canucks have an abundance of already, so touting him as a player the Canucks should target in a trade for Luongo doesn't make much sense, nor does it make any sense to comapre his offensive stats to those of Kassian's.

Sure there are better defensemen both on talent and in cap hit. The point is that post did not have anything close to the notions of reason and/ or argument.

For the sake of opinion, any on that list, including Phaneuf, would drastically help Vancouver's cause at acquiring their first Cup, for as it stands, teams read the defense as well as an open book.

Because we won't have those guys forever. Daniel Sedin is 32 years old. David Booth just isn't that good. Mason Raymond's most likely playing in his last season as a Canuck.

The point is that you should always try and go for the best player available in any trade, and not worry about minor things like "rugged, right-handed defenceman prospect depth". Sorry, I'll take whichever guy will have the most impact on the team. And if that requires further roster movements to accommodate him, so be it.

This Boston example is what I'm hoping for as a result in the Luongo-Schneider saga where Luongo, who is indeed a franchise goaltender (the type of player who is drafted and has a team is built around), takes back his rightful place as the number one goaltender because he is being pushed by Schneider and plays lights out in the acquisition of a Cup.

This, of course, requires players of the likes Boston featured in 2011, which means a 1D, two 1C (Only H. Sedin qualifies) and excellent 3C (Ego aside, Kesler) and a plethora of dedicated, focused, massive hard workers with only one goal in mind; the Cup.

Moneyball only works for regular season success.

In effect, what Vancouver needs is a second 1C behind H. Sedin and a 1D to play in front of Luongo, while getting at least one nasty winger who's low IQ can rival that of Lucic's.

Schneider was signed as an RFA at a perfect contract. It is cap friendly, Canucks friendly and trade friendly.

If Lecavalier won't be traded because of contractual term, neither will Luongo.

I have an inclination that the pro-Schneider fanatics, and they are fanatics, will be rioting or become fans of another team very soon.

Of course, this depends almost solely on Luongo. If he outperforms Schneider, quite a feat I must admit, I see no reason to trade Luongo. Schneider on the other hand, we know what he brings to the table and so do other teams. Making Schneider available drastically opens doors for the Canucks as most teams could be involved, especially bottom and mid range teams desperately looking for stability in net.

Concerning Paajarvi, he's exactly what the Canucks do not need. Booth, Burrows, Hansen, Higgins, Raymond and Kassian more than equal what Paajarvi can bring to the table.

He's also Edmonton property.

What the Canucks missed out on is the Turris trade; that's the type of player they ought to bring in promptly at forward position.

And a 1D.

Schneider was signed as an RFA at a perfect contract. It is cap friendly, Canucks friendly and trade friendly.

If Lecavalier won't be traded because of contractual term, neither will Luongo.

I have an inclination that the pro-Schneider fanatics will be rioting or become fans of another team very soon.

Of course, this depends almost solely on Luongo. If he outperforms Schneider, quite a feat I must admit, I see no reason to trade Luongo. Schneider on the other hand, we know what he brings to the table and so do other teams. Making Schneider available drastically opens doors for the Canucks as most teams could be involved, especially bottom and mid range teams desperately looking for stability in net.

Concerning Paajarvi, he's exactly what the Canucks do not need. Booth, Burrows, Hansen, Higgins, Raymond and Kassian more than equal what Paajarvi can bring to the table.

He's also Edmonton property.

What the Canucks missed out on is the Turris trade; that's the type of player they ought to bring in promptly at forward position.

And a 1D.

I watched the Russia Canada Super Series game tonight at the Pacific Coliseum and Rielly looked unreal, a lot more noticeable than Yakupov. Murray looked good too but Rielly stood out. Gillis has to find a way to pick him up.

Lu, Shroeder, Sauve, 2nd

For

Rielly and Connolly (cap dump that can fill centre)

I watched the Russia Canada Super Series game tonight at the Pacific Coliseum and Rielly looked unreal, a lot more noticeable than Yakupov. Murray looked good too but Rielly stood out. Gillis has to find a way to pick him up.

Lu, Shroeder, Sauve, 2nd

For

Rielly and Connolly (cap dump that can fill centre)

This Boston example is what I'm hoping for as a result in the Luongo-Schneider saga where Luongo, who is indeed a franchise goaltender (the type of player who is drafted and has a team is built around), takes back his rightful place as the number one goaltender because he is being pushed by Schneider and plays lights out in the acquisition of a Cup.

This, of course, requires players of the likes Boston featured in 2011, which means a 1D, two 1C (Only H. Sedin qualifies) and excellent 3C (Ego aside, Kesler) and a plethora of dedicated, focused, massive hard workers with only one goal in mind; the Cup.

Moneyball only works for regular season success.

In effect, what Vancouver needs is a second 1C behind H. Sedin and a 1D to play in front of Luongo, while getting at least one nasty winger who's low IQ can rival that of Lucic's.

Archived