Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3002 replies to this topic

#1891 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,280 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

First of all, at the time of his trade, his best days were not "clearly far behind him". He was actually having one of the most productive offensive years of his career.

In addition, there are two pretty significant differences:

• Boston was only married to him for the remainder of the year, as he was a UFA-to-be. This decreases Boston's risk, and thus increases Kaberle's value.
  • Boston clearly had targeted and wanted Kaberle very badly. Burke was likely able to get what he was for this very reason; he would've otherwise allowed Kaberle's contract to simply expire, and let him walk, so he had leverage in that respect.

A rental player has more value than a franchise goaltender. Interesting King.
You can call it increased value because the Bruins weren't "married"/committed to him - what they got in return for Colborne, a 1st and a 2nd were 20 points in 50 games - and then vamoose...
He was having an average year in Toronto, and only 3 goals in 58 games - I hear you referring to Luongo's alleged decline all the time (as well as the Sedins, Burrows, etc) - by your standards, Kaberle was about to collect a pension.

#1892 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

These same "hockey minds" had a discussion earlier tonight about a Luongo trade to Florida for the small package of Jonathan Huberdeau, Alex Petrovic, Scott Clemmensen, and a 1st.

These are "hockey minds", to you?

No it isn't, because none of the 6 players mentioned are established NHLers. At this point, they're all 1st round prospects of equivalent age and with roughly equivalent potential.

I wouldn't put Huberdeau in that trade, but it shows how high the perceived value of Luongo is. I'm saying they are right, but when you have valued Luongo so far below EVERY media person who has talked this to death you have to start realizing you're off base.

And, yes it was the perfect response, because as you say, they are all so similar, why doesn't it make sense?
Hahaha, Patrick Whitehas similar potential to Kassian/Schroeder/Khadri/Biggs? Do you hear your self?
Oh wait, they were all first round picks. They are all equal. Forgot.
It was a perfect response, cause it puts your head in a logic swirly like a 5th grader in the boys room.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#1893 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 17,280 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

Richards? What Richards?

And Booth isn't all that defensive is he? That's what people complain about with him, so it's not like it's a completely two-way line to begin with..

If you followed that conversation, Richards refers to TmVan talking about Philly having Richards, Carter and a bunch of forwards who can play center or be moved to the wing...(as a good example that having too many centers is not a problem - to which point I agree - I just don't see Kadri as a good option in that sense.

If Booth isn't that defensive as you claim, then how would it serve that line to throw another guy out there who is not very defensive? My point was that I'd prefer to move a two-way center to wing on Kesler's line if that must happen, as opposed to taxing him more. I'd move Bozak to wing before Kadri, and I'd prefer a physical guy who can score (like Frattin - an actual RW) over Kadri as well. Actually I'd prefer Raymond, whose backcheck and defensive responsibility imo is part of what enabled Kesler to win a Selke and score 41 goals.

#1894 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 17,280 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

These same "hockey minds" had a discussion earlier tonight about a Luongo trade to Florida for the small package of Jonathan Huberdeau, Alex Petrovic, Scott Clemmensen, and a 1st.

These are "hockey minds", to you?

Care to show us a quote? What are you talking about?

#1895 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,557 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

If Booth isn't that defensive as you claim, then how would it serve that line to throw another guy out there who is not very defensive? My point was that I'd prefer to move a two-way center to wing on Kesler's line if that must happen, as opposed to taxing him more. I'd move Bozak to wing before Kadri, and I'd prefer a physical guy who can score (like Frattin - an actual RW) over Kadri as well. Actually I'd prefer Raymond, whose backcheck and defensive responsibility imo is part of what enabled Kesler to win a Selke and score 41 goals.

Alright, I just didn't know what you were talking about with Richards, I didn't see the conversation prior so it was my mistake.

And personally I think Booth is fine defensively, I actually like Booth and I am a big supporter. it just seems that whenever someone underrates him they say he isn't great defensively. I can understand your point, but the center's responsability is defense as much as offense, so either way it wouldn't make a big difference IMO when you break it down. Adding Kadri would help the line's overall offense, and probably his development, plus he isn't nearly has bad defensively as people think, he is actually a good stick checker and he was a + last year. He just tries things sometimes cause of his amazing hands and loses the puck, as I said before no different from anyone else.

And come on Raymond? I can understand your point again, but he isn't all that great defensively, he is just fast so he can get to the point faster, he loses battles all the time, makes bad desicisons with the puck (just as bad if not worse than Kadri) and he doesn't block shots, his defensive play is way overrated IMO, and then Offensively Kadri is better.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 01 December 2012 - 10:33 PM.

zackass.png

#1896 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 17,280 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Says who? Canuck fan? Do you think Leaf fan would agree with this assessment?

