3002 replies to this topic

#1951 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

Yeah G, I don't think Gillis will get much more than that if he chooses to trade Lu right away after lockout ends. It will be a sprint to finish on a 42+ game season. If he really wants to get something good he will pbbly have to wait until next off season.

I think MG is on record saying he will keep both goalies if the right deal is not available.

IMO it a solid deal. Kadri is what he is, he's been playing great in the AHL lately. Had 2 goals last game, set a record with 5 assists couple of games ago. Bozak gives you a solid 3rd line C and Franson is a big body right shooting Dman. Bozak will be UFA but I think MG will be able to keep him after Bozak sees how good an organisation this is and the talent level of the team. Particularly if Canucks win the Cup. And if they do win the Cup and he leaves, its still worth it.

Teams who are deep down the middle usually have a good chance at the Cup. Sedin, Kesler, Bozak, Lappy, Manny, Kadri gives you a lot of depth. If someone gets hurt you move the other to C otherwise they can play wing.

#1952 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

The looks trade is a bit light for my tastes, even if it were drafted prior to the lockout. Assuming there is a season this season, getting Bozak for now only a few months (and then he could walk as a UFA) doesn't make for a great return.

Kadri has started to look pretty good with the Marlies, and considering the Leafs lack of quality centers, it suggests to me that Burke would want to keep him.

Kadri and whatever Gillis can get for Luongo isn't much of a return.

Franson would improve the deal somewhat, but even he might not want to stay around as a bottom-6 d-man.

I dont think Burke has much of an issue trading Kadri, you make good points behind your opinion. But there have been alot of politics there, which I think is a factor why it might not be a big issue for Burke to let him go. plus he wasn't even on there roster, and they do have Grabovski, Connolly, Lombardi, and McClement who could all be top 9 options. Even Steckel could be a good bottom 6 option. Then Colbourne coming up.

And if we got Franson what about flipping him to St.Louis for Sobotka? They need a D-man, it is fair valuewise. He would be the perfect 3C and he can also play wing when needed with injuries or whatever the case may be.

zackass.png

#1953 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

People taking discussion to the reports thread yet again... Why? Bloody annoying

#1954 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

I know I noticed that too.

zackass.png

#1955 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

Do you even know what my evaluation of Luongo is? I wanted to keep him, and trade the other guy. I think he's still very good, and he'll absolutely help whatever team he ends up on.

The issue is the external factors tied to this deal: his age, contract, NMC, and the fact that most teams are already heavily invested in goaltenders. Add that to the fact that Luongo's asked out, and other GMs see the position that Gillis is in, and none will want to overpay. This is not an ideal environment to be selling an asset like Luongo.

Very weak response on your part, as the guys that you had mentioned were mostly taken many years ago, and have offered ample evidence which confirms that they're not NHL-caliber players, unlike any of the TOR/VAN prospects discussed.

I mean valuation not evaluation. I know you have a major hard on for Lu, but somehow other teams won't. I'm gonna laugh when Gillis keeps him till the trade deadline, and then turns him in to a pretty sweet return.

First of all, I didn't mention those guys (who has trouble with reading again?), and that's why in that post the snide remark was,"why don't we go back in time and offer them..." Of course they're old now. You're just sad that you don't have a proper response to it.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#1956 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:25 AM

I mean valuation not evaluation. I know you have a major hard on for Lu, but somehow other teams won't. I'm gonna laugh when Gillis keeps him till the trade deadline, and then turns him in to a pretty sweet return.

To be frank, there's no better fit for Lu than the Vancouver Canucks. Next best fit would be the Chicago Blackhawks. Is Florida really a contender, if they were to get Luongo? Not in my opinion. Toronto? Probably not.

And OK, you think that the trade deadline is the magical time where someone will pay a pretty penny for Lu's services. That would have to be a first, as I don't recall many 10-year contracts being exchanged at that time.

#1957 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

Compare apples with apples then...
Florida got an All Star power forward, a blue chip dman prospect and a starting goalie for Lu. But now you are saying after six years the Canucks shouldn't get anything. ???
Posters are suggesting secondary pieces, not even close to what the Canucks gave up.

Lu, Sauve, 3rd
For
Rielly or JVR

Dreaming...

I would say that we most definitely won this trade at the time.

Bertuzzi had a lousy 03/04 season even before the Moore incident. He's been washed up ever since, no longer an all-star.
Allen has never been more than a 4th D in his career to my knowledge.
Auld was a starting goalie by default in 05/06. He is a career backup who's played for 7 other teams since leaving the Canucks.

To Van - Luongo

To Fla - Washed up power forward.
- 4/5 D-man
- Backup goalie that no team wants for more than a season.

Here we are 6 years later, what should Gillis and the fans really expect in return for Luongo now? Considering his age, contract, NTC, and playoff reputation, I think we'd be lucky to get a similar package to what we gave up in the first place.