What are you basing this on?

You mean the fans whose signature move is to wear paper bags over their heads?

Edited by oldnews, 01 December 2012 - 10:33 PM.

#1897 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 17,280 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Alright, I just didn't know what you were talking about with Richards, I didn't see the conversation prior so it was my mistake.

And personally I think Booth is fine defensively, I actually like Booth and I am a big supporter. it just seems that whenever someone underrates him they say he isn't great defensively. I can understand your point, but the center's responsability is defense as much as offense, so either way it wouldn't make a big difference IMO when you break it down. Adding Kadri would help the line's overall offense, and probably his development, plus he isn't nearly has bad defensively as people think, he is actually a good stick checker and he was a + last year. He just tries things sometimes cause of his amazing hands and loses the puck, as I said before no different from anyone else.

And come on Raymond? I can understand your point again, but he isn't all that great defensively, he is just fast so he can get to the point faster, he loses battles all the time, makes bad desicisons with the puck (just as bad if not worse than Kadri) and he doesn't block shots, his defensive play is way overrated IMO, and then Offensively Kadri is better.

note who was 11th in the NHL, just behind Kesler at #9...

http://www.behindthe... 42 43 44 45 46

and regarding Booth, I agree, I don't think he is a liability - in fact he tied Burrows with a +16.1 relative corsi last year in Vancouver - he gets an undue amount of criticism (regarding his play on the ice - probably due in part to his sport-hunting and religious tweeting...)

Edited by oldnews, 01 December 2012 - 10:41 PM.

#1898 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,557 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

note who was 11th in the NHL, just behind Kesler at #9...

http://www.behindthe... 42 43 44 45 46

and regarding Booth, I agree, I don't think he is a liability - in fact he tied Burrows with a +16.1 relative corsi last year in Vancouver - he gets an undue amount of criticism (regarding his play on the ice - probably due in part to his sport-hunting and religious tweeting...)

Your going to have to explain Corsi to me before you use it in an argument against me haha. :P

I just look at the way I see Raymond play, he has speed that helps but other than that he makes ton's of mistakes, doesn't block shots, isn't physical, loses battles, to me he is just lucky he gets unlimited chances to play with such good players, that's the only thing keeping him in the + category IMO.

But I think we both agree Booth gets too much criticism, for really no good reason.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 01 December 2012 - 10:48 PM.

zackass.png

#1899 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

Philly wasn't loaded with centers when they had Richard and Carter - they got Schenn back in the Richards deal, Couturier in the Carter deal... aside from those two guys, they have Talbot and Rinaldo. They're loaded with wingers, which allowed them to move JVR...

I know what they got back in the deal, I was referring to when they had Carter, Richards, Briere, Umberger, all at the same time, and then Giroux in the mix shortly after. They alternated playing center/wing in the top six if I remember correctly until they found what worked the best. Seemed to work out alright.

#1900 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

It is my hope that some of you realize we're taking about trading from a top seeded team with bottom feeders whose crap that cannot make their team we put on pedestals.

It is grotesque at best.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 01 December 2012 - 11:07 PM.

#1901 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 17,280 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

Your going to have to explain Corsi to me before you use it in an argument against me haha. :P

I just look at the way I see Raymond play, he has speed that helps but other than that he makes ton's of mistakes, doesn't block shots, isn't physical, loses battles, to me he is just lucky he gets unlimited chances to play with such good players, that's the only thing keeping him in the + category IMO.

But I think we both agree Booth gets too much criticism, for really no good reason.

Raymond had a tough year last year - that's true. His relative corsi numbers went from a +13.8 (in 2009/10, his 53 point season) and +17.5 two years ago (when Kesler won the Selke) to a -0.1 last year - I'm not a stats junky, and these numbers have to be looked at in the greater context (all kinds of factors influence relative corsi - offensive zone starts, quality of competition, who your linemates are, what defensive pairiings are on the ice when you play, etc) , but they aren't meaningless either. I think those numbers simply reflect that Raymond (and Kesler) are very good at generating puck possession, creating scoring opportunities and preventing scoring opportunities relative to their team-mates. The Sedins generally also enjoy very high relative corsi numbers, but they get a far greater percentage of offensive zone starts...Anyhow, blah, blah... if people think Kadri gets a rough ride in Toronto....Raymond imo was a very good hockey player for the most part before he broke his back.