#1958 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

Wait... Wait..... Waaiiiit.... Leafs fans freak out halfway into the season, Burke's head is being considered for the chopping block...

Lou, Sauvé, 3rd
For
Rielly, Biggs AND JVR.

Burke get's fired for making this trade and never get's another GM job in the NHL.

#1959 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

To be frank, there's no better fit for Lu than the Vancouver Canucks. Next best fit would be the Chicago Blackhawks. Is Florida really a contender, if they were to get Luongo? Not in my opinion. Toronto? Probably not.

And OK, you think that the trade deadline is the magical time where someone will pay a pretty penny for Lu's services. That would have to be a first, as I don't recall many 10-year contracts being exchanged at that time.

There is, in fact, no better place for Lou, than Vancouver. Schneider on the other hand, can fit on 25 of 30 teams. Buy low (draft Schneider), sell high ( trade Schneider for top talent). Vancouver fans' best chance to win a Cup resides in forgiveness. As the Cup merits not a riot, neither does it merit vindiction.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 03 December 2012 - 10:38 AM.

#1960 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,510 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

What the....just saw this on my fb:

Posted Image

http://www.facebook.com/sportsnet

Edited by Heretic, 03 December 2012 - 10:56 AM.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#1961 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Posted Image

Looks good doesn't it?

#1962 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

There is, in fact, no better place for Lou, than Vancouver. Schneider on the other hand, can fit on 25 of 30 teams. Buy low (draft Schneider), sell high ( trade Schneider for top talent). Vancouver fans' best chance to win a Cup resides in forgiveness. As the Cup merits not a riot, neither does it merit vindiction.

Geez GHL you never will get it,lol
Florida is the best place for Lu by a country mile. Lu has a family and his children will be enterring the school system very soon, and being closer to home would be better.
The 2nd best place for Lu is Toronto because Lu is in fact a very good regular season goalie and would give the Leafs a shot at making the playoffs.
Vancouver is about as far from Florida as you can get and Lu has had way to many epic meltdowns for many fans and players to have faith in him.
Praying for his forgiveness and thinking he will up his game(PLAYOFFS) in his mid 30s is pure fantasy.

#1963 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

The first Cup is the hardest to win. Since Vancouver has not won one, Lu only has to win one in his career in order to break the barrier between Cup winners and non Cup winners. Just one.

A punishing 1D is what's needed; not a Luongo trade. Schneider will most likely melt away with time as the other Vancover goalies have. We're lucky to have a goaltender that resists total disintegration. I for one didn't like how Schneider reacted to losing the final game; he looked scared, whereas Luongo seems to finally be able to handle the media pressure, even toying with it as if it were a small child.

#1964 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

The question is not whether The Canucks are a good fit for Lou, but whether Lou is a good fit for the Canucks? In light of the fact that Lou is being shopped, one would have to think ES, that the answer is NO !!

#1965 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

The first Cup is the hardest to win. Since Vancouver has not won one, Lu only has to win one in his career in order to break the barrier between Cup winners and non Cup winners. Just one.

A punishing 1D is what's needed; not a Luongo trade. Schneider will most likely melt away with time as the other Vancover goalies have. We're lucky to have a goaltender that resists total disintegration. I for one didn't like how Schneider reacted to losing the final game; he looked scared, whereas Luongo seems to finally be able to handle the media pressure, even toying with it as if it were a small child.

You are so enamoured with Lou that you are blinded by reality. Say what you like but Schneider has been chosen, by much more experienced hockey minds than someone taking a 101 class !! Lou might be able to handle media pressure, but unfortunately, its his game that suffers in the playoff pressure !

#1966 Great Save Luongo!!!

Great Save Luongo!!!

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

Mobile
Posted Image

#1967 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

What could Schneider bring us that would reverse our fortunes?

#1968 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,092 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

Posted Image

So this is a thing now :lol:

some retailer is getting ahead of themselves...
hey Leafs fans, tell us what you really want for Xmas!
(the price just went up...) :shock:

Edited by oldnews, 03 December 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#1969 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,241 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

I would say something like this (this is what I would trade him for)

1 top six forward (A Nicklas Backstrom type player)
1 bottom six forward (A Brandon Prust/Steve Ott type player)
A top prospect and/or a 1st

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#1970 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

quick. lundqvist, lol

#1971 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,092 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Yeah because he came off an injury, and before that he was actually a good player. So there is a reason there and something to aim for.

Plus he is an RFA, why would you give that asset away for nothing. If he has another terrible season I doubt he will remain with the club.

I don't believe Corsi is the be all end all, but it is a useful stat. My point is that he doesn't block shots, he loses battles, gives the puck away, isn't physical, these aren't really things that can be proven or disproven because he has gotten unless chances to play in the top 6, which boost his corsi even if he plays well, and either way.

how can corsi prove if he wins battles, gives the puck away, or blocks shots?

The only good about his defensive play is that he can play his position and that he has speed, that's pretty much it IMO.