#1902 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,557 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

Raymond had a tough year last year - that's true. His relative corsi numbers went from a +13.8 (in 2009/10, his 53 point season) and +17.5 two years ago (when Kesler won the Selke) to a -0.1 last year - I'm not a stats junky, and these numbers have to be looked at in the greater context (all kinds of factors influence relative corsi - offensive zone starts, quality of competition, who your linemates are, what defensive pairiings are on the ice when you play, etc) , but they aren't meaningless either. I think those numbers simply reflect that Raymond (and Kesler) are very good at generating puck possession, creating scoring opportunities and preventing scoring opportunities relative to their team-mates. The Sedins generally also enjoy very high relative corsi numbers, but they get a far greater percentage of offensive zone starts...Anyhow, blah, blah... if people think Kadri gets a rough ride in Toronto....Raymond imo was a very good hockey player for the most part before he broke his back.

Different situations, Kadri's would be more comparable to Hodgson's when he was here, although I think Kadri has gone through more politics.

Either way this is fairly meaningless at this point.

What would u like in terms of prospects and what wouldn't you like? Kind of do a similar to thing to what I did:

Players I don't really want: Colbourne, Ashton.

Players I want: Biggs.

Players I wouldn't mind: Kadri, Finn, Frattin.

I'd like to hear what you want, don't mind, and don't want.

zackass.png

#1903 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

It is my hope that some of you realize we're taking about trading from a top seeded team with bottom feeders whose crap that cannot make their team we put on pedestals.

It is grotesque at best.

I think theres this new thing being introduced, from what I've heard its called a draft..... I don't know why but they made up these rules where they give these bottom feeders first spot in line at the buffet. Im tired of being dead last in the buffet line, and we've been given a chance to cut in front of a little kid who always seems to get into the top 10 somehow, and all we have to do is trade him our old dinner that we don't even want anymore for some fresh new food. Sounds good to me.... bro

#1904 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

I think theres this new thing being introduced, from what I've heard its called a draft..... I don't know why but they made up these rules where they give these bottom feeders first spot in line at the buffet. Im tired of being dead last in the buffet line, and we've been given a chance to cut in front of a little kid who always seems to get into the top 10 somehow, and all we have to do is trade him our old dinner that we don't even want anymore for some fresh new food. Sounds good to me.... bro

I don't buy it. The Canucks' window for a Cup is now (next three years). We need a bold move like what the NYR pulled; getting a Nash type player. Not a whole of of ifs we can complain about for the next ten years.

Real players for a real team.

#1905 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

I don't buy it. The Canucks' window for a Cup is now (next three years). We need a bold move like what the NYR pulled; getting a Nash type player. Not a whole of of ifs we can complain about for the next ten years.

Real players for a real team.

Of course of course, by all means! So what do you think.... Maybe if we throw in 5 first rounders with Luongo.... Giroux will be available? Lets phone up Pittsburgh, try to convince them Crosby will never be the same, and that the Fleury they saw in the playoffs is permanent, then we could get both for Luongo.... With Hillers health problems, maybe we could dump Luongo to anaheim for Bobby Ryan straight up? And Getzlaf is a joke, the guys on the decline every year and soon to be like Gomez we could probably get him as a throw in.

Any other suggestions?

#1906 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,491 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

Of course of course, by all means! So what do you think.... Maybe if we throw in 5 first rounders with Luongo.... Giroux will be available? Lets phone up Pittsburgh, try to convince them Crosby will never be the same, and that the Fleury they saw in the playoffs is permanent, then we could get both for Luongo.... With Hillers health problems, maybe we could dump Luongo to anaheim for Bobby Ryan straight up? And Getzlaf is a joke, the guys on the decline every year and soon to be like Gomez we could probably get him as a throw in.

Any other suggestions?

I heard this guy named Ilya Kovalchuk is trash. Maybe we can get him.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#1907 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

I heard this guy named Ilya Kovalchuk is trash. Maybe we can get him.

Yeah nobody likes Russians, too damn risky. We could probably get him for less than Luongo.

#1908 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,491 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

Yeah nobody likes Russians, too damn risky. We could probably get him for less than Luongo.

Yea like Raymond and a 7th. Max I'd give up.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#1909 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

Hey canucks_hockey_101, back on topic...... If you want the Canucks to pull off a Rick Nash type move, I think we need A Rick Nash player to trade in the first place don't you?