Raymond wasn't as strong on his skates last year, that much is true - and we certainly never heard the end of it - for every fall, (he's not only outright fast, but he's used to changing direction on a dime) there were a thousand CDC complaints about him tripping over lines..
The thing about his defensive game is that you don't necessarily have to hit people or block shots to be a very effective defensive player (ie. NIk Lidstrom! - and Raymond actually outhits Lidstrom) - his speed and his commitment to backchecking make him pretty stifling to play against - how many odd-man rushes with Raymond hightailing it back, and you don't need to be a freight train to intercept passes, get in passing lanes, lift sticks (reminds me of Brett Hedican who had similar attributes) - just a different kind of defensive player; who doesn't do everything, but imo is over-berated considering the two-way role he plays.

People can say he had endless top 6 opportunities last year, but really, Kesler was hobbled and frustrated by the suggestions that his time be given to a rookie, Booth was new here, and suffered a knee injury - the second line never got rolling - Raymond's injury and struggles were only 1/3 of it...

Edited by oldnews, 03 December 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#1972 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Put raymOnd on the third line and tell him to forget about scoring. He could be a great defensive player with his speed. He just doesn't have what it takes to be a top 6 impact player.

#1973 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

People taking discussion to the reports thread yet again... Why? Bloody annoying

Lol because this isn't a discussion thread any more, it's post something and then get attacked by ES no matter what position you take.

I for one am thrilled with the rumour of Kadri, Bozak and a 2nd for Luongo. This is the price MG set, a roster player, a top prospect and a pick. Doesn't get any better than that. Having Bozak as a 3rd line centre gives us that scoring depth we had with Hodgson last season. Kadri might not make it right away but as I understand it he can play wing as well, and frankly anything is an upgrade over Raymond especially since Kadri can actually make a pass.

If I were Schroeder I would feel absolutely shafted.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#1974 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Kadri Bozak a low pick and rights to Franson and we gots a deal (throw in Raymond or pick along with luongo)

Edited by Here's Johnny, 03 December 2012 - 06:34 PM.

#1975 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

I hope MG Counters that proposal with at least

Bozak
Kadri
2013 1st

For
Luongo

Bozak is a UFA, Kadri is not liked by the leafs and was drafted high but has never played like it, aside from the first, nothing they give is is of much use to us. They are still getting the better player in the trade

#1976 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

The Luongo trade philosophy:

Random NHL team:
Luongo

VAN
A marginal player whose in and out of the lineup,
A rookie who will never make it,
A 1st round draft pick, hopefully from a bottom feeder.

If that's too much, then drop the first. The fans would rather see crap spare parts never make the team then having Luongo in net for one second more. In fact, he should never set foot in Vancouver again, even if he plays for another team.

Spare parts only please. I ask: is this a society of winners or a society of token beggars?

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 03 December 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#1977 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Posted Image

http://www.facebook.com/sportsnet

So fake. Look at the differences between the two jerseys. No maple leaf on shoulder of Luongo jersey. The white line patterns are different. Luongo jersey is lighter shade of blue. Not to mention the obvious photoshop thats been done.

#1978 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,924 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

So fake. Look at the differences between the two jerseys. No maple leaf on shoulder of Luongo jersey. The white line patterns are different. Luongo jersey is lighter shade of blue. Not to mention the obvious photoshop thats been done.

Uh, nice try though?

http://sports.yahoo....54644--nhl.html

That photo was captured by Andrew (@manbearpiglpu) at Pro Image at the Upper Canada Mall in Newmarket...

Why did Pro Image decide to start selling Roberto Luongo Leafs jerseys before the team can even trade for him? We decided to find out.

First off, it's a Luongo jersey, rather than jersey(s). And you can thank the lockout for it.

It went up about two weeks ago, as Leafs jerseys (or really anything hockey) haven't been moving during the work stoppage. One of the store's owners decided to create something to garner a little buzz and attract some eyes to the hockey merch: a sweater for Roberto Luongo, No. 1, Leafs goalie.

"It's just like a conversation thing we got going on. Trying to get people to talk about something other than the lockout," said Luigi Taddeo of Pro Image.

So they created one jersey and stuck it on a rack of non-Luongo jerseys to make it look like a full shipment had arrived. Soon, they had customers coming in uttering "Did Luongo just get traded to the Leafs?!"

"It's pretty easy to change if things don't work out," said Taddeo.

EDIT: It'd help if you were aware of teams having more than one jersey, where in this case the owners of the shop customized a Leafs 3rd jersey with Luongo's name and the Van Riemsdyk jersey is one of the regular home jerseys.
Spoiler

Edited by elvis15, 03 December 2012 - 04:05 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#1979 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,510 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

Maybe, but as someone else pointed out earlier, that's the Leaf's alternate "3rd" Jersey....

Edit: oops - someone beat me to it!

Edited by Heretic, 03 December 2012 - 04:05 PM.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#1980 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,924 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

^ Happens to the best of us, and I had to make a few edits to get there.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.