I don't completely agree with King of ES, that would be absurd, but Luongo's value is lower than it could because of age/contract etc (just not as low as he thinks....which is next to nothing)

If you want a move like that, be prepared to move Kassian, Gaunce, Schroeder, and Lack all at the same time, which I don't think the Canucks are willing to do for one player. Or if you meant you wanted to go the other way and get the same return for Rick Nash that Columbus got, than get ready to trade the Sedins, because Luongo isn't bringing that return.

#1910 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 17,280 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

Different situations, Kadri's would be more comparable to Hodgson's when he was here, although I think Kadri has gone through more politics.

Either way this is fairly meaningless at this point.

What would u like in terms of prospects and what wouldn't you like? Kind of do a similar to thing to what I did:

I'd like to hear what you want, don't mind, and don't want.

Players I really don't want: Kessel, Phaneuf. Connolly, Liles, Lombardi, Komisarek.

Players I want:

Players I don't mind: Lupul, Macarthur, Grabovski, Gardiner, Frattin, Bozak, Steckel, Biggs, draft picks.

Lupul and Macarthur - left wings - don't need any more.
Grabovski - probably the best Leaf roster player - cap hit comparable to Luongo - probably would not be content to be a third line center - not likely the best way to spend Luongo's value or cap hit.
Gardiner - not convinced this guy is as good as hyped or that he'd be a great fit on the Canucks blueline - but wouldn't complain if he was part of a deal.
Frattin - good fit imo - and the right time to acquire a guy who is not yet over-valued.
Bozak - decent 3rd line center option - UFA status - in line for greater cap hit... meh - a default due to few options but not terribly enthused.
Steckel - probably the best option that has not been rumoured/talked about. UFA upcoming as well - low cap hit - outstanding face off guy, big physical defensive center - he and Malhotra/Lapierre would be a stifling C duo on the bottom six.

Another proposal: Frattin, Steckel, Biggs, 1st.

#1911 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,557 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

Players I really don't want: Kessel, Phaneuf. Connolly, Liles, Lombardi, Komisarek.

Players I want:

Players I don't mind: Lupul, Macarthur, Grabovski, Gardiner, Frattin, Bozak, Steckel, Biggs, draft picks.

another proposal: Frattin, Steckel, Biggs, 1st.

We wouldn't get Phaneuf or Kessel anyways, and if we could I would jump on either immediatley. Especially Kessel but that won't ever happen, I disagree that he is underrated, he actually has an amazing shot and speed, can break games open.

I think that is stilln a bit much, maybe change the 1st to a 2nd.

I was Biggs in it, another prospect/useful roster player and a pick (hopefully)

What about Biggs, Franson, Bozak's UFA Rights (this is optional, not a big deal), then a 1st or 2nd (Probably a 2nd)

Then offer Franson to St.Louis for Sobotka. They need another D-man, both are about the same age and stage in there career, Franson probably has a bit more upside, value wise it is really fair, and fits for both teams. And Sobotka would be the perfect 3rd line center for us.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 02 December 2012 - 01:54 AM.

zackass.png

#1912 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

Well first off the Stats (that you love so much), and then way they are currently playing.

Kassian has 12 Points in 18 Games and he has been on the Wolves top line alot of the time, or else if not on the 2nd line. He has been a physical presence, he fights, hits and uses his size well to create chances.

Colbourne Has 6 Points in 18 Games. tonight he was on the 3rd line. He has had sometime on the 2nd. From what myself and other's have seen we all seems to say the same thing, he doesn't use his size well, doesn't create offense.

Kassian > Colbourne.

You're aware that you're basing your opinion on a sample size that's roughly 20% of a single AHL season, right?

Colborne had 39 points in 65 games in the AHL last year, as well, while Kassian had 26 in 30. Would he have been able to keep up the pace? Maybe. But let's not also forget that Colborne had 5 points in 10 NHL games last year, too, while Kassian had only 3 in 17.

Schroeder has 12 Points in 19 Games, he had a a bit of a rough start but this month he has probably one of if not the Wolves best forward. He has spent most of his time on the 2nd line.

Ashton has 7 points in 19 Games. He has been on the 2nd line most of his time like Schroeder (from what I have seen) he battles & skates hard but doesn't seem to do much, doesn't create alot of chances.

Schroeder > Ashton.

In 2011-12, Ashton had 35 points in 56 games (0.63 PPG) in the AHL, whereas Schroeder had 44 in 76 (0.58 PPG). So I guess Carter Ashton was the better player last year, than, while Jordan Schroeder is currently the better player, as of about 20% of the AHL's season?

Anyway, my point is based on the fact that at this point, all of these guys are of comparable value: 1st round picks that haven't done anything in the NHL.

#1913 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

I wouldn't put Huberdeau in that trade, but it shows how high the perceived value of Luongo is. I'm saying they are right, but when you have valued Luongo so far below EVERY media person who has talked this to death you have to start realizing you're off base.

"It shows how high the perceived value of Luongo is" from a biased Canuck fan's perspective, yes. My value is based on the external factors that are driving the deal, not how good Luongo is as a goaltender. Few buyers, age, length of term, NMC, etc., these are what's driving the deal.

And, yes it was the perfect response, because as you say, they are all so similar, why doesn't it make sense?
Hahaha, Patrick Whitehas similar potential to Kassian/Schroeder/Khadri/Biggs? Do you hear your self?
Oh wait, they were all first round picks. They are all equal. Forgot.
It was a perfect response, cause it puts your head in a logic swirly like a 5th grader in the boys room.

That's not what I said. Maybe you should try reading a little slower, as you seem to have regular difficulties with comprehension.

Ashton and Schroeder are both 2009 1st round picks. Schroeder #22, Ashton #29. Neither has established themselves as an NHL player. These guys are not comparable? Explain that one to me. Would Schroeder be a top-six C on most teams on the league, already, except that he was cursed to have been drafted by the almighty Vancouver Canucks? Is that what it is?

#1914 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:33 AM

Care to show us a quote? What are you talking about?

Gollumpus suggested it, Steven Stamkos' Mullet agreed that it was fair. From the Proposals and Armchair GMing board, thread titled "FLA-VAN".

These are the same two guys that have also suggested Teddy Purcell, Keith Aulie, + a 1st for Luongo.

#1915 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

By the time hockey resumes, which looks to be next season, by the time the trade deadline comes, some high profile players will be available, like every trade deadline.

Both Burke and Gillis have shot down Luongo rumors haven't they? Let's look at other teams instead of rehashing TOR and FLA.

The reason there are no other markets competing for Luongo's rights is the stalemate situation between the NHLPA and the NHL.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 02 December 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#1916 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

By the time hockey resumes, which looks to be next season, by the time the trade deadline comes, some high profile players will be available, like every trade deadline.

Both Burke and Gillis have shot down Luongo rumors haven't they? Let's look at other teams instead of rehashing TOR and FLA.

The reason there are no other markets competing for Luongo's rights is the stalemate situation between the NHLPA and the NHL.

meanwhile...still hitting the links...keeping golf game sharp :)

#1917 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

Didn't seem to be much activity over the summer.

#1918 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

"It shows how high the perceived value of Luongo is" from a biased Canuck fan's perspective, yes. My value is based on the external factors that are driving the deal, not how good Luongo is as a goaltender. Few buyers, age, length of term, NMC, etc., these are what's driving the deal.

That's not what I said. Maybe you should try reading a little slower, as you seem to have regular difficulties with comprehension.

Ashton and Schroeder are both 2009 1st round picks. Schroeder #22, Ashton #29. Neither has established themselves as an NHL player. These guys are not comparable? Explain that one to me. Would Schroeder be a top-six C on most teams on the league, already, except that he was cursed to have been drafted by the almighty Vancouver Canucks? Is that what it is?

You didn't mention that the show you were watching was Vancouver based. I don't get sportsnet pacific, which is what I assume you were watching. I live in Alberta, and watch predominantly TSN/SNETW. I also listen to Edmonton based team 1260 when ever I am in the car. They would all disagree with your evaluation of Luongo.

So, 3 effective 1st round picks seems like a reasonable price, to you?

Well, maybbe we could go back in time and offer them Patrick White, Nathan Smith, and Josh Holden, because they are all first round picks it would be insane for them not to accept this overpayment we are offering them.

He gave you three first round picks, so what's your issue. They MUST all be as good as any other first round picks.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#1919 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Didn't seem to be much activity over the summer.

Summers are relatively quiet...

#1920 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

That was when Lu was 27, regarded as a legitimate NHL franchise player. He was not 33, with a 10-year contract, being bailed on for a rookie starter from his team that he helped take to the SCF one year prior.

Compare apples with apples then...
Florida got an All Star power forward, a blue chip dman prospect and a starting goalie for Lu. But now you are saying after six years the Canucks shouldn't get anything. ???
Posters are suggesting secondary pieces, not even close to what the Canucks gave up.

Lu, Sauve, 3rd
For
Rielly or JVR

Dreaming...

Edited by sampy, 02 December 2012 - 12:12 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.